Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Should I keep on with TomTom?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Should I keep on with TomTom?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pee-jay
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:42 am    Post subject: Should I keep on with TomTom? Reply with quote

I've been using a TomTom 540 for about the past 5 years.

On the positive side, I've found HD Traffic extremely useful - it has saved me a lot of time.

On the negative side, experience with TomTom support has been poor, and I now have multiple issues which are stopping me using my device effectively and which I suspect are not going to be fixable. To be specific:
1. Recent map updates won't work on the backlevel version of NavCore I am running
2. Historic attempts (over a year ago) to update NavCore have not gone well due to performance problems (general responsiveness / screen updates / time taken to retrieve traffic data)
3. More recent attempt to update NavCore has failed, leaving the device unable to boot (crashing in an infinite loop) and has forced me to restore from backup. This has now happened 3 times (same problem each time)

So I am now left with a device with an out of date map which I can't update.

Options as I see them are:
* Try to resolve the above with support (not sure if I have the appetite for this)
* Get a new device
* Spring for TomTom app for my iPhone (4)
* Try google maps for iPhone (which is free)

I am thinking of going for the last option on the basis of nothing to lose - and switching to TomTom for iPhone if it doesn't work out. Reservations with google maps are around lack of offline maps (I don't pay for data so this is not a concern, but I regularly travel through mobile blackspots in remote areas), quality of traffic data, ability to effectively reroute around traffic problems, and (lack of) speed camera alerts.

The TomTom app for iPhone looks better - but obviously costs for app / traffic / camera alerts.

Anyone have any experiences / suggestions / comments they can offer?

Many thanks, Phil
cjay2412
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you tried deleting all loose files on device using windows explorer then repeatedly updating through home until told your up to date worked for me with a tomtom go 720
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can easily overcome the lack of camera support by using the PGPSW CamerAlert app. Can't imagine why you might want to use/pay for the TT offering anyway Very Happy
stuart
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cjay2412 wrote:
have you tried deleting all loose files on device using windows explorer then repeatedly updating through home until told your up to date worked for me with a tomtom go 720

Thats exactly what I did with my 520T...Its performed faultlessly yesterday on a 600 mile round trip with full Traffic Updates...
pee-jay
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cjay2412 wrote:

Yes, I did try that. Home got itself stuck in a loop where it continuously restarts.
cjay2412
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/navcore/9.465.1-2025.CAB-navcore-GO.cab

unzip to device when asked if want to replace existing file click yes to all
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the unit is re-booting post a Navcore update connect it to the PC and use Windows Explorer to locate the "MapSettings.cfg" file which is in the map folder, delete this file then disconnect the unit from the PC.
The newer Navcore will create a new version of MapSettings.cfg and should boot up correctly, now you need to enter your home address and any POI warnings you need - Mike
pee-jay
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the help - I will try out those suggestions.

Assuming navcore and map updates are successful, are the HD Traffic performance problems which blighted previous navcore versions on the 540 now resolved? Along with others, I was finding 20-30 mins to connect or to reconnect after lost signal. Advice at the time was to stay on navcore v8.something.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the problems with LIVE not connecting a while ago were down to incompatibilities between the new Navcore and a batch of SIM cards used in UK devices.

Later Navcores since then have resolved that problem.
mark1968
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried snooper, garmin, copilot, and tomtom. Out of them all I still prefer tomtom.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: