Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speeding Lorry Driver Calls For HGV Limit To Be Raised
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speeding Lorry Driver Calls For HGV Limit To Be Raised
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carl_w
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaTe wrote:
And then they have to differentiate between all the vehicles - sorry but I don't really see that as feasible,
What? Image all vehicles travelling at more than 50mph and ANPR their number plates. Discard all of those with the taxation class of Private/Light Goods. Job's a good'un. Very Happy
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given that GPSW is all about speed cameras, my post on this was in jest. Did you not notice the Very Happy But now that a couple of people have taken it on board Very Happy
Carl wrote:
What? Image all vehicles travelling at more than 50mph and ANPR their number plates. Discard all of those with the taxation class of Private/Light Goods. Job's a good'un
Exactly, it would be a piece of cake with SPECS type cams. I was not intending to refer to any type of cam in my mild trolling but SPECS type cams already have ANPR and considerable computing power, just need a slight re-design to measure instantaneous speed. Having said that, even a plain vanilla prehistoric GATSO can tell the difference between a car and a truck.
JaTe wrote:
They would be flashing all the time otherwise to record every vehicle passing below.
SPECS do not 'flash'
JaTe wrote:
.....whereby motorists would move back in to the appropriate lane on the approach to a camera and then move back out once past
Possibly, but at least their attention would be brought to tha fact that they shouldn't be there. Most middle lane hoggers seem totally oblivious of the fact they should not be there. Shocked

I'll get me coat Out of here
emjaiuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allan_whoops wrote:
If they are looking at speed limits for HGVs then they should also bring in a minimum speed limit of 60 on motorways for any vehicle under 3.5t who is NOT using lane 1.

Totally agree but then how would you educate them to know that? I'm frequently coming across bunching of slow moving traffic on motorways, which is caused by lorries pulling out of lane 1 to overtake cars which are travelling at or below 50.

Malcolm
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaTe wrote:
....I assume that they can only do one thing at a time i.e. monitor and record speeding vehicles. They would be flashing all the time otherwise to record every vehicle passing below.

Even the basic old-fashioned Gatso cameras can tell the difference between trucks and cars

See there are two sets of dials to set the trigger speeds, the top one is for lorries and the bottom one for cars.
(This ones calibrated in km/h, my picture of an mph one is taken at a different angle and you can't see the picture of the truck)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: