Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navman iCN630 and Pocket PC SP2 Released
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navman iCN630 and Pocket PC SP2 Released

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navman Handhelds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:46 am    Post subject: Navman iCN630 and Pocket PC SP2 Released Reply with quote

Back in March Navman released Service Pack 1 for the iCN630 and Pocket PC users, another quarter on and they have just released Service Pack 2!

Main Enhancements include:-
1. Better Roundabout Negotiation
2. 16-bit Colour Support
3. Better Address searching capabilities
4. Partial and Exact name matching
5. Better ETA calculations
6. Enhanced routing constraints
7. Private roads avoided automatically
8. Better routing for long journeys
9. Language Enhancements

You can download the new intelligent updater for both platforms here.
anglefire
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave,

I've had SP2 on my iCN630 for a few days - and would make some comments.

1. Better roundabout support? I'm sure it has told me the wrong junction a couple of times. But reserve judgement.

2. Apart from a cloudy sky I can't see much improvement for having 16bit colour support.

3. & 4. Can't say I've noticed!

5. ETA Still seams a bit off, especially coming out of cities.

6. What does that mean?

7. I thought it did before - which can be a pain cos many so called private roads, are public rights of way - such as industrial estates. Also a problem in towns like Birmingham with several roads that can be driven down if getting access to somewhere. Fair enough not to take them as a short cut for a normal route, but when trying to get somewhere that is a "grey" road is a pain.

8. Not done a long enough journey to find out, though seams to take you off motorways and back on again to cut a corner off less.

9. Not noticed.

Having said all that it is going in the right direction. And I still like it alot!

Website

The answer is 42. Now what is the question?
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(2) Sixteen bit colour has enhanced the way the roads stand out on th PPC version.

(7) Whereas before, SmartST wouldn't route you down a road marked as private, nor show you on a 'private' road, now it will. If you set a route to or from a private road, you will actually get (from) there.
anglefire
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Tim,

2) I'm not convinced the change to 16bit colour has helped the maps on the iCN630 - the smaller roads seem to appear on the map later (In 3D View) and the main roads don't seem quite so distinct.

7) That sounds like a useful improvement. I must confess I haven't tried it - but will as soon as I can.

Website

AlfieB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the 16 bit colour 'improvement', I must be honest I can't say I've really noticed much difference either way, but in fairness I have reduced the Brightness on my iCN recently. At present the Map Colours are set on Day and Map Colour Scheme on Default. I've not bothered to change them, so I wouldn't know what the other settings are like.

As far as ETA is concerned, we drove from Yate to Milford on Sea (about 100 miles) and arrived at our destination at exactly the time the unit predicted. OK the ETA fluctuated quite a bit whilst we were driving, due to taking detours and getting held up in queues of traffic.

One thing I am curiuous about and Angelfire might be able to throw some light on it for me and that is the Voice file Confused . When I installed SP2, I thought that the Voices had returned to their original default as at Version 1 which was 2 Male Voices & 2 Female. I had a problem the other day which meant I had to re-install my Software but now I seem to have 5 voices. I've now got a UK Female 4.

Mark, can you tell me what voices you have on your iCN 630 please:?:

Just one final point which concerns New Roads. Our route on Friday took us through Melksham and I came across a 'new' stretch of Dual Carriageway. I think it has only been open for a few months but as it seemed to be going in the right direction we went onto it. We picked it up from the A365, it crosses the A361 at Semington eventually joining up with the A350 near Ashton Common. It was quite funny going along somewhere, which according to the map didn't exist, presumably the same thing happens if you drive along the M6 Toll Road Question I've attached a screenshot of it, and you can see the instruction tells you to go to the nearest road.

How long it will take TeleAtlas to add it is anybody's guess Question

Apart from that I quite happy at present with the iCN's performance since installing SP2.

Best wishes

alfieB

Navman iCN630

Navman N60i

Navman Mio S505

Navman Mio Spirit 695 LM

Mio Spirit 7670 LM Truck
anglefire
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlfieB,

I've noticed the map redraw is slower now. Not normally a problem - unless its got you going backwards and then decides to flip the map around.

I have 5 voices- I thought I had 5 with SP1 - but I can't remember! I use Female 1 because its less intimidating!

Driving down the new M6 toll is like you say - lots of re-routes and grabbing at the nearest farm track! Existing M42 Northbound is the same for a short while as it is now about 100m farther west.

As for the routing on private raods - I had to go to a job on an access only road - mostly for busses but also to a carpark. That worked ok and routed me ok, so a definate improvement!

Website

kevmac YTY
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never got around to updating with SP1 so does SP2 include the SP1 updates?
AlfieB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kev

Yes I believe it does

Regards

alfieB

Navman iCN630

Navman N60i

Navman Mio S505

Navman Mio Spirit 695 LM

Mio Spirit 7670 LM Truck
jules99
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 11:01 am    Post subject: SP2 on Ipaq3870 Reply with quote

Have just downloaded the SP2 for SmartST V2 onto my Ipaq 3870 which I use with GPS4410. It doesn't work at all now!

As soon as I setup a route (via Navigate To) and the GPS fix is obtained i get the voice command 'Continue 1.5 miles' and then the program shutsdown and the Ipaq displays the 'Today' page.

Have emailed Navman but no reply as yet.

Has anyone else had a similar problem?

Look's like I'm stuck with SP1 for the time-being which is a pity since the road my house is on is shown as a private one and SP1 never gets me home (though I do know the route for the last 2 miles!)
jules99
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 9:31 am    Post subject: SP2 on IPAQ3870 Reply with quote

Just had some feedback from Navman regarding why SP2 does not work on my IPAQ3870:

Apparently IPAQ3870 was originally installed with PPC 2002 and was upgraded by the manufacturer/supplier with 2003 version. This combination is not compatible with SP2 of SmartST.

So it looks like I am stuck with SP1 which works after a fashion. Crying or Very sad

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navman Handhelds All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: