Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - can anyone recommend a walk/bike sat nav
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

can anyone recommend a walk/bike sat nav

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> For Sale / Wanted
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rikkyblueboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: can anyone recommend a walk/bike sat nav Reply with quote

Hi..I'm new to this forum and hoping to get some good advice.I want a sat nav for cycling with os maps 1:25000,waterproof,good reception and easy to use..any comments would be appreciated..thanks rick
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at the units from SatMap, the Active 10 or the Active 10 Plus, add in a bike mount, also factor in the cost of the maps you will need for your local area or full country wide, a great product, works well in all weathers and really easy to use even with gloves on - Mike
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or look at any in the Garmin handheld range. As well as purchasing maps there are free Garmin ones for UK at www.talkytoaster.info and in Europe at http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/
rikkyblueboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

many thanks for that..sussamb and mikealder Smile
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi rikkyblueboy, I also have a SatMap A10 for walking and cycling and can confirm that it is excellent. However, I also have an Android SmartPhone which I find myself using more than the A10.

In case this info may be of use to you I have the OsmAnd+ app loaded together with both JogTracker app (Walking) and Velodroid app (cycling). Routing is loaded as a .gpx file into the OsmAnd+ app which then provides either spoken directions, beeps at waypoints or purely just a visual route.

OsmAnd+ can also create routes on the fly to your destination based on which mode you are planning in:- Driving, Cycling or Walking. The routing uses appropriate roads, tracks, footpaths accordingly. You can also plot a route of your choice by using waypoints.

The Velodroid app uploads to your free RideWithGps.com account. JogTracker also uploads to a free account. You can keep track of all your walking and cycling trips in an easy format. Both of these apps create a log and stats which can be viewed on the phone and on on-line. (Both JogTracker and Velodroid record both walking and cycling - and more- trip types but I prefer to keep them separate)

Osm provide free maps of the entire world, some locations are more up to date than others, but I have never found them lacking, they are certainly as up-to-date as my SatMap maps. The maps for the regions you require are downloaded and stored on the phone's memory.

Routes are loaded into the OsmAnd+ app as a.gpx file which can be created on many on-line web sites but I use the RideWithGps site to do this as I can then plot my intended route against my actual route.

SatMAp use a web-app called Xpedition to plot and log routes. Personally, I just can't get on with this especially as I am a Linux user and many of Xpedition's features are not available to me.

OsmAnd, JogTracker and Velodroid are all free apps, as are the RideWithGps and JogTracker web accounts. If you purchase the really cheap, non-free versions you shall get more features and less adverts.

So, if you have a smartphone, I'd suggest you give a few apps a try first before you start spending out hundreds of pounds.

Edited for extra info and some spelling.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
shiwarrior
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the Garmiin Edge 800
I use it for training too

brilliant kit
stuart
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a Garmin Montana ..I just got one as a Treat to myself for sailing, off road walking and on the road.. Brilliant so far...Mine is a standard 600...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> For Sale / Wanted All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: