Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Lifetime Map Updates Con
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Lifetime Map Updates Con

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sdm197
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: TomTom Lifetime Map Updates Con Reply with quote

Hi All,

I bought a TomTom 1005World after carefully reading the TomTom advert for free lifetime updates. I quote here below

"Maps – these are any full updates to the map that is pre-installed on your device or come with your smartphone app (Geographical coverage and feature support in the map will continue to match the original)."

So you would think that it would cover all maps on the device, well apparently not according to TomTom, they say they will only update Europe.

I went back to them with a screenshot of their blatant false advertising and said "Please show me where it says only partial updates, or your maps will not continue to match the original, it does not, it says the opposite."

They are refusing to budge, can any of you assist in suggestions of how I take this further. This is blatant false advertising.

SDM197.
Greenglide
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm.

The lifetime map updates in the USA seem to do the opposite. The last time I looked they specifically excluded the European map but this was before the lifetime map updates was available outside the USA.

I notice that they say "these are any full updates to the map that is pre-installed on your device ". Use of the singular would imply that there is only one map.

Presumably the "overlooked" the "whole world" models which used to be the 910, 9920, 930, 940 and 950 devices.

Presumably the "could" try to claim it was an ommision in their advertising.

Have a go at TT, could have a punt at your local Trading Standards, WatchDog (always good for a laugh) and write to CEO of TT?
Google Nexus One with Google Maps & NDrive
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad
Sorry to be a killjoy, but, unfortunately, the Offer clearly says
Quote:
GO LIVE 1005 World (Lifetime Maps on EU map only)

It was previously discussed here.

The only glimmer of hope that I could offer would be if you bought the 1005 World in the first 2 or 3 days of the offer, as I KNOW, but can't prove, that they didn't have the conditions page in place.

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
sdm197
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JockTamsonsBairn wrote:
Sad
Sorry to be a killjoy, but, unfortunately, the Offer clearly says
Quote:
GO LIVE 1005 World (Lifetime Maps on EU map only)

It was previously discussed here.

The only glimmer of hope that I could offer would be if you bought the 1005 World in the first 2 or 3 days of the offer, as I KNOW, but can't prove, that they didn't have the conditions page in place.

thanks for your response but it still states on their website today "Maps – these are any full updates to the map that is pre-installed on your device or come with your smartphone app (Geographical coverage and feature support in the map will continue to match the original)."

Original in my book means all maps.

I placed the order on the 26th of September, I would have noticed if it was limited to EU as before I had a TT940 and when I updated the maps it only updated EU and not North America.

I realise the conditions have changed now, does anyone know when they changed it?

thanks in advance,

SDM197.
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting!! They seem to have 2 different Lifetime Map offers on their site, the one I was looking at and the one you were looking at! It almost as if the left hand didn't know what the right hand was doing!!

As you say, yours clearly says Geographical coverage and feature support in the map will continue to match the original!

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
sdm197
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

here is the link

http://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/maps/lifetime-maps/index.jsp

SDM197.
pward
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sdm197 wrote:
Hi,

here is the link

http://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/maps/lifetime-maps/index.jsp

SDM197.

Hmm. That page says same geographical coverage and the Terms & Conditions tab does not mention the World/EU map issue. The issue is mentioned if you follow the 'How To Get It' tab to the map promotion link, but you wouldn't/shouldn't be expected to read that before purchasing.

I think you have a case to argue. I would find the email address of the most senior person I could find it TomTom and compose a nice email explaining the above, saying that you purchased the unit in good faith having read the offer details at the time and asking them to grant lifetime map updates for your unit.

Good luck and let us know how you get on!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: