Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Could a 7-inch tablet be the perfect satnav?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Could a 7-inch tablet be the perfect satnav?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: subvertbeats Reply with quote

electron278ts wrote:
Fail to understand the reply's to my post. The Nexus 7 has no GPS and therefor cannot show where you are without an internet connection.

Wrong. I can assure you the Nexus 7 has a GPS Chipset and is quite capable of showing you your location without an internet connection.

What it lacks is cellular radio. So it has no mobile data connection. That's an issue if you wish to rely on Google Maps, which downloads the map data on the fly, but it matters not if you use a navigation app that has all the data and maps loaded on the device.
electron278ts
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:14 am    Post subject: Darren Reply with quote

Sorry Darren I was a might confused there. So I read on here that someone has Tom-tom on there unit how would they obtain that for the Nexus 7. One other question you perhaps could answer, Would any speed camera software work on this device. If so it would it make it worth considering for that purpose.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom is not yet available on high resolution Android devices (but they're working on it).

Our speed camera app, CamerAlert app works fine on it though. http:"//www.cameralert.com
adamwolfe
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Darren Reply with quote

electron278ts wrote:
Sorry Darren I was a might confused there. So I read on here that someone has Tom-tom on there unit how would they obtain that for the Nexus 7. One other question you perhaps could answer, Would any speed camera software work on this device. If so it would it make it worth considering for that purpose.

CoPilot GPS (Free) works very well on the Nexus - Give it a try, you've nothing to lose and if no good just uninstall it. Very Happy
AuthiMini
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren,

Somewhat off-topic: On your review of the iPad Mini without GPS, could the iPad work with a Bluetooth GPS reciever? I'll bet I'm not the only one here with one sitting around, and they are now pretty cheap since most of their market has gone away (like my old Palm Zire with TomTom...)

And the next question follows - is there navigation software for the iPad that has the ability to connect with a Bluetooth GPS?

Still, for the money, that Nexus 7 looks promising...

Andrew Russell
San Diego, California
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The iPad mini and other iPads can work with certain Bluetooth GPS receivers. But only those made with specific iOS support.

If you have/use one of those, then any app that uses GPS can utilise the GPS data stream. But the cost of the receiver makes it much simpler and cheaper to just buy the cellular model from the outset.
Kritou
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run CamerAlert on a jailbroken iPod 4th generation (iOS5) using roqyBT4 and an elderly Amaryllo BTGPS I won years ago as a PGPSW doorprize. Running just BT and not GPS means lower power consumption

It should only be a couple of weeks before an untethered j/b is available for the Mini iPad on iOS6 and to my mind that would be the perfect SatNav

Results however do seem to be app dependent - C/A works just fine but others won't talk to the GPS
scoobiewrx
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:59 am    Post subject: RE: 7" Nav Tab...... Reply with quote

I've been running an HTC Flyer 3G version for the last year.

It does everything you could possibly want it to do and of course provides all the Navigation i need. IMHO the FLyer is still the best 7" android tab on the market and mine runs a custom ROM with mobile phone function. absolutely Brilliant!!

I run Sygic nav software which i think is very good, intuitive and well priced, and the latest CoPilot Nav software for comparison which although is very good isn't quite so easy to navigate around as Sygic although CoPilot does allow you to type in a full postcode and individual building/road number straight after whereas Sygic doesn't.

I highly recommend you buy a 7" tablet, ideally with a mobile data connection rather than just Wi-Fi otherwise you are very limited where you can use a data connection to update maps and other apps on the fly and on the move. 3G/4G is the way.

Just make sure you have a very secure and wobble/vibration free mount because 7" tabs aren't the lightest of gadgets and will wobble about in their mounts over bumps and ripples in the road.

Francis Smile

ETA: Of course i run CameraAlert too, I wouldn't ever want to be without my driving license saver.

And for those that run a tab without GPS but have the latest Bluetooth stack will be able to run a seperate GPS receiver as i do using a third party app allowing you to connect to receiver with your tab. I run something for Android called Mock GPS Provider. It's free, very easy to use, reliable and gives me a quick connection to my GPS receiver every time.
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: 7" Nav Tab...... Reply with quote

scoobiewrx wrote:

I highly recommend you buy a 7" tablet, ideally with a mobile data connection rather than just Wi-Fi otherwise you are very limited where you can use a data connection to update maps and other apps on the fly and on the move. 3G/4G is the way.

I have a Nexus 7 which is Wi-Fi only, but once tethered to my SGS3 it does everything a tablet with mobile data would do & I only need one sim & one data contract
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I can happily wait till I get home to update apps and maps.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you use a Tablet(Wifi only)and runnig TomTom Android Navigation and at the end of your journey you switch off your tablet how can you use navigation on TomTom again unless you are near a wifi hotspot due to TomTom check for licence on start up.
Albeit the same problem with Android smartphones for people on PAYG who switch background data off who then have to switch it back on and then off again after licence check. it seems to negate the point of an onboard Nav system.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said in the other forum in which you posted this, that's incorrect. You don't need a data connection at all unless you wish to use HD Traffic.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You missed this then?

TomTom Android app updated - now supports high resolutions
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=91805

But you're right, it's showing as incompatible with my Nexus 7 too, will make enquiries.
DGJones10
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Nexus 7 as GPS Reply with quote

Bought my 32gb wiFi Nexus 7 at Tesco a couple of weeks ago.
The GPS is amazing far quicker than any other GPS I have owned since my Garmin eMap.
Even sat at my desk in my home office which is about 6 feet from a window I get a fix with 8 satellites in 14 seconds.
I have the usual Google Maps installed and also a copy of Memory-Maps 1/50000 OS for the south east I bought about 8 years ago for my HP pocket computer and apparently I have a lifetime licence.
I also have Co-Pilot Live on my Samsung Galaxy Ace and after testing the Nexus in the car may transfer Co-Pilot to it as the screen is so much larger.
Been considering a Brodit mount which appears to offer the most stable mount on the dashboard.
Be pleased to hear from any other users.
In general very pleased with the Nexus 7, glad I didn't buy an Asus Transformer earlier in the year as the 7 inch format seems ideal for my use.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can recommend the Brodit Active mount, got one here (that I paid for). Slots in nicely and docks with power. Typical Brodit quality, sturdy and stable.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: