Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - CamerAlert for Android V1.3.10.747 Released To Google Play
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

CamerAlert for Android V1.3.10.747 Released To Google Play
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Android
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: What the.... Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:

TMCsucks wrote:
Black mark to GPS Worls I'm afraid Mad

That's a bit harsh, no? How many other companies would offer the previous version if a new version was seen to have bugs? Most just say to wait patiently while they fix it and then leave you hanging for a week...

MaFt

I think most companies would just keep schtum until the outcry grew too loud to ignore, so Gold Star to PGPSW me thinks Very Happy
TMCsucks
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: What the.... Reply with quote

Thanks for the dummies guide.

MaFt wrote:

That's a bit harsh, no? How many other companies would offer the previous version if a new version was seen to have bugs? Most just say to wait patiently while they fix it and then leave you hanging for a week...

MaFt

Frankly, that's the least they can do for releasing an insufficiently tested "upgrade" that has trashed the functionality of my software and caused me to waste over half an hour trying to find out what has gone wrong and how to fix it. Bugs are one thing but this gave me a frozen blank screened phone from the get go with no option but to reboot and uninstall.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: What the.... Reply with quote

TMCsucks wrote:
Thanks for the dummies guide.

MaFt wrote:

MaFt

Frankly, that's the least they can do for releasing an insufficiently tested "upgrade" that has trashed the functionality of my software and caused me to waste over half an hour trying to find out what has gone wrong and how to fix it. Bugs are one thing but this gave me a frozen blank screened phone from the get go with no option but to reboot and uninstall.

Do you honestly think that we would put out a version of software that would do that? We spend weeks regression testing the app before we release it. The issue we have is that so many features have been requested that it is impossible to test every different combination.

This particular bug slipped in as a fix for something else after we had already tested the part that subsequently failed.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have just released version 1.3.10.754 to Google Play. Hopefully we will not have introduced any new bugs with the fix.
TMCsucks
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: What the.... Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:

Do you honestly think that we would put out a version of software that would do that? We spend weeks regression testing the app before we release it. The issue we have is that so many features have been requested that it is impossible to test every different combination.

This particular bug slipped in as a fix for something else after we had already tested the part that subsequently failed.

I think what you meant to say was "Do you honestly think we meant to put out...etc" .....because you did!! Of course you didn't mean to. Seems to me it doesn't matter how much "regression testing" you do if you then alter the code after it has been tested. I say this more in sorrow than anything else. You're learning a lesson that the customer doesn't care why something happened just that it did. This may seem harsh but if the code is released, it's your responsibility, good or bad. No excuses please. Just suck it up and get it fixed. When is a patch due?
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: What the.... Reply with quote

TMCsucks wrote:
.......... No excuses please. Just suck it up and get it fixed. When is a patch due?

The post before yours!

Gold Star from me too for the quick patch.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
TMCsucks
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An hour later and the patch is still not available on Google Play.....but never mind I can use v601 .... but what's this?.... It comes with v7 of the database and every time I try to update it grinds away and then times out! I'm not having the best of days with CameraAlert!! Crying or Very sad
TMCsucks
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh oh...I've got v754 which just appeared at the store....but still getting the database update problem. CameraAlert seems to be identifying the subscription OK but fails to download. Is everything OK with the db servers?

Fifteen minutes later: Had to try five or six times, restart the phone a couple of times but I finally got the db update. Is there any way to suppress the out of date database warning? She's really annoying when you're trying and failing to update! Wink
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also updated to v754 & all seems well, db downloaded without problem.

The v754 update on Play.Store is still giving the WARNING DO NOT DOWNLOAD etc
Ianmac52
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately my system was set to auto update and I fell foul of this bug, however, having downloaded and installed 601, it has already auto updated and I can find no way of turning it back to manual despite being familiar with the o.s.
What I did find is that having map set to always I can just toggle the list view to get my 'normal' view.
Is thee a way to turn off auto update and do you have an estimate asto when a fix will beavailable.
While I am here, I am using a Galaxy Nexus with the car dock and CA set to start on dock insertion. Bluetooth invariably falls over when I remove the phone from the dock requiring a reset, power is still on when the phone is removed. Audio is set to device speaker but call bluetooth is connected, if a camera warning comes in whilst on the phone, the call is terminated. Finally, after a call (without a warning) terminates normally, the screen does not revert to the camera list.

Thanks in advance
adamwolfe
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All
Got new version and working fine, many thanks. One thing I've noticed is that the new cross/tick bar doesn't stay on the screen long enough to check ahead and respond. If a camera/site isn't in line of sight ie is round a bend, the bar is pointless as is gone by the time the site is actually seen. Had a look, but can't see any settings to change this. Great idea, but needs to stay on screen longer. Idea
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adamwolfe wrote:
Hi All
Got new version and working fine, many thanks. One thing I've noticed is that the new cross/tick bar doesn't stay on the screen long enough to check ahead and respond. If a camera/site isn't in line of sight ie is round a bend, the bar is pointless as is gone by the time the site is actually seen. Had a look, but can't see any settings to change this. Great idea, but needs to stay on screen longer. Idea

Is this when the app is in the background or when it is the foreground?

If you're referring to background mode then we are limited to how long the pop ups (known as 'toasts') are visible for. However, the code monkeys are busy working on a bit of a hack to work around this which should help it stay on display for longer.

MaFt
lenfish
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best way to judge a company/organisation is not by things that go wrong (they invariably do-see Murphy's Law) but by the way they put things right.

Revised app. released 22/11/12 fixed 23/11/12. Looks good from where I'm standing. Thanks.

Len
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
However, the code monkeys are busy working on a bit of a hack to work around this which should help it stay on display for longer.
I've not seen this, but from what others say, it pops up on cam detection. Would it not be possible to have it pop up as you pass the cam location, as it's then that you know whether it was there or not? Or am I talking out of my *** as usual?
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree that the button's disappear too soon.

Also, if looking at the list, rather than the map, then the tick and cross obscure the cam details, so you can't see what side of the road you should be looking for the cam on!

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Android All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: