Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - "Missing" Alerts from PGPSW Garmin Database
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

"Missing" Alerts from PGPSW Garmin Database
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dales
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adrianmol,

I use the excellent Ash10 with my Nuvi (although not with Windows 7).

Have you seen the note in the Ash10 Help file:
Important note for Windows 7 and Vista users - make sure that Internet Explorer is not running in Protected Mode. There is some useful discussion regarding this [here].

Dales

Last edited by dales on Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:36 am; edited 1 time in total
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Post fixes missing alerts & too many alerts on Reply with quote

adrianmol wrote:
I have used Ash10's excellent GPX converter for 3 years to get voice alerts on my Nuvi but it does not work with Windows 7 on my PC.

How come? - what's the issue? (As in, it works for me Very Happy )

obeone
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys
If it's not a daft question......
I've downloaded the Cbrom software and converted the csv files to GPX. on a micro Sd card, do I need to delete the old csv files off the Sat Nav or will inserting the card over-write them.

If I need to delete, where are they - had a quick look and can't seem to locate them.

Yes I have backed up all the files on the unit first
Very Happy

Cheers
Steve
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

obeone wrote:
Hi Guys
If it's not a daft question......
I've downloaded the Cbrom software and converted the csv files to GPX. on a micro Sd card, do I need to delete the old csv files off the Sat Nav or will inserting the card over-write them.

If I need to delete, where are they - had a quick look and can't seem to locate them.

Yes I have backed up all the files on the unit first
Very Happy

Cheers
Steve

You need POI Loader to then transfer them to your Garmin as a single file
obeone
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for prompt reply Walkerx
Sorry I didn't make my post entirely clear. I had used Poi loader but didn't want to potentially end up with 2 versions of the camera files on my unit.
I suspected that having a different file extension the new ones would not over-write the csv files

I noticed in a help file that the Poi loader could also be used to delete files, so I deleted all the custom Poi's and re-installed the GPX files.
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

obeone wrote:
Thanks for prompt reply Walkerx
Sorry I didn't make my post entirely clear. I had used Poi loader but didn't want to potentially end up with 2 versions of the camera files on my unit.
I suspected that having a different file extension the new ones would not over-write the csv files

I noticed in a help file that the Poi loader could also be used to delete files, so I deleted all the custom Poi's and re-installed the GPX files.

no worries - i didn't think the unit's would use the csv files as when transfer using POI Loader it asks you for the filename to use and stores a single file - i just use the same one all the time - so it constantly gets updated
RSavage
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread may have pre-empted my query on the same subject. However, I thought I'd add my two pennyworth: I've always edited the csv file to replace the 'at' with a 'dash' per Brian's suggestion on the Zumo forum. All has been fine until recently when I noticed that two of the sets of gantry cameras on M20 around Maidstone were appearing simply as tiny squares with no audible or visual warnings. So I installed the latest database (duly edited) on my Zumo and Nuvi to see if it was a device error, but no, both machines show a little square in place of the cameras. However, they also only showed the camera label for all other cameras - i.e. just the name, direction and speed detected without an audible warning. Somewhat fed-up, I ran POILoader to remove all custom POI and then installed the latest database without any tinkering to the *.csv files. Running a test route with the Garmin cameras disabled revealed the following: On the Zumo I got the cameras from the PGPSW file but with the Garmin camera splash banner, no voice alert and no camera-type 'splash. On the Nuvi, I get the PGPSW camera type, no banner and no voice.

Oh, and until recently on both devices I got my custom voice, the PGPSW camera label, and a banner.

I haven't updated the firmware on either device.

Noting what you say about converting the csv files to gpx; I will give that a go but as far as I am aware, the Nuvi will not accept custom POI files in gpx format but does (used to) tolerate camera files in csv format. Odd.

Also, both units always warned me of the presence of cameras irrespective of my speed.

sigh

Any thoughts?

Richard
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I will give that a go but as far as I am aware, the Nuvi will not accept custom POI files in gpx format

Why not?

They always did in the past. Which model nuvi do you have? You still need to run them through POILoader to load them to the unit. Takes a lot longer and your PC will act like it frozen but give it time and it'll complete.
RSavage
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:

Why not?

They always did in the past. Which model nuvi do you have? You still need to run them through POILoader to load them to the unit. Takes a lot longer and your PC will act like it frozen but give it time and it'll complete.

Hi Paul

It's a Nuvi1340. As to why not; I've no idea. I've copied the same gpx or gdb file from Mapsource to both the Nuvi and Zumo in the past and while the Zumo happily manages the new data it is not found on the Nuvi. The same happens, or happened, with csv files other than the cameras. For example, I successfully copied the 'free' POI of fuel stations from PGPSW to the Zumo - and can search the POI file via 'Custom POIs - but they are not found on the Nuvi.

In a way this isn't relevant to the basic question. Until, at a guess, about a month ago I was able to add the PGPSW speed cameras (in csv format) to both devices using POILoader and then get audible warning (by which I mean: 'Warning xxxx camera ahead' using my chosen mp3 file), a screen splash with camera number, direction and speed, and a bmp file at the location. I now get a little 'bong' and a splash screen with e.g. Warning 40mph speed camera'. These look like the Garmin camera warnings but I have disabled them in both devices.

Rgds

Richard
dunk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:19 pm    Post subject: Updating Garmin Nuvi Reply with quote

Hi every week I upload the camera data onto my Garmin by formatting the SD card where I keep the camera data,then I do a complete download and update the card. Only keep the cameras on the card,not in the Garmin.
Is this an acceptable way of doing it?
Regards dunk
RSavage
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Updating Garmin Nuvi Reply with quote

dunk wrote:
Hi every week I upload the camera data onto my Garmin by formatting the SD card where I keep the camera data,then I do a complete download and update the card. Only keep the cameras on the card,not in the Garmin.
Is this an acceptable way of doing it?
Regards dunk

Which Garmin?

Are you, by the way, offering this as a solution to my problem?

Rgds

Richard
dunk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject: Poi loader downloads Reply with quote

Hi R.Savage,
I am wondering if this way of doing the camera download is the easiest way? I just add the data base to my Tom Tom and it overwrites and updates! But with the Garmin POI loader I'm none too sure! so that's the way I go about it.
My Garmin is the 2595 Nuvi LMT
Sorry If I have confused the issue?
dunk
dunk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:38 am    Post subject: Garmin camera alerts volume? Reply with quote

Just a quick query? Can anything be done to lower the volume of the Garmin alerts!
I want to be alerted but not to be given a heart attack?
Regards dunk
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there was a very recent thread with some instructions about using Audacity.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
RSavage
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Poi loader downloads Reply with quote

dunk wrote:
Hi R.Savage,
I am wondering if this way of doing the camera download is the easiest way? I just add the data base to my Tom Tom and it overwrites and updates! But with the Garmin POI loader I'm none too sure! so that's the way I go about it.
My Garmin is the 2595 Nuvi LMT
Sorry If I have confused the issue?
dunk

Hi Dunk

Wasn't suggesting that you had confused matters. Ever since I subscribed to PGPSW I have downloaded the .csv file and copied it to both my Zumo 550 and Nuvi 1340 using POILoader. It's been quick enough for me and, until recently, the alerts have behaved as expected. It's only recently that they are missbehaving.

Richard

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: