Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speeding Lorry Driver Calls For HGV Limit To Be Raised
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speeding Lorry Driver Calls For HGV Limit To Be Raised
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Speeding Lorry Driver Calls For HGV Limit To Be Raised Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.com
A lorry driver, who was caught speeding by a speed camera, is calling for people to participate in the government review of HGV speed limits after describing the current limit as "life-threatening".

The limit for Alan Kaye's 44-tonne lorry, and other HGVs weighing in excess of 7.5 tonnes, is 40mph.

Mr Kaye was caught doing 48mph on the A15 at Snitterby, and has since been urging people to get on board with proposed government changes to HGV speed limits.

In a bid to boost trade, the Department of Transport has proposed plans to raise the limit on single carriageways for HGVs over 7.5 tonnes to 45 or 50mph.

Mr Kaye said: "Slow-moving trucks on single carriageway roads are causing life-threatening situations by impatient drivers making unnecessary and dangerous overtaking manoeuvres to get past. Time is running out to have your say on this important issue."

Discussion got underway back in November and is due to come to an end on 1 February. The speed limit for HGVs between 3.5 and 7.5 tonnes will be kept at 50mph.

Since 49% of British motorists ignore the current 70mph speed limit on the motorways, the Department for Transport hope the increased limit will reduce the number of speeding motorists.

Source

Consultation
email icon

w_axlrose1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So following this lorry drivers logic there seems little point in raising the limit for HGVs at all unless they are going to be doing the same 60mph that other road users are doing. An HGV traveling at 50mph just takes longer to pass than one traveling at 40mph so creates even more danger.

Confused
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be a consequence that will probably be totally missed by the people making the decisions Rolling Eyes So the optimum would possibly slow them down to let's say 20MPH to make overtaking less hazardous than it is at present Very Happy
carl_w
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Except that the art of overtaking appears to have been lost, and the HGV would be followed by a queue of cars also travelling at 20mph, not leaving enough gaps between them to overtake safely without overtaking all of them.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just goes to show. That consequence was totally missed by the person who made the previous post to yours Laughing Laughing
chrissuk2000
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course banning them from being on the road altogether would work, albeit a little counter productive Question
Lets face it 40 mph is a little tardy. Technology has moved on a bit and modern trucks are significantly safer than some of the old bangers that are allowed to drive at the national speed limit.
Sionyn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was under the impression that part of the reason for a lower speed limit on heavier vehicles was because of increased damage to roads with higher speeds.
I have no evidence or links to back this up, however, so it's quite possible that I'm talking out of my posterior. I'd be very happy to be proved wrong (I learn stuff that way!).
Even if this is true, of course, road construction (at least on main roads) has presumably improved along with advances in truck construction and safety - so this may no longer be relevant...
{shrug}
C1man
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my 3.5 ton motorhome I have no restiction on single lane roads but rarely drive above 50mph. When towing my car the limit drops to 50mph and I probably average around 45mph only occasionally aproaching the limit.

I am happy with these limits for me but think artics could be relaxed a little to 45mph.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaTe wrote:
I would agree with carl_w, the art of overtaking has been lost to generally poor driving standards.

As a general point, would anyone agree with me that the OPPORTUNITIES to overtake are so few and far between these days that the art is being lost due to lack of practice! I see many drivers who seem to have forgotten that it is EVER legal to overtake.

The road authorities seem hell bent on making it as difficult to overtake as possible - there are now so many additional bollards, central reservations, cross hatchings etc. placed down the middle of our roads.
I can remember in the 70s and 80s (when I would have been driving a much less powerful car), that I was able to find safe places to overtake much more frequently than I can do now.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drive in to Lincolnshire on a regular basis and the roads with National Speed Limit are a joke, combining two classes of vehicles on the same road with different speed limits is without doubt contributing to the high accident rate.
Switch from National Speed limit to 50MPH and I am sure the accident rate will reduce, the A15 and A17 don't have many spots suitable for safe overtaking - Mike
carl_w
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:

The road authorities seem hell bent on making it as difficult to overtake as possible - there are now so many additional bollards, central reservations, cross hatchings etc. placed down the middle of our roads.
I can remember in the 70s and 80s (when I would have been driving a much less powerful car), that I was able to find safe places to overtake much more frequently than I can do now.

Agree completely. Plus hedges allowed to overgrow where previously they were trimmed back so you could see round a sweeping bend.

I wouldn't be surprised if they made overtaking illegal some day.
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful what you wish for - many rural A and B roads have had their speed lmits reduced to 50mph for cars and bikes by councils which now have powers to do so. Imagine what would happen if HGVs had their nationally regulated speed limit increased to 45 or 50mph.
Allan_whoops
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they are looking at speed limits for HGVs then they should also bring in a minimum speed limit of 60 on motorways for any vehicle under 3.5t who is NOT using lane 1.
TuppyTrucker
Lifetime Member

Location: Mandeville en Bessin, 5km from OMAHA beach, Nomandie, France

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 40mph limit on LGVs is dangerous. The police on the road take no action against trucks doing 50mph, and the only convictions are from cameras. 40mph is too slow and encourages car drivers to overtake, often dangerously. At 50mph most car drivers are happy to sit behind and not make a dangerous overtake. Take a trip on the A605 and watch.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaTe wrote:
The idea is fair but how would you see it being enforced?
Speed cameras! How else would it be done Very Happy Very Happy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: