Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom for Android lands in Google Play store
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom for Android lands in Google Play store
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

topbanana4 wrote:
This is taken from my other thread !! Hope it helps

i have a rooted htc desire and found how to get all our old favorites back, i can't find a mapsettings file.
you have to go into the root of your phone then follow this
data/data/com.tomtom.weurope/files/personal/pois
there you will find the Favo

I suspected that TomTom would squirrel config files away from prying eyes, and I don't particularly want to root my SGS3 so I don't have access to them. For the moment I'll stick to using TomTom in conjunction with CameraAlert although I may experiment with different sized camera PGPSW icons & see if they'll work
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PGPSW Database display - UPDATE

When copying the PGPSW database to the TomTom Android map folder delete the standard size icons (bitmaps) & rename the X2 icons by removing "_X2" - the app will now display the larger, colour camera icons, although it does try to modify the icon shape by adding an extra bit to the bottom right, but it isn't causing any problems.

The result is that you can now have the TomTom Android app with full PGPSW database, but the alerts will still have to come from CameraAlert![/b]
Lui-G
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I tried my maiden voyage with my SG3 + 750Live side by side.

The wider screen on the SG3 is nicer, but as mentioned before, it isn't quite optimised yet. Aside from small buttons to press, the navigation display square is very big and it's contents small, so not as simple to see what manoeuvre is coming up as on the 750. In landscape mode the map is slightly off-centre to the left, which is oddly satisfying, since we sit on the right of the car , and the all the display data is on the right. I expect its an HD screen layout glitch though.

The instructions / routing were thankfully identical on both devices, and only a split-second apart in voice prompts.

Note that the sound was much clearer on the TomTom.

However, the SG3 did loose GPs for a few seconds whilst driving, and the app did crash once when setting a destination, whereas the 750 just worked.

This reminded me of using the Nokia N95 with Tomtom (which would sometimes overheat, and reboot, making you guess your route for about a minute before it resumed; or even before that - the Palm T3 with Tomtom which sometimes would freeze up, and once got reset and all data was lost in the middle of a journey. There was always a risk of the app crashing, or the unit rebooting, depending on what you'd been doing with it before, or, in the case of the N95, if a call came in. The SG3 is far, far more powerful than the 750, but it is multi-tasking, and so sometimes things go wrong. My 750 just does what it should, and I that reliability is quite valuable when a "technical distraction" could cause an (stupid) accident.

I was also tempted to get a new unit from TomTom as they are currently offering free life-time maps until Xmas, but it seems that newer devices no longer support remote controls (!) - so I'll stick to the 750 which I like to place at the very bottom of the centre of the windscreen (Mazda5) - which is too far to reach - hence a remote is essential. I can also control the unit with the remote without looking at the screen as I know how many clicks to press to navigate through the simple menu. This I feel is safer than a touch screen.

Like IanS100 , TomTom on my SG3 will be my backup navigation - which I'll happily trust whenever my 750 isn't around. I've also owned a few versions of CoPilot & tried Sygic & Google but TomTom's just seem more mature.
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 550 has been retired since I changed car & although I have the SGS3 on the dash to the right of the column I don't really want anything else stuck stuck on the dash/screen, which is why I've slowly worked my way through all the Android Navigation apps. Despite the drawbacks of using TomTom on an unsupported device I still find it far better that any of the alternatives ie Sygic & CoPilot et al.

I think I can cope with the small text & big blue navigation box until TomTom sort themselves out, particularly now that I can display the PGPSW database with respectably sized icons.

I don't find the sound volume/quality a problem or any worse that the 550, & it's certainly better that CoPilot's solution of forcing all speech through the car radio if the phone is connected by bluetooth.

One slight problem is that I've had the app locate me somewhere completely different when stationary & just viewing the map, but it seems to sort itself out once on the move. I also have a strange flashing blue blob which seems to move round with the map but I've no idea what it is or what it indicates, see pic below, top left. This again disappears once out of Map View

You'll also notice the strange shape of the camera icons courtesy of TomTom

Lui-G
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IanS100 wrote:
One slight problem is that I've had the app locate me somewhere completely different when stationary & just viewing the map, but it seems to sort itself out once on the move. I also have a strange flashing blue blob which seems to move round with the map but I've no idea what it is or what it indicates, see pic below, top left. This again disappears once out of Map View

Hi,

I think the blue dot is your cursor. It stays wherever you press it, and you could then ask to navigate there.

When I initially started to use it, it was placing me well into the English Channel even though I'm at least 200m from the sea. At the time, other apps were reporting my location correctly. Like you, in use this wasn't a problem.

It's funny, I just found an old post I made on this forum when I got the 750, and I said it sounded terrible - worse than the N95! Funny how you get used to things.

Another glitch I found is when zooming the map, in "View Map" mode - the zooming action is smooth, but then the screen flashes green before it redraws. It's an annoying artefact, and I hope it's "HD" related - perhaps someone with a supported device can confirm this.
topbanana4
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does anybody know how to turn off the tomtom camera alerts as i only want pocketgps cameralert app working
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lui-G wrote:
IanS100 wrote:

Hi,

I think the blue dot is your cursor. It stays wherever you press it, and you could then ask to navigate there.

You're right, I hadn't selected anywhere so never thought of that Embarassed

I'll have a look at the screen redraw later

topbanana4 wrote:
does anybody know how to turn off the tomtom camera alerts as i only want pocketgps cameralert app working

Have you purchased TomTom's camera alerts for the app because there don't seem to be any installed by default?
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple more observations, there only seem to be 2 map views, 3D & map view (N/S). When in map view there's no option to have the direction of travel at the top so the maps remain static in N/S view.

As previously stated the current position is shifted to the left of the screen, presumably due to the SGS3 having a hi-res screen, I've also noted that it is shifted up the screen too, probably for the same reason.
eillo7
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a first release version 1.0 so it isn't surprising to find that some functionality is missing.

I am also not a subscriber to the hi-res conspiracy theories. It is more likely to be a case that Tomtom were getting desperate to put the app out to market so decided to release initially without hi-res support. There are still a lot of Galaxy SII units out there (and equivalent HTC alternatives), probably more than the more recent higher resolution devices.

I remember reading something that suggested Tomtom were planning the release in time for the summer holiday business. Clearly they missed that target which is why I suspect that they have been suffering delays and decided to push out what they have rather than waiting even longer to build in wider support. It will come, Tomtom aren't [that] stupid...

I'm pretty happy with the app so far. A couple of crashes and freezes, but pretty good for an initial release.

My main annoyance at the moment is the large bright blue junction preview/volume control box which remains large and bright blue in night mode. It does look like a bit of an afterthought and doesn't integrate well with the rest of the UI.
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lui-G wrote:
Another glitch I found is when zooming the map, in "View Map" mode - the zooming action is smooth, but then the screen flashes green before it redraws. It's an annoying artefact, and I hope it's "HD" related - perhaps someone with a supported device can confirm this.

I have the same green flash before redraw which I assume is the screen background colour without the map overlay, which certainly makes it look buggy. Google maps manages to do a redraw without the extra frames appearing so I hope TomTom manages it aswell, I'd also be interested to know if it occurs in the officially supported devices!

eillo7 wrote:
I remember reading something that suggested Tomtom were planning the release in time for the summer holiday business. Clearly they missed that target which is why I suspect that they have been suffering delays and decided to push out what they have rather than waiting even longer to build in wider support. It will come, Tomtom aren't [that] stupid...

I mentioned this on a TomTom Forum & this is the response I got:
Tomtom never promised summer release of the app. The CTO said "summer is important to us" in and interview and it was misunderstood as a promise.

So we were all wrong!!
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE: TomTom on Nexus 7

Apart from the big blue directions box it works very well on the Nexus 7 too, although occasionaly it does seem to have problems communication with GPS
sausages
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IanS100 wrote:
UPDATE: TomTom on Nexus 7

Apart from the big blue directions box it works very well on the Nexus 7 too, although occasionaly it does seem to have problems communication with GPS

I haven't had any GPS issues on my N7 but the lack of POI management and warnings is astonishing.

Due to not being able to download 3GB of data within 15 minutes for refund purposes I side-loaded the app.

Glad I did as it's cr@pware and the best bit? When you un-install the app it leaves the map data behind, taking up 3GB of space.

TomTom used to be a decent company, now they are a cross between a joke and a running sore.
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sausages wrote:
I haven't had any GPS issues on my N7 but the lack of POI management and warnings is astonishing.

I totally agree & hopefully it’s something that will be addressed in future updates, although I wouldn’t be at all surprised if anything even remotely tweakable, is salted away in the root directories.

sausages wrote:
Due to not being able to download 3GB of data within 15 minutes for refund purposes I side-loaded the app.

I’m not sure what sideloading; 3GB & 15 minutes have to do with it because, officially it is neither supported nor available for the Nexus 7, so it would be impossible to install it via a PLAY download. I installed it because, despite it being unsupported I wanted to know how it was on the Nexus 7, I don’t doubt others will be interested too

sausages wrote:
Glad I did as it's cr@pware and the best bit? When you un-install the app it leaves the map data behind, taking up 3GB of space.

Calling it cr@pware is a little unjustified as you’ve installed in on an incompatible device but I can name you dozens of programs that leave unused files behind taking up space. Writing complete & efficient uninstall routines doesn’t seem to be a top priority these days. As an example, If you install “Norton Internet Security” et al you’ll have to download yet another program to remove all traces of it before you can install other Internet Security software - such is life!!

sausages wrote:
TomTom used to be a decent company, now they are a cross between a joke and a running sore.

You wouldn’t happen to work for ALK/CoPilot would you? Laughing
sausages
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IanS100 wrote:
I’m not sure what sideloading; 3GB & 15 minutes have to do with it .... I don’t doubt others will be interested too

Ok, say I installed TomTom Europe on my phone.

I can't use the app until I've downloaded the map. That takes longer than 15 minutes.

After 15 minutes it's a ball ache to get a refund when you discover that TomTom is missing essential features like POI warnings for PGPSW speed cameras.

sausages wrote:

IanS100 wrote:
Calling it cr@pware is a little unjustified as you’ve installed in on an incompatible device

No, I've installed it on my N7 and my HD2 with 2 different iterations of Android, booting via SD card.

The TomTom folder will show up after a reboot and it's possible to delete a large amount of data but it still leaves some bloat in the system file area so unless you have root the bloat remains.

I don't work for ALK/CoPilot but I have been using TomTom since 2005

This iteration of TomTom, and I can say this with the benefit of all that experience, is featureless rubbish.
reyn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am trying to find out what it is capable of before I shell out £40.
At present I use a TomTom 1 XL and a HTC Desire with CoPilot as a second device. I find the TomTom 1 excellent and it usually takes me where I want to go but I have to check the route first and if necessary use Itinerary to modify it. CoPilot takes me to some funny places so I don't use it much.
Does TomTom Android have a route planning function and secondly where can I find out some more details or are you expected to hope for the best?
Thanks
Frank

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: