Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - iOS6 Maps - Apple takes a battering as complaints soar
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

iOS6 Maps - Apple takes a battering as complaints soar
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomtom_shareholder
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The f-ing example was a mistake. Sorry for that. Here in Amsterdam even Central trainstation is not a POI. And our foremost shopping street (compare with Oxford street) has zero shops. Not one!

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Apart from that, you have to let your mind play a little about what happened and also Tim Cooks message. It is a very serious writing on the wall about Apple.

Firstly. When introducing iOS6 Scott Forstall (head of software) mentioned Maps as groundbreaking and beautiful. A few weeks later CEO Tim Cook has to not only apologize, but also recommend competing brands like Nokia and Google. Think about that. So the first question would be: are these people talking together. Do serious problems even climb up to the boardroom? Was it a calculated risk by Cook, or didn't he even have a clue?

Secondly. How is it possible that Apple acquired an aerial imagery company a year ago http://venturebeat.com/2011/10/29/apple-buys-c3-technologies-one-more-cut-into-google-maps-yoke/ without checking the quality of the imagery and also investing in re-doing imagery that is wrong. 3C has their own planes, so it was possible. But it didn't happen.

Thirdly, only the maps in China are without problems. This is because (for military reasons) only Autonavi, a TomTom joint venture partner, is allowed to create maps. The reason Apple maps works well in China, is because there is no fusion of data. In other regions a lot of data have been merged to a single map (check the ecosystem) http://www.davidmihm.com/blog/local-seo/apple-maps-ecosystem/

In my point of view this means that Apple didn't have enough engineers or lacked experienced engineers to merge these data. It seems like Apple, a very cash-rich company has been working on tight budget to create iOS6 Maps. Maps are the linking pin between ecommerce and the physical world and are a very strategic area. To be pennywise poundfoolish in that area is a blunder of huge proportions.

Could it be possible that Apple didn't judge their maps venture as being very strategic? Did they just underestimate? Or is Apple a company where criticism doesn't pour through the walls of the boardroom?

It is utterly confusing indeed how even names of cities can be spelled wrong. Or be moved to polar areas. Even my little sister would have done a better job. Does creating vector based maps mean that they've 'redrawn' maps by hand?

Whatever reason, the damage to Apple's image is already far more costly than simply hiring 100 extra engineers or sourcing employees from TomTom to do the job in the first place.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
tomtom_shareholder wrote:
.... even one village has streets that are all named 'fuck1ng'

Anyone got pics of that? Smile

It's at 48.06776,12.86219. If this thread had appeared a little while ago I could have brought back a photo of the village nameplate - I must have driven within 20 miles of it just over a week ago (I think I submitted a speed camera not too far away). Puts a new slant on RTFM, dunnit?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
JimmyTheHand
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lui-G wrote:
Exclamation It is amazing that a company with such a reputation for fine detail would release such a half-baked product.

because they know people will soon forget about it and their reputation will remain untarnished in most peoples' minds - just like the aerial issues in the iPhone 4, over heating mac books etc. has dropped out of most peoples memory,
JimmyTheHand
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnboy290 wrote:
I know what the cloud is! If apple integrate the app so much, that's their choice. But, as far as pushing out updates is concerned, I don't see a massive advantage. I get updates to some apps very regularly.

data volumes - having the whole of the data required for the mapping applications, including aerial photographs would be rather large - so to fix everyone would have to download the whole set every time there was a data fix, where as now you only download what you need when you need it.

To use it where no data link it makes sense to provide a cache.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimmyTheHand wrote:
All very fine and dandy. But what if you go someplace that you don't know does not have a data link available? You're stuffed Very Happy
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A recent BBC R4Extra Newsjack sketch has a go at Apple's MapApp. Starts at about 2:40.

The BBC link is only valid for the next few days.

EDIT - After posting I couldn't get the above link to work, In case it's not just me, here's a different link
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01mypwb/Newsjack_Series_7_Episode_2 (This time it starts at about 6:40).
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hilarious .......

"Here at Apple we don't make mistakes we introduce features ....." "Luton should be by the sea"

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
JimmyTheHand
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
JimmyTheHand wrote:
All very fine and dandy. But what if you go someplace that you don't know does not have a data link available? You're stuffed Very Happy

I wonder how we coped when all you had was an atlas (yes there is a one of those old fashioned paper things some where in my car, though I think the compass has departed) and/or street map - you could workout which towns I had got lost in by the paper street maps in the car

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: