Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Could a 7-inch tablet be the perfect satnav?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Could a 7-inch tablet be the perfect satnav?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boblister
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a Nexus 7 16gb in September. They were a bit thin on the ground still then. I still have my first gen iPad but have to admit the Nexus is getting more use. 16GB is not causing a problem yet as music and photo albums all live on the iPhone. But I do like the GPS built into the Nexus as they seem to give apps access to a lot more information than apple do with their GPS. A particular app I like is GPS Essentials.
electron278ts
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:36 am    Post subject: Nexus 7 Reply with quote

Find it difficult to see how this can be easily used as a sat nav. It can only update information via a Wi-Fi network.
subvertbeats
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Nexus 7 Reply with quote

electron278ts wrote:
Find it difficult to see how this can be easily used as a sat nav. It can only update information via a Wi-Fi network.

1. Most paid satnav have pre-downloaded maps so dont require a connection for anything except live services such as realtime traffic

2. I do like to be able to use such live services, as well as apps like google maps ocassionally, so I just set my phone up as a wifi hotspot. Works perfectly.
adamwolfe
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Nexus 7 Reply with quote

electron278ts wrote:

On board mapping ie CoPilot or others - no network required, only GPS. Smile
sanqhar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:56 am    Post subject: Route Planning Reply with quote

Can I plan a route on the Nexus 7 and then transfer it to my Garmin?

I have a weatherproof Zumo used on a motorcycle. Using the Nexus on the bike is not really an option.

tom
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

subvertbeats wrote:
Hi Darren

You might be interested in this:

https://plus.google.com/photos/112485274203492471507/albums/5790651485778633105

Smile
Do those magnets stay in place when the Elise is being driven at the limits of its performance (on a track, obviously!)?

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
happyhenry
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Nooooo! Reply with quote

A 7" tablet as the ideal satnav? You must be joking!

Two days ago I followed an idiot through Bristol. He had a small TomTom stuck on the screen of his aged burgundy Fiesta. The unit was right in front of his face - literally in his direct line of sight.

How he could see where he was going was a mystery.

And he's not the only one, there are plenty out there like him. Can you imagine the carnage when these morons start sticking 7" tablets on their windscreens?

Please don't tell me that he'll get pulled for it. We all know there are no traffic police left.
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 16GB Nexus 7 which has dozens of apps installed, including TomTom & CoPilot, 6GB music, photographs & loads of documents, yet still has over 3GB free. Unless I start to load movie files I can't see how I'll ever run out of storage space
adamwolfe
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterc10 wrote:
adamwolfe wrote:
CoPilot GPS (Free) works very well on the Nexus available here:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.alk.copilot.mapviewer&feature=nav_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDMsImNvbS5hbGsuY29waWxvdC5tYXB2aWV3ZXIiXQ..

Yes but the free version isn't really a sat nav, given that it has no voice directions. For that (essential) you have to pay.

If you already have a CoPilot id and insert as requested, it does work!
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apart from a few scaling glitches casued by the HD screen resolution TomTom Android works very wellonce sideloaded
briwy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IGo works well on it too.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Nexus 7 Reply with quote

electron278ts wrote:

I'm using on-board satnav so no data connection is required.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Nooooo! Reply with quote

happyhenry wrote:
A 7" tablet as the ideal satnav? You must be joking!

Two days ago I followed an idiot through Bristol. He had a small TomTom stuck on the screen of his aged burgundy Fiesta. The unit was right in front of his face - literally in his direct line of sight.

Mine is mounted on the dash, in a cradle. There will always be idiots like that and I see plenty who have their Garmin or TomTom stuck to the windscreen directly in front of them, idiots I agree. Doesn't change the fact that the 7" screen makes a superb sat-nav, with the caveat that it needs to be mounted such that it will not obscure your vision as does any satnav of course.
electron278ts
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:48 am    Post subject: subvertbeats Reply with quote

Fail to understand the reply's to my post. The Nexus 7 has no GPS and therefor cannot show where you are without an internet connection.
Having a static map that does not know where you are when on the move is not a replacement for a sat-nav. Darren, if you have an on board sat-nav how is that a replacement for a sat nav which is what I thought we were talking about. I have a Nexus 7 and it is great but how it can easily replace my Tomtom I do not understand.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: subvertbeats Reply with quote

electron278ts wrote:
Fail to understand the reply's to my post. The Nexus 7 has no GPS and therefor cannot show where you are without an internet connection.
From the OP.
Quote:
So I've invested in a Google Nexus 7. The latest variant went on sale Monday with the 32GB Wi-Fi only version a bargain £199.00. There is a cellular radio equipped option coming later this month but the most important distinction here is that all the Nexus 7's are equipped with GPS. On the iPad that's reserved for the Wi-Fi plus Cellular models only.
The Bold text is mine.

You don't have to have an internet connection to use a satnav, only a GPS facility.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: