Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Alk Technologies Launch CoPilot for MS Smartphone
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Alk Technologies Launch CoPilot for MS Smartphone
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:18 pm    Post subject: Alk Technologies Launch CoPilot for MS Smartphone Reply with quote

Quote:
P R E S S R E L E A S E

LONDON, UK - 8th SEPTEMBER 2004 ALK Technologies Ltd, leading developer of navigation systems, today announced the worldwide availability of CoPilot Live GPS Navigation for mobile phones.

The new system transforms a compatible Microsoft Windows Mobile-based Smartphone into a powerful, ultra-portable in-car Sat Nav system, integrating the same award-winning CoPilot technology as is currently available for Laptops and Windows Mobile-based Pocket PC PDAs.

CoPilot Live takes full advantage of a Smartphone’s colour screen, powerful processor, and loud speaker to provide drivers with accurate and dependable door-to-door guidance turn-by-turn both on-screen and spoken. Intelligent route recalculation instantly works out the best new route if you miss a turn. Bad news for paper maps, great news for drivers, with CoPilot Live Smartphone driving anywhere is like driving around your home town. It’s impossible to get lost.

Inputting a destination is easy. Simply reach for your phone, enter in a street number, post code, town, Microsoft Outlook contact or one of thousands of points of interest and start driving. There’s no need to input your starting point as a CoPilot-enabled Smartphone takes advantage of the Global Positioning System (GPS) satellites to pinpoint your exact location and continuously calculates the route to your destination.

Designed with driver safety and adherence to legal requirements as the priority, CoPilot Live Smartphone avoids the need to touch the phone while driving, providing clear voice directions and at-a-glance turn instructions on-screen at every instant. Drivers can choose from a variety of map views, including ‘Where Am I’, 3D view and Driver Safety. Estimated time of arrival, distance to the next turn and distance to destination are always displayed. Numerous customisable options include low-glare night mode, fastest/shortest route and avoid tolls.

In Europe, CoPilot Live Smartphone incorporates the same detailed street maps from NAVTEQ as used by the majority of in-car sat nav systems, including the UK’s M6 Toll road, Channel Islands and extensive coverage of Ireland. European travellers can take advantage of CoPilot Live’s borderless routing right across the continent, taking into account the correct side of the road to be driving on and the right direction at roundabouts!

Wherever the destination or whatever the vehicle, drivers can benefit from GPS navigation on their mobile phone, without the inflexibility and high cost associated with built-in systems. Detailed street Maps and software are supplied preloaded on a 128 MB storage card making set-up incredibly easy.

The live element of CoPilot takes full advantage of the seamless wireless connectivity provided by Windows Mobile-based Smartphones. Real-time web-based tracking, two way messaging and new destination sending are included as standard. Businesses can remain digitally connected to their mobile employees while consumers can stay connected with family and friends when on the road. Real-time traffic alerts and avoidance empower drivers with the information they need to get to their destinations with minimal delays.

CoPilot Live Smartphone is compatible with all Bluetooth-enabled Microsoft Windows Mobile-based Smartphones, including the new Orange SPV C500 and forthcoming Motorola MPX 220. Its available to purchase through authorised CoPilot Live dealers from £150 for software-only versions, and £299 for complete kits. For further information visit www.alk.eu.com.

Here are some screenshots to give you an idea just how great this actually looks on the Smartphone. From right to left and top to bottom:

1. 3D Map View with POI Icons displayed
2. 2D Map View with POI Icons displayed
3. Address Entry screen
4. Safety Screen View
5. Options
6. Itinerary View

Last edited by Darren on Wed Sep 15, 2004 7:03 pm; edited 3 times in total
gstenson
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great :D

Will it allow you to copy the source files onto another miniSD card? If I buy another card, say 512Mb, I would like to use that for SatNav and for MP3s.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes indeed, activation is the same as for the PocketPC Platform version so you can install to Mini-SD or SD or even MMc as you wish.
gstenson
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool thanks - what about custom POIs such as the speed camera Db?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, it has that too Smile
seanm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know when will we be able to buy this?

I cant find a smartphone option through the resellers.

Sean
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Alk Technologies Launch CoPilot for MS Smartphone Reply with quote

ALK Technologies Press Release wrote:
extensive coverage of Ireland

Yeah, right. Major towns in Ireland are covered and the Navteq maps do have the best Ireland coverage but they could hardly call it "extensive". Rolling Eyes

Sounds like an interesting product though. 8)
cejsmith
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what phones will it work on?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The E200 and C500 and all it's variants (Qtek, iMAte etc) as well as theoretically any other MS Smartphone that has Bluetooth.
Pc-Mobile
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose the software will also work with current non-BT smartphones with suitable GPS/connecting cables?

Unless the software configure only with BT port, it shoudl work with current SPV ranges without BT.

GPS (and handheld GPS+suitable cables) for XDA work with current SPVs and Mapopolis.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it is able to function with serial connected GPS receivers using the NMEA protocol.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got an Orange SPV C500 Smartphone free from Orange, had to sign a 12 month contract @ £15/month but I get 120 x-net minutes and 30 text messages included which is plenty for my needs. 8)

So, does anyone know when Co-Pilot for Smartphone is going to be available? I looked everywhere and I can't find anyone with it in stock - I guess it is not shipping yet. I am off to Germany on Thursday morning and I would quite like to buy CP5, BT GPS and European unlock code before then. Any know of a retailer with this in stock?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Officially it hasn't quite been released yet, only announced for release. Hopefully it will be appearing in weeks to come.

Re the C500 Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Orange are trying to hold me to randsome as I have 3 weeks left on my contract and although the phone is free to upgrade, they're charging me £150 because I'm still in contract, even though I have been a solid loyal Orange customer for over 10 years!!!

If anyone from Orange is reading this, please PM or email me Exclamation
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
Orange are trying to hold me to randsome as I have 3 weeks left on my contract and although the phone is free to upgrade

Hmm, do you know anyone who is out of contract who can get a C500 upgrade and give then phone to you, then you could return the favour in three weeks when you are out of contract.

Sounds pretty mean of Orange though. Rolling Eyes Evil or Very Mad
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't rush to upgrade to a C500 just yet, apparently there are issues with its BT Stack which means some other apps are not able to communicate when installed on a C500.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: