Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Go740 safe to update from v8.371 software?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Go740 safe to update from v8.371 software?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnMulholland
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:43 am    Post subject: Go740 safe to update from v8.371 software? Reply with quote

Is it safe to update from v8.371 to the latest software without losing Live Services? I tried to update to the latest map a few weeks ago and had to clear and re-load everything from my backup to get my 740 to restart.

Otherwise, can I use the latest maps with v8.371?

Also, does the latest version of TT Home force me to update my device?
Map: Europe v925.5413
justbrowsing
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Latest 9.430 is fine. I think TTHome still "force" it but go ahead (after a full Windows backup)
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the earlier versions of Home unzip the latest map, so you'd have to update it.

Edit: spelling [again!]
Kia In-dash Tomtom

Last edited by Guivre46 on Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
ratman633
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm staying on 8.371, the live services work with 9.430 but when I drove through an area with no vodafone reception I lost the traffic bar completely, it just disappeared, it did eventually come back but could take anything up to 30 minutes before it showed again. Try it and see how you get on, but as everyone else has said make sure you have a good backup.

Keith
wildcard
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Navcore 9.43 no way Reply with quote

ratman633 wrote:
I'm staying on 8.371, the live services work with 9.430 but when I drove through an area with no vodafone reception I lost the traffic bar completely, it just disappeared, it did eventually come back but could take anything up to 30 minutes before it showed again. Try it and see how you get on, but as everyone else has said make sure you have a good backup.

Keith

Decided to let TT update Home then force feed me 9.43 onto my 940.
Surely they must have fixed the Live / Traffic issues by now. Oh no they haven't . I keep on getting SIM card errors 148 & 111 or Live services cannot be contacted . Their Customer support claims that I need to get a network signal strength of 3 to 4 bars before it will work. I usually get 1 .
The whole thing is now completely unreliable - I cannot be certain on switch on whether I get a traffic bar plus ( slow) download of data or no Live services and SIM card errors . Todays trip to Huntingdon seems to function on 1 bar of signal but this evenings trip to the supermarket gave a SIM error and no bars.
I am winding back to 8.371 as I type. In someways a pity as the 9.43 screen layouts seem an improvement . I especially like the visual speed limit indicator
wildcard
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject: Navcore 9.43 and TTx40 series Reply with quote

As TT Customer service mentioned signal strength as the probable cause of SIM card errors , I decided to let my 940 display the network signal strength on my drive to work this morning ( running 8.371 ). The A41 Kings Langley by pass happens to have a network mast near the summit. It was only when the car was within less than 100 meters of the mast that the TT displayed a 5 bar Vodafone signal . So clearly you couldn't expect this level of signal for more than a few seconds every so often - and never unless you actually drove past a roadside mast. The average seemed around 3 bars from HP4 to Watford.
I suppose the real test is to reload 9.43 and repeat the same journey. I will save this for another time . Clearly I believe the problem lies with Navcore 9.43's interaction with the SIM card and not with Vodafone .
Rickj2903
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TT eventually replaced my 940 with a 1000 Live after I constantly complained about the connection issues (slow to connect and intermittent connection) after being forced to update from 8.371 (which my 940 worked perfectly on).

I (and others) firmly believe that the issues are a firmware issue not the unit/SIM.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: