Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - What a sad waste!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

What a sad waste!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject: What a sad waste! Reply with quote

Being something of an idiot with tech stuff, I regularly buy new stuff, even though my old stuff isn't broken. So I end up with several new stuff thingies, half of which are not in use, albeit in good working order. Normally, I pass these on to family - grandchildren etc, who are grateful enough.

But this last weekend I decided I could no longer use my desk in the summerhouse, due to there being two printers in the way - a colour laser and an A3 inkjet.

So I got together the driver disks, installation posters, power and USB cables and rang the nearest British Heart Foundation furniture and electricals shop (rather than try to book a collection online). No thanks, we don't accept those sort of things because the electricals have to be tested. Huh! How can they be an electricals shop if they don't accept electrical stuff which has to be tested?

So I phoned my next door primary school. No thanks, it has to be tested.

So I took them down to the local recycling depot and pulled up alongside the "Computers and Monitors" shed. Take 'em up to the blue bin at the top, mate - that's chuck them noisily into an ordinary bulk waste container and hear them smash apart. Sad Sad

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give to a good cause? Seems like you can't even do that in this PC, verging on the lunatic state the country is getting into. Makes you want to weep. If they 'need testing' then damn well get them 'tested'
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis do you not have a freecycle website in your area, i find it most usefull for clearing out items, also it is most surprising what people ask for and seem to get.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never heard of Freecycle. Wish I had and I'll look in future. Thanks a lot!

xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Never heard of Freecycle. Wish I had and I'll look in future. Thanks a lot!

Well worth looking into, have used ours down here on numerous occasions to move on fully working printers, monitors and a cooker. Also saves on petrol travelling to your local recycling centre.
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are numerous Facebook groups for "Items for sale in XYZ Town" that could probably of taken it off your hands.

As for the testing my guess is they are referring to PAT testing. Well, seeing as ALL their equipment needs testing on an annual basis I don't see why that would be an issue. Worst-case scenario is they just did all their tests the day before so they'd have to wait 364 days until they could test it and use it.

As for BHF a friend of mine volunteered at one solely to do PAT testing for them. Surely they could simply put an advert in the window asking for volunteers to come in once a month and test the few electrical items that have been donated?

PAT testing, along with lots of other H&S stuff, really annoys me. Not because it's there - it makes sense to keep things safe. No, what annoys me is people's attitudes towards it, their lack of knowledge about what can/can't be done and the general consensus that H&S law actually forbids things. It doesn't. H&S In The Workplace reg's simply states that anything that is done must be done safely and you must be able to prove that it was done safely. So when McDonalds tells the mother of the screaming hungry child that they're not allowed to heat the jar of baby food 'because of health and safety' there's no specific H&S regulation that says 'you must not heat baby food for visitors'. The reg's simply say 'if you do something, do it safely'. A simple risk assessment can easily clear that up - yes it might mean silly signs on a microwave that state the obvious like 'follow manufacturers instructions for heating food', 'microwave only to be used for heating baby food', 'do not use metal objects in the microwave' and 'take care contents may be hot' - then McDonalds can stick a microwave out front for customers to use. The RA would also state the cleaning schedule for the microwave and also that it should be on the annual PAT test schedule. All perfectly legit with regards to H&S.

Rant over...

MaFt
(ex-H&S rep for Unison)
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just put them on eBay? You could make some money out of this approach too, which you could then use to buy more new stuff (or if the conscience is nagging too much, donate the proceeds to charity).
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you MaFt for some good sense about the testing policy stupidity (but I'll not be going to Facebook, spawn of the D).

Daggers, I'll not be going to eBay either - another spawn of the D. Evil or Very Mad

Kritou
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not tested this on Snopes yet, but I understand that unused/unopened pharmaceuticals can no longer be charitably donated overseas to the likes of Somalia as Brussels deems they are now "waste" and must go to landfill ........
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another BIG vote for Freecycle.

It's a brilliant idea... Despite the name it's actually re-use which is far greener than re-cycle

I've given away loads of stuff from wardrobes and bunk beds to overgrown aquarium plants, and even a big box of shredded paper packing material was snapped for hamster bedding.

I've also happily received quite a few things - ranging from a 35mm film scanner to an automatic cat feeder!

Quite often (like the film scanner) it's something you might need only once, so you use it for the job in hand and then Freecycle it on to someone else. Smile
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use it all the time too, although our local groups have now changed to Freegle. I didn't know why, but there's an explanation under History on the page linked to above, as well as a link to find your local group.

To be fair I'd better include a link to Freecycle too!
Samsung Galaxy S21
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
automatic cat feeder!

We have 2 cats but not sure what type. How can you tell the difference between an automatic cat and a manual cat? What are the benefits of having automatic cats?

MaFt
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
What are the benefits of having automatic cats?
They feed themselves Rolling Eyes
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
MaFt wrote:
They feed themselves Rolling Eyes

No. They feed each other.

Joking apart, I'm so grateful for these responses. I can now seek out all my spare "stuff" and put it to good use, it'll be a pleasure.

Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:

MaFt

It means they don't need a stick to shift them, just a heavy right foot! Laughing

(Disclaimer: I love my cat dearly)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: