Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - An introduction to how TomTom make maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

An introduction to how TomTom make maps
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom/TeleAtlas Digital Map Data
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Surfing_spider
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't mean to slag off train at all. I was just intrested about how to help it correct these small mistakes. And how with all that data gathering tech they still get it wrong. 90% of the time I can't fault it, and the other 10% it is only a small irritation with a bit of common sense it is obvious which way to go. I am looking forward to the map share article
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:14 pm    Post subject: The second article is now available... Reply with quote

We have just posted the second article in the series:

Part 2 MapShare Community input
This is the second in a series of articles that examines the intricacies of creating and maintaining digital maps by TomTom. This article looks at the TomTom MapShare community led added value to the base map.
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for a interesting article ...Look forward to the nest 1
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daggers wrote:
I can think of at least two examples off the top of my head where you get erroneous turn instructions which only involve "proper" roads that haven't changed for years, if not decades.

There's a bend in the A422 in the centre of Farthinghoe village (Northants), and also ...

I take it all back - Tomtom have now updated the road priorities in Farthinghoe, and map v895 no longer tells me to turn right/left. At last!
ronvking
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still not convinced about Mapshare. Ever since it came out I have submitted some changes that happened in my home area. Two places where roads were "sealed off" and traffic unable to access the main road due to bollards placed there and a case of two roads being confused name wise. One is Ingram Crescent West and the other Ingram Crescent East. The west one has a number of section named as the East. I have sumbitted this change on every map update I've had but still its wrong on map 895.

About time Tomtom got that act together. Missed once or twice is acceptable but several times a year is unforgiveable in my eyes.
navtrav
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This series on digital mapping is fascinating. Well done.

My question is, when other Sat Nav providers (thinking of Sygic's Android app here) say they use TomTom maps, are they getting all this info and updates as well?

Tim

Samsung Galaxy S4, Galaxy Tablet S, TomTom. Osmand+ and Sygic. Ex-TomTom Go 1000 Live, ex-TomTom Go 700, ex-TomTom truck, ex Navman/Ipaq
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be depending on what they pay for, wouldn't it? Still it's a great topic to generate 3 or 4 pages of unsubstantiated speculation about Confused
Stormtracker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: The second article is now available... Reply with quote

[quote="MikeB"]We have just posted the second article in the series:

Part 2 MapShare Community input.

Very interesting article on the MapShare.

I joined MapShare long ago and only download"TomTom Verified" corrections. But like the author states, I too have to repeat the corrections a few times with one area which I would say extremely important.

This would be M6 Northbound at Junction 11.

If you set your TT not to route through a Toll Road. TT will advise you to leave at Junction 11, go up the slip road, take 2nd exit, which actually brings you back onto the M6 to continue North.

I keep telling TT that there is no Toll at M6 Junction 11 Northbound and you do not need to exit the Motorway but there is nothing you can do on your TT to eleviate this and they do not update this section.

I travel this route at least 3 times a week for the past few months and whilst I know not to leave the Motorway, motorists who rarely travel the route may not know and think "what the..."

Whilst I appreciate the vast amount of data TT receive daily/weekly. I think it is important when it pertains to a Motorway.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't checked, but I understand they have corrected M6 junction 11 in the latest map which came out earlier this week, v895.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
bivotar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
When the next article on IQ Routes ?
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:12 pm    Post subject: How TomTom Makes Digital Maps Part 3: IQ Routes Reply with quote

Sorry for the delay to the next article, I wasnt feeling too well last week, It should have been published on Friday... Anyway better late than never:

Part 3 IQ Routes for improved routing
Having discovered how the basic maps are made and maintained we now turn to some of the more interesting innovations that TomTom have added to their maps. The third article in our series of How TomTom make digital maps looks at routing. In particular I am looking at the IQ Routes technology that TomTom introduced a few years ago in an attempt to ensure that users are provided with the best routes possible.
Fellwalker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Why has this informative topic turned into a Teleatlas/TomTom slagging off. At least Navteq have got away with it this time. We all know the 'problems' with the maps without going over the same old ground time and time again.

Probably because the article is gelling us how fantastic TomTom is at its routing, whereas if the road database is wrong, the calculations using it are matterless. Confused
Samsung Galaxy Note 9, Nexus 5, Galaxy tab S3. Also use OSMAnd+, Sygic Mobile Maps, and OS maps app. Also "Great Britain Topo Maps" and "Old Maps". Don't use speed camera database as sticking to the limit is safer.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The forth article in the series has just been released:

Part 4 HD Traffic real time traffic information
In the previous articles we have seen how the geometry of the map is created, then the attributes for each road segment have been added. With IQ Routes each road segment was assigned a 'real speed' based on historic average speeds in 5 minute intervals. Now with HD Traffic we can see how these IQ Route average speeds can be dynamically updated in near real time with actual current road speeds.
Nthkentman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: There is an add on..... Reply with quote

http://www.hgvsolutions.com/buy_procab.htm

Stormtracker wrote:
If TomTom go out-and-about in their "car derived van" doing some of the mapping, then surely they can create a section in the menu for vehicle types: Such as-

Are you driving a Car, Large Goods Vehicle etc. So it can route narrow or wide roads only.

Because I am sick and tired of approaching an "Unnamed Road", or "B" road slowing down and thinking, yes this is wide enough for me and another vehicle to pass without problems. To get half way down this road, to find that it narrows alot and that my Large Goods Vehicle is actually wider than the road and I am stuck facing an oncoming vehicle - obviously using a TomTom too.

and another thing - "Turn-a-round when possible". lmao, you try turning round a 7.5tonne flatbed truck on an urban road.

Sometimes, I just want to put my "TT820go live" under the front wheels and say Route This.

Excellent article by the way. However, if TomTom use all this technology, why are their maps still upto 1 year out of date?
LoekV
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike, thank you for these very interesting articles. Could you give an indication when the final article will be published?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom/TeleAtlas Digital Map Data All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: