Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Running CamerAlert in background/standby?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Running CamerAlert in background/standby?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Apple Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GSDog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject: Running CamerAlert in background/standby? Reply with quote

I've set up CamerAlert with the bluetooth in my car and it is excellent.

However, as soon as my iPhone goes into standby mode or if I manually set the iPhone to standby by pressing the off button the app will only give a visual notification on my phone as will not give any audible alerts. This means I need to constantly look at the phone screen in order to see any alerts...

How do I get the app to give me audible alerts whilst the phone is in standby?

The only 'solution' I've found is to put the app into prevent standby mode but this means the screen is on 24/7 and it drains the battery very quickly.

Thanks.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Running CamerAlert in background/standby? Reply with quote

GSDog wrote:
The only 'solution' I've found is to put the app into prevent standby mode but this means the screen is on 24/7 and it drains the battery very quickly
Had you thought of killing the app when not in use? Can this be done on Apple devices?
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Running CamerAlert in background/standby? Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
GSDog wrote:
The only 'solution' I've found is to put the app into prevent standby mode but this means the screen is on 24/7 and it drains the battery very quickly
Had you thought of killing the app when not in use? Can this be done on Apple devices?

Erm... but then it won't work... :/

Best thing to do, in my opinion, is get a car charger to keep the phone powered when in use.

MaFt
GSDog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Running CamerAlert in background/standby? Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
GSDog wrote:

I'm not sure.

I have read that CamerAlert is able to give audible warnings when in background mode but in my experience that does not happen. As soon as the app is put into the background or my iPhone 4 is put into standby/screen locked I get absolutely no audible warnings, only a tiny blue notification on the screen.

What I'd really like is to be able to get into my car with my phone in my pocket and totally forget about it but still be able to get audible alerts from CamerAlert. It's not really practical for me to have my phone out with the app at the foreground with the screen on all the time.
GSDog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Running CamerAlert in background/standby? Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
M8TJT wrote:
GSDog wrote:

Erm... but then it won't work... :/

Best thing to do, in my opinion, is get a car charger to keep the phone powered when in use.

MaFt

I have just ordered one funnily enough. Cool

So is it not possible to have the app give audible warnings whilst the phone is in standby?
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It *does* work when the phone is in standby. However, you mention that you have got it set up to use bluetooth so it may be that your phone's bluetooth (or your bluetooth receiver) is not playing nicely when the phone is in standby.

As an experiment can you go for a drive with the phone in standby BUT not connect to bluetooth? I.e. so you just get the sounds from the phone itself.

This will 1) prove that the app *does* give audio in the background and 2) give us an idea if the issue is with the bluetooth set up.

Regardless of using it in standby or not I'd still recommend using a car charger when using GPS over any considerable distance.

MaFt
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Running CamerAlert in background/standby? Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
but then it won't work
I know that. I'm not that stupid even if I frequently give that impression. The OP said he had it on 24/7 and I'm fairly certain that he doesn't actually drive for 24 hours every day and I did say 'when not in use' Very Happy
Having defended myself, I think that your solution is probably the best way around the battery discharge problem.
GSDog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
It *does* work when the phone is in standby. However, you mention that you have got it set up to use bluetooth so it may be that your phone's bluetooth (or your bluetooth receiver) is not playing nicely when the phone is in standby.

As an experiment can you go for a drive with the phone in standby BUT not connect to bluetooth? I.e. so you just get the sounds from the phone itself.

This will 1) prove that the app *does* give audio in the background and 2) give us an idea if the issue is with the bluetooth set up.

Regardless of using it in standby or not I'd still recommend using a car charger when using GPS over any considerable distance.

MaFt

Ok. I've been out doing some testing this morning.

The app does give me audible alerts in standby mode when the "Audio route" is set to phone. However, once I change the "Audio route" to bluetooth it does not give any audible alerts when in standby mode; only visual.

Like I said above, the audible alerts via bluetooth work fine when the phone is not in standby, so it is definitely something to do with being in standby or in background mode which prevents the audible alerts via bluetooth from working.

Any chance the devs can look into this? If it was working I'd simply be able to forget about the app but as it stands I'd have to plug my phone into the charger and change the settings every time so that it doesn't go into standby. Crying or Very sad
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can you get visual notifications when the phone is in standby?

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
How can you get visual notifications when the phone is in standby?

Local notifications?
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting use case. I get a feeling that this scenario never occurred in Apple's design sessions (specifically, starting a new BT connection for A2DP while the device is in standby). In fact, the sound through device speaker only works in standby because we benefit from an undisclosed glitch in the OS.

We'll look into our BT options some more, but for now your best solution for now is to get the car charger, and to set CamerAlert to "Prevent standby".

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Apple Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: