Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Creating your own POIs on TomTom for Android?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Creating your own POIs on TomTom for Android?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maxdot
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Creating your own POIs on TomTom for Android? Reply with quote

I'm just starting to play around with TomTom's new download on my Galaxy Note, trying to compare it with the Sygic I already have running on it. Mostly I seem to find things it doesn't do as well as or even at all, but these are early days I guess. I've downloaded the PGPS database (deleting the original .bmp files and changing the _X2.bmp files to .bmp as recommended) and then put them into TomTom/ files/Western_Europe. At the same time I downloaded and carried across some POI categories that I had created on my GO Live 825.
What I would like to know is whether I can add new locations to these POI categories and, indeed, whether I can create new categories directly in the app or will I have to go back each time to the 825 create them there and then transfer to my Note?
And am I right in thinking that, as yet, there is no way I can get a sound warning of the approach of these POIs from within the app? Only, as far as PGPS is concerned by running CamerAlert in the background?
Thanks for any tips
Maxdot
Big_Daddy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also just got the new TomTom Europe Android - running on an SG3.

Personally I prefer the TomTom interface to Sygic, Waze or Google Nav - very bright and clear, generally better routing instructions, and no need for mobile data to be turned on. (Although Sygic doesn't need mobile data either).

For speed camera icons, copying the OV2 and BMP files to the map folder on the SG3 seems to work. The x2 BMPs seem to work best. I can't see any way to get the sound warnings apart from by running CamerAlert in the background, which also has the benefit of more sophisticated warnings.

Got my first map update from TomTom today - 29 minutes to download 3.44GB via WiFi which isn't too bad. The good news is that TomTom doesn't delete all your favourites, settings and history with a map update (an improvement over my One). The bad news is that it completely deletes and rewrites the map folder, so any POIs you've added are lost. You'll need to keep a folder on your PC with all the OV2 and BMP files of your POIs, and then recopy this to the map folder on your device each time you get a map update.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: