Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - height restrictions on tt 750 live
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

height restrictions on tt 750 live

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jadonx
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:56 am    Post subject: height restrictions on tt 750 live Reply with quote

Is there anyway I can get warning or avoid a low bridge or tunnel when planning a route.

I was just caught out while towing my caravan around Paris on the A86. I had to turn off route to avoid a 2M high tunnel but the TT kept trying to direct me back through it. Turned out to be a 2hour nightmare driving through roads and gardens where a caravan shouldn't be seen Laughing Out Loud.

In hindsight I should of pulled over and selected avoid part of route but I had mad Frenchmen beeping their horns at me every time I slowed down.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Afraid not... on a normal TomTom.

What you need is to be able to set the routing to "avoid all POIs of a certain type", but unfortunately, the standard TomTom software does not have that feature.

As you've found, all that the TT's can do is "avoid part of route", so you could set it to avoid ONE particular low bridge, but only if you manually check for those bridge POIs on the route and then manually get it to recalculate around it.

-----------

However... the (very expensive) TomTom "Truck" maps and software have always been able to avoid things like low bridges, and TT have finally released a version of that specifically for caravanners.

It's based around the Go Live 1005 and is called the Go Live Camper and Caravan

But whether you think it is worth the outrageous price hike to get it is another matter! It's £399.99 as opposed to the standard Go Live 1005 at £269.99.
jadonx
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Afraid not... on a normal TomTom.

But whether you think it is worth the outrageous price hike to get it is another matter! It's £399.99 as opposed to the standard Go Live 1005 at £269.99.

Andy found your reply to this post thanks.

I think i'll stay with the 750 live though as that's a huge price to pay for low bridge/tunnel warning's. I would however be prepared to pay a small sum for an application update for my device if one was available that did this.

Are you reading Tomtom.

John.
BodgerBaz
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't get TomTom to bypass a low bridge but you can use a POI to let you know where a low bridge is.

I have a motorhome and obviously have height issues that a car wouldn't have. A few years ago I downloaded a free POI from a web site where you entered a height and it produced a series of locations of that height and lower. I think I chose 10' - 6" which gave me a few inches to spare!!

It works in a similar way to using the speed camera POIs where you set a sound to the POI to notify you when you came in range. I have duplicated the file and renamed the second one so I now have two files.

One I have set to notify me at 5 miles and the other notifies me at 1/2 mile.

Whilst TomTom won't direct me around the low bridge I do get notification when it's in range so I could stop and re-route myself.

I tried it out when I first set it up and it seemed to work OK. Since then it's never been activated because I've never been anywhere near low bridges.

In addition, I only have a low bridges POI for the UK so this wouldn't have helped when you were abroad.

I see that we have a premium POI download for low bridges but it's a separate one for each height. If you downloaded a copy of those you'd just need to assign a distance and a sound. Might save a paint job?

Good luck

Barry
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BodgerBaz wrote:
I see that we have a premium POI download for low bridges but it's a separate one for each height. If you downloaded a copy of those you'd just need to assign a distance and a sound. Might save a paint job?

You can select the "Combine subcategories into category file" option to ensure that you don't have a separate file for each height.
BodgerBaz
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cooooo . . . . so you can. I'm indebted to you.

Many thanks.

Barry

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: