Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Android app updated - now supports high resolutions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Android app updated - now supports high resolutions
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: TomTom Android app updated - now supports high resolutions Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.com
TomTom's Android app finally supports premiums Android handsets. The v1.1 update, released today, adds support for screen resolutions up to 1280 x 800 which means owners of premium handsets such as the Samsung Galaxy S3, HTX One X and Google Nexus 4 can now run the app.

Other updates include a better download manager, map data is now stored on SD card (where available) and improved postcode entry. Features such as IQ Routes and Lifetime Map updates are included in the app purchase and HD Traffic is available as a premium subscription service.

The update also means that 7" tablets such as the Google Nexus 7 and Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 also now support the app.

Source: Google Play

email icon

mz500r
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:20 pm    Post subject: broken already Reply with quote

shame it does not work on (my razr I) just cycles on and off till i switch the phone off Sad
A13x
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tested it today and its not that bad, as a first release for hi-res. Still a long way to go to make it as fluid and as good as the iphone version. I can see myself using this version. The version before it on a hi-res screen was just too laggy and slow but this one is fine
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it supports the Nexus 7, or at least officially, because I cannot update mine via Google Play. I also noticed that the app is now copy protected making it difficult to back-up & sideload to another device.

I don't know if it's possible to move the apk file still because the only one I can see is the original v1 from November. Maybe an uninstall & full download would produce one?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have asked TomTom and they're looking into this issue. 1200 x 800 is supported and the Nexus 7, and other 7" tablets, should be supported. As soon as I have more information I'll post an update in this thread.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaTe wrote:
Thanks Darren - Have just posted a similar question on the TT forum as there was a discussion running. Will make for interesting reading to see how they respond to the question on their own site.

Don't hold your breath - that's a discussions site, not an answers site!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom have confirmed that this is a Google Play issue which they are investigating. It does support Nexus 7 and other similar 7" tablets. They are trying to figure out why this issue is occurring.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaTe wrote:
Couldn't agree more Dennis but that is where Ditte from the staff made an announcement on the release, so I saw it as reasonable to bounce it back at him

Just to save future embarassment, Ditte is a her not a him. She and Kenneth usually post that "We/our technicians are looking into it and we'll keep you posted. Thank you for your feedback." - I think you'll find this is one such post. Twisted Evil

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair Dennis, Dite's answer matches what I have been told, i.e. that Nexus 7 is supported by the new update and they're looking into the Google Play issue.
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reasonably impressed with the release on a HTC One X. The HD traffic connection needs working on, if you lose the data connection it seems to take an age to reconnect.

One oddity is the HD traffic menu, I have managed to get into it a couple of times from the traffic sidebar, but 99 times out of 100 I get into the Delay on route screen. Also, it doesn't have icons for everything?

I used to find the Home to Work feature useful, which seems to be hidden in a menu I can't get in to and isn't mentioned in the manual.
aerotec
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am considering a replacement for my Tomtom 940 and rather than buy a 1005 I thought I could buy a Nexus 7 and install this version of Tomtom.

However I see that the Android app doesn't support POIs? And I guess the HD Traffic service doesn't inlcude Local Search or Fuel Prices? Both features I use regularly.

However the lifetime maps is appealing and was a reason I was considering the 1005 as it comes with lifetime maps at the moment. However what does "...for the life of your app"? I believe on the hardware the lifetime maps are until Tomtom no longer support the device so maybe 3-4 years of free maps?
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aerotec wrote:

However I see that the Android app doesn't support POIs? And I guess the HD Traffic service doesn't inlcude Local Search or Fuel Prices? Both features I use regularly.

The Android app does support poi, the drawback is that I don't think you can configure warnings for them. Adding them is similar to a TomTom PND by dropping them into the mapfolder and you can drive to a POI
mz500r
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh well officially confirmed NOT compatible with the motorola razr i so refund requested, even tho its compatible on play Sad
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaTe wrote:
This is the latest from the TomTom forum on the subject of the app. and its availability to tablets on the 1280x800 res following a question that I asked:-
Hi JaTe,
Yes we have the fix for that - it will be released with the next update. We don't have the specific date yet, but it is coming soon and we will of course keep you posted here.
Kenneth

Something in that they say they have fixed it, but not good in that they don't commit to a release date.

A further post:

In the Droid Bionic thread in this forum, TT email support is telling customers that new app 1.1.1 should be out this week.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand the same, that an update will be available shortly to correct this issue and permit install on many of the devices that currently are not offered it.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: