Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom for Android lands in Google Play store
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom for Android lands in Google Play store
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
navtrav
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IanS100 wrote:

By the looks of it, if you have a high end phone released in the last 12 months you're stuffed, ironically this is the very market I would've expected TomTom to be targeting Shocked

Absolutely. So disappointing.

Samsung Galaxy S4, Galaxy Tablet S, TomTom. Osmand+ and Sygic. Ex-TomTom Go 1000 Live, ex-TomTom Go 700, ex-TomTom truck, ex Navman/Ipaq
mrg2003
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:13 am    Post subject: compatability with android platform Reply with quote

I've been part of TTs beta program since the early 2000s, and have had the android for the past 6 months. We partner with TT to put it into various vehicles as an embedded application. The closed beta has a number of restrictions, similar to the apple one a few years ago, but it can be made to work on a number of platforms. I have had it working on an S2, and an Asus transformer, and a huweli , as these have been my demonstration platforms.
I can't see any technical reason why they will not, in time release it for more platforms.
The alternative is to use a custom rom, that has an abstraction layer that reports a different hardware layout to the application.
If you look on the forums, you'll find the detail.

I think part of the problem, is the rapid changes in the Android OS. JB has forked into two versions, and KLP (5.x) is due soon as well. TT have always put a lot of software protection in , that gets in the way of the OS. I think all the techies agree that, getting it to work on as many platforms as possible can only be a good thing. I think they are trying to be Apple, and failing.
JTHM
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to Engadget, TomTom say they will support almost all current devices by the end of the year.

...it would work on my JB Nexus S though (if I had enough space!)
topbanana4
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anybody found if they have the mapsettings file so I could copy the file from my tomtom go ???
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The quote in the post by Lui-G about making the app work is affirmed here as well:

http://www.tomtomforums.com/t28678-android-phone-compatibility.html#post167154

See the post by mvl.
NJSS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:39 am    Post subject: TomTom have really got it wrong Reply with quote

Not available for my present Samsung Galaxy Note nor the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 which I am getting to replace it.

Worse still it's not available for my Motorola Xoom Tablet.

Surely TomTom have the wit & resources to port their app to the most popular Android devices?

It is interesting that most of the "early" phones on which TomTom may run, may have a problem with insufficient free memory.

Last edited by NJSS on Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
AntonM
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the supposition that TT will get it right fairly soon, is it worth taking advantage of the introductory offer of £30.99 now and waiting for the problems to be sorted? Or does TT's reputation not support that assumption?

This is absolutely dreadful, and TT needs to "please explain". I get the impression of everyone at TT having iPhones with only one or two staff having androids just for laffs, and it works on those...

Surely... surely they didn't "hardwire" the resolution into the software?? ... I thought display resolution dependency was banished by the BBC Micro two or three decades ago!
norm2002
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is that they are going to try to charge an extra £10 for the so-called HD devices.
angamb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:18 pm    Post subject: Downloaded to Samsung Galaxy Note II before removal! Reply with quote

I downloaded the app on my Samsung Galaxy Note II and tried it for 15 minutes before refunding. But when I went back to Google Play later, the app was missing. I found it on the online version of Google Play but it stated my device wasn't compatible!

Now it did run absolutely fine on my device as far as I could tell.

During the trial I quickly concluded however that it's not a patch on CoPilot Live Premium. The menu's looked nice but there weren't many user options and the map display was basic to say the least. It costs a lot more than CoPilot and you don't get the free 1yr traffic promotion that CoPilot offers.

I doubt I will buying TomTom until they can match the PNA versions.
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an ex-Tom Tom user I just want to reassure those people that still use it that there is life after Tom Tom. When I switched from WM to Android I was forced to chance from TT to Sygic. And boy am I glad I did.

Ok the interface is different but I am used to it now and it causes me no problems. As others have said it uses TT maps and traffic. I have never had any problems with its routing and their support is so much better and knowledgeable that TT's. So far I have had 3 major updates to the app as well as several minor ones and I can download the latest maps whenever I want them. And all at no extra cost. And finally it is cheaper than TT's "reduced" price.

I will not be changing back.
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
Lui-G
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the good news is that it does work on the i9300 Samsung S3 - unbranded stock ROM.

I legitimately purchased the app onto my old HTC Desire (under 50MB), then backed up the APK app using this method:
http://droidlessons.com/how-to-backup-android-apps-and-save-them-to-apk-file/

[ note that I will not 'share' the apk, so don't ask ]

After that, I got the apk onto my S3 and installed it.

Then I downloaded the maps...

It seems to be working fine, except for some minor cosmetic issues, none of which seem critical.

Note that the UI is radically different to the TT750 or even the iPhone version.

In the UI, there's many tiny buttons to press, which is harder to press than the larger buttons. I'm not sure if I like it yet. It works well, but the UI seems very clunky and undesigned - more so in landscape mode (just a bunch of floating rectangles) - though this could be the very reason why it has been held back, so they can make it look nicer on HD screens.

Anyway, I've finally got what I wanted. Now I just need some time to go and use it.

PS - it just froze my phone.

EDIT - after the drastic freeze, a reboot and clearing some space seems to have calmed it all down. It's stable and I'm glad I got it working on the S3 before waiting till "by the end of the year".

Last edited by Lui-G on Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
navtrav
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterc10 wrote:
As an ex-Tom Tom user I just want to reassure those people that still use it that there is life after Tom Tom. When I switched from WM to Android I was forced to chance from TT to Sygic. And boy am I glad I did.

Ok the interface is different but I am used to it now and it causes me no problems. As others have said it uses TT maps and traffic.

Ah, but does Sygic use TomTom traffic? I'd be surprised if TT gave their intellectual rights to another party - and all that's involved. I'm alluding to the way it collects all the traffic data as explained in that excellent p-gpsworld series of articles on the TT machinations.

Samsung Galaxy S4, Galaxy Tablet S, TomTom. Osmand+ and Sygic. Ex-TomTom Go 1000 Live, ex-TomTom Go 700, ex-TomTom truck, ex Navman/Ipaq
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

navtrav wrote:
Ah, but does Sygic use TomTom traffic? .

Well it says it does. Here are the exact words copied directly from their support pages

HD Traffic from TomTom is here!
Hi Guys,

I am really happy to let you know that from now on our real-time traffic is powered by TomTom.

If you’ve been using our traffic, TomTom data is already switched on for you.
And if not, now is the best time to get the TomTom HD Traffic for your Sygic app.

The service is more stable and accessible than ever, because we have moved it to the cloud and use Microsoft Azure cloud service for delivery.

For greater accuracy and coverage we have switched from TMC to OpenLR technology. This means coverage even on smaller roads and more precise traffic flow visualization.

More improvements are in the works with TomTom IQ Routes Smile

HD Traffic from TomTom is available in our eshop both for iOS and for Android.

So definitely TT HD traffic with IQ routes to follow later
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but in another thread where people are complaining about it here, they say they are not using TT data as an excuse for no delay times being displayed, so there seems to be a conflict of information which was pointed out in the thread but has not yet elicited a confirmatory response from Sygic.

@ Lui-G. Thanks for the backup link. Jolly interesting tro enable changes to be made to any app on a non rooted phone?
Rick-uk
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterc10 wrote:

Ok the interface is different but I am used to it now and it causes me no problems. As others have said it uses TT maps and traffic. I have never had any problems with its routing and their support is so much better and knowledgeable that TT's. So far I have had 3 major updates to the app as well as several minor ones and I can download the latest maps whenever I want them. And all at no extra cost. And finally it is cheaper than TT's "reduced" price.

I will not be changing back.

Well said.

TT do not offer a cut down trial version so I couldn't try it if I wanted to.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: