Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom updates iOS app - now supports iPhone 5 screen
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom updates iOS app - now supports iPhone 5 screen

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject: TomTom updates iOS app - now supports iPhone 5 screen Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.com

TomTom have released an update to their iOS app today that adds support for iPhone 5 and takes full advantage of the larger screen with a bigger map view and enhanced menu and search pages.

As well as support for iPhone 5, version 1.12 includes a new map. But, Google Local Search is now gone, TomTom places now takes centre stage allowing you to search for businesses, POIs etc.

TomTom also now integrates with Apple Maps. If you find a location using Apple Maps, TomTom can be used to guide you to that location by selecting TomTom as the routing app.

iTunes Link
mistersaxon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:35 pm    Post subject: Sadly the IOS6 lockdown continues . . . Reply with quote

No sign of Apple relenting on the security of the App resource folders so that you can use Diskaid to update camera and personal POI's (or TomTom designing their app properly to read POI files from the Inbox area).

I think it's going to stay like that folks! For the first time in over 10 years I can't access my customer sites POIs natively from my navigation app . . . POIViewer is ok as a workaround - it's even a nice app - but I miss being able to see the upcoming cameras in TomTom and TomTom's free one-time update of the cameras that they offered with this update is hilariously useless to the point where I have turned it off...

There was sweet spot where this worked more-or-less exactly how I wanted it to with IOS5. *sigh* Those were good days - I miss them already.
w/ Interphone BT headset on a Honda Blackbird (should change this really - the bike, not the headset)
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom have long since had the means to support third party POIs but choose not to implement it. Apple have a documented feature for just this sort of requirement, others use it, TomTom don't. Complain to them.
mistersaxon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: If I thought it would do any good . . . Reply with quote

I would certainly complain but I would be adding my voice to a long list of those who shout down the TomTom "feedback" well and don't even get an echo. TomTom want you to buy their Cameras service and they don't care how awkward they make it for people who prefer something better.

No, not true - they DO care. They care that they might accidentally make it too simple / easy to use a competitor's service. They are anti-competitive, especially on the iPhone where they have (for reasons I don't understand) committed to lifetime map updates for free, albeit on a completely arbitrary schedule. Quite why they think anyone would pay for map updates on any other platform of theirs is a mystery to me, except that they seem immune to market forces - and their customers with PNDs are happy to pay.

But you are right - they need feedback and they shall have it. I don't expect it to do any good though...
w/ Interphone BT headset on a Honda Blackbird (should change this really - the bike, not the headset)
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My reply sounded terse and it wasn't intended to, the downside of replying via a smartphone Smile

What I meant was that it's not Apple's sandbox policies at fault here, other companies have made use of the facilities provided to incorporate external data into an app but TomTom, in the typically pig headed way that seems to be their chosen modus operandi these days, choose not to.

I guess it could even be described as 'Apple Like'. TomTom have decided that third party POIs, the service that was partly responsible for making their nav devices so popular in the early days, are no longer important.

But it was customer outcry that got them added into NAV3 device such as the GO 1000 and we all need to tell them that we want it in their apps too.
mistersaxon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Ok, I have shouted into the void of TomTom Reply with quote

Let's see what happens, shall we? You never know...
gem
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:46 pm    Post subject: Apple mapping interferes with other apps Reply with quote

The Apple maps themselves are a joke. Mad

Just look at the A9 north of Perth to Inverness....it's the same colour (white) as the side roads.

Ditto the A82 north of Erskine Bridge, it is fragmented at first then also changes to a white side road.

Both the above being A class trunk roads.

As for the colouring, when did motorways stop being blue in the UK? Trunk A roads green?

Talk about safety and ease of use......

What I failed to appreciate was Apple maps are embedded in many other map apps. Hardly any other blog or review makes this point.
e.g. RAC
Trafficmaster
Plane viewer
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, Apple provide a mapping API to developers. Developers use that to gain easy access to map data within their own apps.

The map data source is whichever Apple chooses to use, so where it was formerly Google, it's now their own. It affects us with CamerAlert too. Apple will hopefully resolve the issues, and Apple's map data is at least Vector data rather than bitmap which Google used, so is more efficient where mobile data is concerned.

But this is off-topic for this thread which concerns TomTom's app. You may wish to start a new one if you wish to discuss it further.
mistersaxon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject: A reply from TomTom? Reply with quote

Well, only a request for more information from a first-level tech support person (possibly) who is asking for my proof of purchase in order to progress my support request. Cheeky sods . . .
gem
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:

The map data source is whichever Apple chooses to use, so where it was formerly Google, it's now their own. It affects us with CamerAlert too.

Me wonders if usage has fallen with your current customer base? Who now find the map harder to read at a glance with a camera icon overlay.

I now cannot use the various map Applications from Apple using their map.

I presume developers had no input whatsoever into the decision to move away from Google. Does CamerAlert care about the lower quality maps? Perhaps the majority of users don't care? Curious to hear...
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think they are lower quality personally.
gem
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:

Interesting.

So therefore you find nothing Evil or Very Mad wrong with;
a) motorways the same colour as A roads
b) trunk roads starting as one colour and then somewhere randomly they change to a white road for the remainder of their route
c) fewer or no landscape features......such as small lochs missing (crap if you are using the Apple maps on foot walking over rural areas). I only benchmarked places in Scotland
d) small country roads TOTALLY MISSING at a 'normal' zoom level unless you zoom in at a very close detail. Google/Nokia etc show the country road at a zoom level appropriate for driving (say 15 miles of distance on the screen). It only appears on Apple maps at a far lower scale (say 3 miles).

I must be too fussy. Rolling Eyes
TonyD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gem wrote:
Darren wrote:

Interesting.

So therefore you find nothing Evil or Very Mad wrong with;
a) motorways the same colour as A roads
b) trunk roads starting as one colour and then somewhere randomly they change to a white road for the remainder of their route
c) fewer or no landscape features......such as small lochs missing (crap if you are using the Apple maps on foot walking over rural areas). I only benchmarked places in Scotland
d) small country roads TOTALLY MISSING at a 'normal' zoom level unless you zoom in at a very close detail. Google/Nokia etc show the country road at a zoom level appropriate for driving (say 15 miles of distance on the screen). It only appears on Apple maps at a far lower scale (say 3 miles).

I must be too fussy. Rolling Eyes

Sorry, just come into this a bit late, but I agree 100% with you. It is very very difficult to glance at an Apple map and get any sense of situational awareness.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: