Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TOMTOMXXL Classic GPS Sat Nav - NAV2 or NAV3?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TOMTOMXXL Classic GPS Sat Nav - NAV2 or NAV3?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rhubarbe
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:56 am    Post subject: TOMTOMXXL Classic GPS Sat Nav - NAV2 or NAV3? Reply with quote

Hi

Being a long time GO720 user I need a new car nav for 'occasional use'. I bought a new Start 25 but I am having all sorts of problems updating the maps so I think it's going back for a refund.

Currys are currently selling the TOMTOMXXL Classic GPS Sat Nav. Is this a NAV 3 or the older NAV2 device where you can see the device as a removable drive?

Regards - Andy

Quick edit: Having looked at the TT Website it seems that this device uses TT Home rather than MyTT. I assume from this that it is a NAV2 device. Confirmation would be appreciated. Smile
justbrowsing
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confirmed, it IS a NAV2 (TTHome) device

NAV3 devices:-
The following navigation devices connect to MyTomTom: GO 800/1000/2000 series, GO LIVE Top Gear edition, Via series, Start 20 series, Start 60, Blue&Me TomTom 2 LIVE, Sony XNV, TomTom Connect.
tgold
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy, sorry you are having a problem with your Start25 map. As you know, the NAV2 environment does offer more flexibility in maintenance, but I suggest you do not use that as the sole criterion. AFAIK you can not get a Lifetime subscription for European maps on NAV2 devices, and that will be a major factor in the lifetime cost of ownership. I have both a Start 25 and an XXL with European maps and find the navigation algorithms and the POI database superior on the Start 25. Also I have never had any problems with maps, QuickStart and Corrections downloads. On the down side the Start is less flexible to maintain, can not be backed up and has a less sensitive GPS receiver, so is slower to get a satellite lock. In practice I now use the Start 25 as my primary navigator and only keep the XXL around as a backup.
Rhubarbe
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tgold wrote:
Excellent stuff.

Hi, thanks for that. These are my feelings as well. I have used the Start 25 about twice a month since buying it in December and it has been great (bar the crap sound).

The problem is the download process, I first had one from Amazon that failed to upgrade the map and after a number of long tortuous sessions on the phone with the hopeless TT support they came to the conclusion it was the device itself (which I'm sure it wasn't) and gave me a return code which I used for a refund.

I weakened when they appeared for £100 delivered from QVC with lifetime maps and thought I try again.

I've tried all sorts even to the extent of having a netbook I no longer use set up with a clean install of Win 7 fully updated with no firewall, AV or any other software installed to update the TT. The small 'daily ' updates have worked fine but the current 905 map update has caused the problem. First time it started to download from the PC to the device it gets to about 18% and then falls over with various errors. Since then it has been reporting communication errors and the device now says 'No maps found'. I've tried on 3 computers now and I get the same.

My sessions on the phone with TT were interesting with them saying things like 'MS didn't make IE so it would work with TT' and asking what lead I was using to connect the device to my computer and suggesting that I try a 'better' lead (than the one they supplied!!). They also kept telling me that my downloads from them to my PC were corrupt despite me telling them that the MD5 checks recorded in their .xml file were shown as correct (that blew their minds!).

I'd love to keep the Start 25 but even if I sort the problem this time will it reoccur again next time. The other problem is that I have been this morning looking at alternatives and there don't seem to be any. I find the routing on a couple of friends Garmins to be weird. The Android version of TT seems to be flawed. I'll have to take a deep breath and try again!!

Fortunately, I can get a refund from QVC if something goes wrong in the first 6 months.

Thanks again for the reply - Andy Smile
Rhubarbe
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justbrowsing wrote:
Confirmed, it IS a NAV2 (TTHome) device

Ta. Smile

Cheers - Andy
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try:
1. Clearing the cache
2. Make sure you use a usb port on the back of the computer
3. Try the process with Chrome if IE is problematic for you.
4. Ensure you don't have a firewall and/or anti-virus package blocking transfer from the map servers.
Rhubarbe
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried all sorts again:

1. Clean install of Win 7 SP1, carry out all updates.
2. Install Chrome and ensure set as default browser.
3. Install MyTomTom & connect device to install drivers.
4. Check, device appears OK in Devices/Network connections.
5. Reboot PC (several times).
6. Carry out drum-roll reboot of TT.
7. Connect TT to USB.
8. Process starts and then the TT shows; "Something has gone wrong... The connection to the server was lost. Keep your device connected!" ad-infinitum.
9. Try 2 different leads each time rebooting PC & TT - same.
10. Tried the TT Restore software process. The PC downloaded a few files but I dont think they were passed to the TT, I might be wrong.
11. Retried update process - same result as 8 above.
12 . Repeated 2 - 11 above on another PC. No joy.

Seems like the initial attempt to update has corrupted the device.

Looking around the Web there seems to be lots of problems with NAV3 updates. This process appears to be far too fragile.

Not happy! Sad Mad Exclamation

Andy

Last edited by Rhubarbe on Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rhubarbe
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deleted. Replied instead of editing!
Rhubarbe
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've wasted the best part of a day on this damn thing. Evil or Very Mad

I've repeated the process I posted above several times and no joy.

I've removed all software & drivers and reinstalled.

I've tried USB 1.1 instead of 2.

I've tried setting the IP manually, no joy.

The TT shows up in device manager and I can ping the it all the time it is connected but it still will not update.

It seems that my initial attempt to update the device failed and it is now corrupted.

TomTom need to sort this process out and make it more robust or at least provide a utility to wipe and return the device to a state where it can be updated.

Looks like it's going back for a refund. Sad

Cheers to all for the help - Andy.
Rhubarbe
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deleted. Double post. I'm beginning to think it's not my day. Rolling Eyes

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: