Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Driving with satnav can cause blindness to other hazards
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Driving with satnav can cause blindness to other hazards

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Driving with satnav can cause blindness to other hazards Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.com
Driving with a satnav guiding you can be dangerous according to a study by the Institute of Cognitive Neuroscience..

In tests it was demonstrated that the act of trying to retain a visual memory of an image from the satnav screen can lead to you missing events happening in front of your eyes.

This "inattentional blindness" has been demonstrated in other studies including the 'invisible gorrlla' where people shown a video of a basket ball game fail to notice the man dressed in a gorilla suit who walks across the court.

The research has shown that the increased memory load caused by having to retain the mental image of the directions displayed on the satnav causes the blindness to other events and hazards.

Source: University College of London

email icon

Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Similar to the research about trying to follow a route on a sat nav. How does keeping an image of the manouevre in your mind differ between a road atlas and a sat nav? If anything I'd have thought the sat nav needed less attention?
Kia In-dash Tomtom
kevinx
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's even MORE dangerous driving without common sense,

(for the idiots who end up in streams etc, and blame their sat nav)

Can they say 'RED' backwards?? ;-)
Mv710.1561(W Europe)+Traffic, N82 connection to GPRS traffic
+
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are far more likely to stop to read a map.
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:

But then you have to retain a mental image of the route shown on the map, whereas with satnav you know you'll get spoken directions as you approach a turn so don't need to retain the image.
Samsung Galaxy S21
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevinx wrote:

Can they say 'RED' backwards?? ;-)

Love it, nice one. Laughing
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As has been said, I think it's a lot more distracting trying to remember directions from a map, but it's not just sat navs, what about volume of traffic, complicated road layouts, traffic signs, one way systems, speed cameras and traffic calming etc etc, thye're all adding to increased memory & work load. In the face of all those I'd rather have a sat nav than paper maps, notes or trying to remember where I'm going
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But those things are normal driving 'hazards' for which you don't have to remember and can be seen by looking out of the window. I agree that I would prefer a satnav to paper maps, but that's not the point that the University were making. It is generally accepted that phone calls distract a great deal even when hands free, the University is just effectively saying that the satnav does it as well.
Gl3n
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to agree. Nearly had a head on the other day as the other driver was on the wrong side of the road going the wrong way through a junction (as in the wrong side of the small island/bollard) and peering around the satnav as it was right in front of them on the windscreen. Shocked
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that that was the point the University were making, but equally as valid and illegal Shocked
Neil_mellerick
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What always amazes me is the number of people (including a TV reporter during this week's Panorama program) who place the SatNav unit directly in their line of sight on the windscreen thereby significantly reducing their view of road obstacles, particularly the nearside kerb/pavement.

The differences between a paper map and a SatNav is that the paper map is a single image which is retained as a snapshot, but the SatNav is a moving image, requiring a huge amount more processing power from the visual cortex, which can interrupt other visual streams.
navtrav
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grief, there are all sorts of distractions that could cause us to crash - two kids fighting in the back for stressed out mum just one example.

It's a marvel that universities are allowed to waste money researching the obvious but equally a marvel that we're not all involved in a crash every day.

Samsung Galaxy S4, Galaxy Tablet S, TomTom. Osmand+ and Sygic. Ex-TomTom Go 1000 Live, ex-TomTom Go 700, ex-TomTom truck, ex Navman/Ipaq
nickhoare
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anita wrote:
M8TJT wrote:

But then you have to retain a mental image of the route shown on the map, whereas with satnav you know you'll get spoken directions as you approach a turn so don't need to retain the image.

Having used 2 or 3 satnavs I have yet to find one where you could rely entirely on the spoken directions.

I agree with the comment that a satnav directly in the line of site on the windscreen may be an issue. It is always going to be there in your peripheral vision.
ianhb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The study only gives SatNav use as an example of the effect, it was not a study involving or examining SatNav use. A discussion of the study is equally valid on a Basketball playing Gorillas forum, as on this one Wink

Another example of the effect, as experienced by two friends of mine many years ago, is a driver focussing on looking for a side road, or direction sign, to a particular place, and then turning right into that side road, without 'seeing' the immediate oncoming car. Two cars were written off, but fortunately no people; if the concentrating driver had had a passenger, the story would have been different.
JimmyTheHand
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be interesting to see whether regular use of a SatNav reduces the amount of brain processing required to follow a strange route - when I first got one I used it on my regular routes to and from work for quite a while, so when I went somewhere I didn't know, I could follow it without thinking about it.

Because the sat nav only tends to give limited information a lot of it will become ingrained as habit, e.g. turn right on roundabout xth exit just becomes a case of recalling not remembering a symbol which I believe is less effort.

Similarly the 3d view ahead, is just showing you a representation of what you see out of the window - therefore there is little work for the brain to translate into which road/junction/exit to take.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: