Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - CamerAlert for Android V1.3.10.747 Released To Google Play
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

CamerAlert for Android V1.3.10.747 Released To Google Play
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Android
View previous topic :: View next topic  
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

K13ehr wrote:
I don't have the disposables to make a donation, but would have scrounged together the £1 annual fee to have the database on my mobile phone as would a few of my friends, but who wouldn't join the website, a good fund raising opportunity missed.
The annual database update fee is not £1 it's £20. You get it free because you are a lifetime member. Your friends would not.
K13ehr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was free as when I downloaded it there was no fee or mention of one, and I don't think Google Play or my phone knew I was a member here, so a natural assumption.

With that in mind could the app be stand alone for a none member as not everyone wants to join forums, I know a few who think they're the work of the devil Laughing Laughing Whereas I'd be lost without them.

Kev.

Still don't know what use it is on it's own yet.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you registered it, did you use your K13ehr username? If so, PGPSW knows who you are.
You have to 'use it on its own' as it is a stand alone app that can run in the backgrouns and alert you of cams using the PGPSW database. It has no nav or routing function. You can display maps with the camera icons (data charges) or not depending on your preference. Have you read the manual?
K13ehr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did use my user name to register it, but it was free to download which is
Why I thought it was free to everyone
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The application is free to download but access to the database (subscription) is £20pa unless you are a lifetime member. Your friends would be able to download the application but would not be able to update the database without subscribing.

When you register the device, you get a CAA_xxxx ID which will work without accessing the forums.

On it's own, you can get warnings of cameras when you don't need to be told where to turn etc.

Gerry
K13ehr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Gerry.
CS
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: Am I OK with CamerAlert v1.3.10.754 and Database V 10.114? Reply with quote

Apologies in advance for my long winded post and what I'm about to ask but having come to the party rather late in the day (quite by accident - see below) with the recent problems I've been reading about on this forum, I am wondering if I need to make any changes on my phone which is currently installed with V1.310.754 and Database V 10.114 installed.

As mentioned above I came across the recent problems quite by accident. First, I read an article in what I thought was this week's PWGPS newsletter but having read it again I can't find the said article, nor the Google Play link which referred to a "new" CamerAlert V.1.3.10.747. Having clicked on the said Google Play link, I was surprised to find the update was in fact V.1.3.10.754. As my smartphone already has V1.310.754 and Database V 10.114 installed I am assuming that none of the problems encountered with the earlier ***754 version will be installed on my phone and that I do not need to change any settings or revert to earlier versions etc, but please could you confirm.
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi CS.

You are fine and Dandy.

Your CA version and database version are the same as mine and are up to date.
Work fine with no problems, the earlier problem has been fixed with the one you have.

As with all updates mind, may be worth checking your settings in case some have changed to default setting, but this hasn't happened to me.
CS
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for putting my mind at rest 253. Just noticed thst unlike yours, my Lifetime membership status isn't showing next to my username. Dare say that's another setiing I may need to change!
CS
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

....and I also need to improve on my spelling!
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy

It's Friday, been a long week.
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought, if you want to get your tag changed for the Lifetime Member.

Go to the dark blue Tabs at the top of the page, click on Forums, then from the list click on Forum Index, then click on Dedicated Subscriber Forum and from there you will see a 'Sticky' for people to request the LifeTime Tag to be added.

If I knew how, I would put a direct link, but I ain't that good. Smile
CS
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again 253. I'm in your your debt for the second time this evening.
adamwolfe
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday, I travelled from Jedburgh to Edinburgh using the A68. There are many mobile and fixed camera locations on this stretch. Knowing this I thought I'd give CamerAlert a good workout without running CoPilot. I'm pretty sure that not all cameras were being picked up - by that I mean that the popup wasn't showing for all cameras. I began to realise that this may or may not be the case as the pop up seems to activate much closer to the site when running CamerAlert on its own as opposed to in the background with CoPilot. In other words when running in the background the popup seems to activate way ahead of the actual site (using preset from satnav software? - 1000 yards in my case). There are several stretches on the A68 where mobiles have been spotted and logged quite close together ie over a mile or so there can be 3 or 4 sites to be aware of so it can be quite a problem trying to figure out which camera site is being activated - especially if you miss the first one or one within the run of sites. I sort of gave up when the software crashed and wanted to send a report - which I did although from an unregistered email address. I hope the above makes some sense as I am aware that rambleitus is setting in - oh to be young again .................. Rolling Eyes
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, there are a lot of cams on that road aren't there.

Here you go, a rambling answer that addresses some of your points above.

Firstly, nearly all the fixed cams on the A68 in our database are single direction. CA will only alert if you are travelling in the direction that the cam is trapping. If you are travelling in the opposite direction, CA does not alert. If you find one that is actually trapping in your direction of travel that does not alert, please report it so that the database direction can be updated.

Secondly, nearly all of the mobile camera sites on the A68 have good descriptions of their locations, (as opposed to a CA report with no notes) and the sites have been verified. Mobiles that haven't been 'seen again' for the last year are removed from the database so it's also reasonable to assume that they have been active in the last twelve months. Mobile cams are also 'directional' (as above) in CA.

Thirdly, The warnings distances given in CA are entirely dependent on the warning time (not distance) that you set in CA. There is no connection between the alerts in CA and co-pilot, so I suspect that your impression of shorter alert time when not running co-pilot are just that, an impression.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Android All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: