Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - HD Traffic 6.0
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

HD Traffic 6.0
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dazzabird
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How will we know if I have HD version 6?

Is this a update to the device ?

I must say that HD traffic recently has been dire...along the London A13 at the ' ship and shovel' lights....has been a que of about 15 mins each day due to Olympic phasing of the lights...TomTom reports nothing

My HD live services are due for renewal now and they want about 48 quid to renew.

Ummmm I don't think so

Darren
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dazzabird wrote:

There's no difference on your device, it just refers to how they are doing it at their end.
dazzabird
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok thanks.

Thing my HD live expires today anyway
sixhundred
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just renewed my Live subscription. On the whole I find the traffic extremely useful and worth the money.

Glad to hear they are constantly upgrading it.
dazzabird
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another BIG fail of live traffic yesterday.

On the London A13 yesterday a lane was closed at the Stanford.le.hope bypass ( my exit ) and was causing about 25 min delays.

I was returning from a journey of about 20 miles away, and the damm thn didn't report anything about this delay. A easy diversion for me would to have taken the previous junction exit and taken a road around the back way, therefore saving me a good 20 mins.

Moan complete
Bunty1948
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dazzabird wrote:
Another BIG fail of live traffic yesterday.

On the London A13 yesterday a lane was closed at the Stanford.le.hope bypass ( my exit ) and was causing about 25 min delays.

I was returning from a journey of about 20 miles away, and the damm thn didn't report anything about this delay. A easy diversion for me would to have taken the previous junction exit and taken a road around the back way, therefore saving me a good 20 mins.

Moan complete

AS someone who worked all of his professional life in the highways business, I can confirm that it is more likely that the information has not been passed on by either the Highways Agency, or the local highways authority. It all depends upon someone in either of these organisations sending the information on to organistaions such as the BBC, AA, RAC etc. I know in my area of roads that are closed, often overnight but not exclusively, that were never notified to any of the official organisations, so I'm afraid that unless Tom Tom has a large crystal ball there will always be those examples that slip through the net. Don't alwyas blaim Tom Tom.
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bunty1948 wrote:
AS someone who worked all of his professional life in the highways business, I can confirm that it is more likely that the information has not been passed on by either the Highways Agency, or the local highways authority. It all depends upon someone in either of these organisations sending the information on to organistaions such as the BBC, AA, RAC etc. I know in my area of roads that are closed, often overnight but not exclusively, that were never notified to any of the official organisations, so I'm afraid that unless Tom Tom has a large crystal ball there will always be those examples that slip through the net. Don't alwyas blaim Tom Tom.
I'm not suggesting that you're wrong, but do TT make use of advance notice of roadworks? In this case, surely the Live Traffic should have reported the queue?

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
dazzabird
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hang on..

I thought the TomTom LIVE 125 that i have detects other SIM cards and works out if there is a traffic jam.

Surely all the info about delays and diversions isnt tapped into a machine by someone waiting to input it ?

Darren
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dazzabird wrote:
hang on..
I thought the TomTom LIVE 125 that i have detects other SIM cards and works out if there is a traffic jam.

Not directly! Laughing
The TomTom servers back in Holland collect the data from the Phone companies about SIM card use.
The raw sata from several sources gets wrangled into a manageable size and then it's sent back your VIA.

dazzabird wrote:
Surely all the info about delays and diversions isnt tapped into a machine by someone waiting to input it ?

That's about it. Smile There's probably SOME automation, but it's got humans across it.

This video gives a good idea of what goes on at the Traffic data centre

http://vimeo.com/1854282
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with Bunty1948, there were during my career there, lots of times when we didn't report highway incidents. To us at the time, it was a pain in the neck to pass details on to County Hall.

On Thursday, I went north and returned to have the GO550 Live report a closed road en route, M5/M4 junction area where roadworks are ongoing for months now and they will have occasional night closures. I decided to ignore it (my Carminat had nothing to report, RDS-TMC) and there wasn't a closure, so I sailed through.

Yesterday I went to Cornwall and on the way back, GO550 Live reported a delay of 12 minutes on the A38 and offered a re-route six minutes faster. I decided to take it (Carminat again reported nothing), and as I turned off on a diversion which would add less than a mile to my overall journey, I saw the traffic starting to back up to the junction where I exited. The route went parallel to A38 and I could see the traffic at a virtual standstill most of the way to my rejoining, where it was again clear.

So I've had mixed results from HD Traffic. For me, the real question is when I take an offered diversion, is it faster? The only way to answer that is to have somebody else with my driving characteristics take the route without diverting and see how we compare. It won't ever happen so I'll never know. Confused

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
keithha
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@DennisN, @Bunty1948

But the major point of HD Traffic is that it doesn't rely on reported incidents to determine if there is a delay - to avoid the very issues that you mention, which are all too apparent on other Traffic services (eg RDC - or Radio 2). OK, it may have missed the fact there was a lane closure, but HD Traffic *should* have picked up the fact there was a 25 minute delay.

If anything I've found that it may not report delays properly when it knows there is also a closure, although this seems to have improved in recent months.

And regarding how do you know whether the diversion would be faster - surely this is just an alternative route calculated as for any other route - if you don't trust this then do you trust TomTom at all?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keithha wrote:
And regarding how do you know whether the diversion would be faster - surely this is just an alternative route calculated as for any other route - if you don't trust this then do you trust TomTom at all?

The TomTom is reporting a delay of nn minutes along my route and suggests an alternative route which normally would be slower, but taking consideration of the delay will be faster.

BUT it will only be faster if the delay TT thinks is there, actually IS there and causing a delay of the time length it is using. If the delay isn't there, or is shorter than reported, the alternative route won't be quicker.

My point is that I shall never know if the delay was accurately reported by HD Traffic. In my post, I demonstrated two examples where delays were present in one and not in the other, so they can be of varied quality.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the old traffic there was a major problem with the traffic delays clearing. Only if you saw a delay appearing would you know it was real - otherwise it would have been cleared up hours earlier.

With HD Traffic though, it has been pretty darned reliable for me. The main issue would be where I'm in slow traffic and it hasn't appeared yet. But I've never found a time where there was something reported and wasn't there in some form (it may be reducing, in which case you'll meet it around the corner anyway).

But several times I've had that moment of doubt where traffic delay is reported ahead and you wonder if it is really there. But when I leave the motorway and take some A roads for a bit, you can usually see the motorway standing still and know that it was real, and you are continuing on your journey, albeit diverted. One time a delay started just as I was approaching a junction, and I just went off. That one was small at the time, but needed two helicopters and took hours to clear.

So even though I hate the reduced range, and the oddities of the current implementation, I did renew my HD Traffic this year.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
dazzabird wrote:

There's no difference on your device, it just refers to how they are doing it at their end.

My understanding is that HDT 6.0 has NOT been rolled out to the UK in Production as of yet .........
Graeme2812
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whether related to HD traffic 6.0 or not I've no idea, but for the first time for as long as I can remember TT HD is now showing road closures (ok, a motorway junction closure) in Scotland.

From what I can see neither trafficscotland.org or BBC Travel is reporting it, but it's [HD traffic] currently reporting that junction 5 eastbound on the M8 is closed for both traffic on and off the M8.
United Kingdom & ROI v945.6174

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: