Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - A few questions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

A few questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TeamTessie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject: A few questions Reply with quote

I have had my Active 10 for around. Month now. After using it quite a bit, mainly for geocaching I have a couple of questions. Some of it may be general Gps queries.

1) What types of battery do most people use. I've tried both the AA energizers supplied and the rechargable LiPo. The useage time seems about the same, but the battery indicator seems to go from full to red almost instantly. My opinion is that it doesn't really bear any relatinship to the charge left. With this in mind I'm thinking of using AA recharchable. At least I can swap them in the field.

2) does the power saving mode (i.e: updating every 4 seconds) have any bearing on how fast the longitude/latitude figures update. When you're getting close to a cache, you could walk past in 4 seconds.

3) how accurate is GPS generally. I piut my A10 out on our garden wall on 5 different occasions, and got 5 different co-ordinates. However, my old Nokia E71 phone gave the same reading each time.

Thanks,

Tim
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi TeamTessie,

I can only give my experience for Q1).

I used to use Sanyo Eneloop Rechargable AA batteries which would only last me 3 to 4 hours of walking or cycling. When out all day I would always need to swap a new set in, usually when I had stopped for lunch. Although not a problem, it does become an irritation. Also, as the A10 takes 3 x AA batteries, I found it hard to get into a re-charging routine - I would have to wait for two walks (2 x3 x2) to be able to fully charge 3 sets of 4 batteries in the re-charger ( I know it sounds petty, but there would always be a battery or two left over from the previous outing which I would have to remember were not charged up and not take them with me by mistake).

I recently bought a SatMAp LiPol battery and much prefer it for ease of use (at least a full 8-10 hr walk) and recharging with USB, I'd never go back to rechargeable AA's.

As for your other questions, I'm afraid I can't help. Best left to others who are more savvy than I.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
Gibbo10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use 2900 mah batteries from 7dayshop.com and seem to work well.

I find the satmap very accurate, some sat navs / phones are less sensitive so they can give the same reading.

I would leave it on the update every second option, consider turning the brightness down to conserve battery.
My Blog Geocache Trails
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:49 pm    Post subject: Take Note. Reply with quote

I have always used the Lipol for easily a full days walking...HOWEVER, for serious walking in the cold and biting winds up in the Lakes or wherever, I always use my Intec 2900mAh rechargeables with three more spares, (and the Lipol) in my pack pack..why ?? Well, just try changing from the Lipol to rechargeables up on the top of Nevis with freezing cold hands....it's a darn site easier to just swap the three batteries over and be done with it....and I learn't this from bitter experience on Dartmoor one winter...to try and make the fiddly connection can be very difficult, particularly in the darkness...trust me.
TeamTessie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally decided on 2 sets of Sanyo Eneloop 2400mAh XXX rechargables.

Compared to the standard LiPo, I am getting much longer times between charges, plus the advantage of being able to swap batteries in the field.

Don't think I will ever go back to the standard LiPo now, especially as the Battery Life indicator seems more accurate with the Eneloops.

Tim.
SmellyBoots
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OP asked
Quote:
how accurate is GPS generally. I put my A10 out on our garden wall on 5 different occasions, and got 5 different co-ordinates. However, my old Nokia E71 phone gave the same reading each time.

The GPS status screen will tell you how accurate the current location reading is. I generally seem to get an accuracy of 6' on a good day which is more than adequate for walking but it does vary based on the usual factors affecting GPS signals. I presume you get slightly different readings based on the positional accuracy.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: