Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - SatSync and File Conversions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

SatSync and File Conversions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:50 am    Post subject: SatSync and File Conversions Reply with quote

There have been a number of requests from site members wanting to know how to use SatSync including questions as to what it does.

The aim of this thread is for site members to post known solutions to getting Routes to and from the active10 using SatSync.

If you know of a way to get Routes to and from your PC based mapping application please add it to this thread so we can collate a comprehensive list of what works, also can you add how you actually do any conversion to get the data to the required gpx format.

Please use the normal forum sections for asking questions etc - this thread shall only contain known ways to get data to and from various mapping software packages for use with the active10.

The software (currently) only supports importing of data in the commonly used gpx format, however, not all PC based mapping packages support gpx.

Lets make a start showing how the SatSync software works:

First of all you need the SatSync software on the PC, at the time of writing 1,0,21 is/ was the current version, you can download and install this for free from SatMap_SatSync_1021.

With the software on the PC connect the active10 to a free USB port on the PC, SatSync should start automatically, if it doesn’t, start the program manually, you will be presented with a screen like this:

Bear in mind this is a clean install with a new map card inserted, if you have been using the device for a while you may well have considerably more items shown. On the left are items stored within the internal memory of the device, on the right are files stored on the memory card (if inserted). You have the option to store Routes in either location, BUT if you choose the internal memory option and upgrade the software on the device any routes will be lost during the upgrade process.

To put a gpx file on to the active10 using SatSync select “File/ Import” and point the file dialogue box to where the gpx file is located, press “Open”

You have the choice of storing the data to the internal memory or storage card (when inserted)

Once complete (which takes the blink of an eye) the software confirms the action is carried out

At this point you can either repeat the above for any additional Routes you want on the device, or simply re-start the active10 i.e. Power Off then back On for the new Route to be made available on the device.

All the Routes imported to the device will be shown in the two windows within SatSync, if you see a file in there with a gpx extension you have incorrectly carried out the above process. This is easier than you might think, if you use File/ Copy File” within SatSync it will do as requested and simply copy the file to the device:

If you have done this just highlight the gpx file and either use “File/ Copy file from active10” to save the file to your PC or use the delete button. At least you have to confirm the delete action but use this button with care, you don’t want to delete a full map off your SD card for example.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: GPS Babel method for conversion Reply with quote

To get the Route data from your PC mapping application to the SatSync software input format requires it to be saved as GPX format. Check the Help section with your mapping software to see if your application includes an option to export or save as GPX format, if it does the process should be easy.

If you find your application doesn’t support GPX or the type of GPX data it does export is not compatible with the SatSync software then consider the use of a file conversion utility.

GPS Babel is one such utility it is very versatile in respect to the number of different file formats it supports (see below). You can download a copy from GPS Babel I use the GPSBabelGUI.exe version on the PC, it is easier to use than the earlier DOS prompt version.

On the PC once you start GPS Babel you are presented with a user screen:

Simply select the file format you want to translate from and where the file is stored, choose GPX XML as the Output format and specify what the file should be called and where it should be stored. Tick the Routes check box then press “let’s go” which will convert your file. This application is particularly useful if you download routes/ walks that are in a specific format, you don’t need any digital mapping on the PC, just convert the file to the GPX XML format and put it on the active10 via SatSync.

The following formats are supported by this software:

? Character Separated Values
    Alan Map500 tracklogs (.trl)
    Alan Map500 waypoints and routes (.wpr)
    Cambridge/ Winpilot glider software
    CarteSurTable data file
    Cetus for Palm/ OS
    CoastalExplorer XML
    Comma separated values
    CompeGPS data files (.wpt/ .trk/ .rte)
    PoPilot Flight Planner for Palm/ OS
    cotoGPS for Palm/ OS
    Dell Axim Navigation System (gpb)
    DeLorme (.an1)
    DeLorme GPL
    DeLorme Street Atlas Plus
    Delorme Street Atlas Route
    DeLorme XMap HH Native (.WPT)
    DeLormeXMap/SAHH 2006 Native (.txt)
    DeLormeXMat HH Street Atlas USA (.WPT)
    EasyGPS binary format
    FAI/IGC Flight Recorder Data Format
    Fugawi
    G7ToWin data files (.g7t)
    Garmin 301 Custom position and heartrate
    Garmin Logbook XML
    Garmin MapSource (.gdb)
    Garmin MapSource (.mps)
    Garmin MapSource (.txt) (Tab delimited)
    Garmin PCX5
    Garmin POI database
    Garmin Points of interest (gpi)
    Geocaching.com (.loc)
    GeocachingDB for Palm/ OS
    Geogrid Viewerlogs (.log)
    GEOnet Names Server (GNS)
    GeoNiche (.pdb)
    Google Earth (Keyhole) Markup Language
    Google Maps XML
    GpilotS
    GPS TrackMaker
    GPSBabel arc filter file
    GPSDrive Format
    GPSDrive Format for Tracks
    GPSman
    GPSPilot Tracker for Palm/ OS
    Gpsutil
    GPXXML
    HikeTech
    Holux (gm-100) (.wpo)
    HAS Endeavour export File
    IGN Rando track files
    Kartex 5 Track File
    Kartex 5 Waypoint File
    Kompass (DAV) Track (.tlk)
    Kompass (DAV) Waypoints (.wp)
    KuDaTa PsiTrex text
    Lowrance USR
    Magellan Mapsend
    Magellan NAV Companion for Palm/ OS
    Magellan SD Files (for eXplorist)
    Magellan SD Files (for Meridian)
    Map&Guide “TourExchangeFormat” XML
    Map&Guide to Palm/ OS (.pdb)
    Mapopolis.com Mapconverter CSV
    MapTech Exchange Format
    Microsoft AutoRoute 2002 (pin/ route reader)
    Microsoft Streets and Trips (pin/ route reader)
    Microsoft Streets and Trips 2002 – 2006
    Motorrad Routenplaner (Map&Guide) (.bcr)
    MS PocketStreets 2002 pushpin
    National Geographic Topo (.tpg)
    National Geographic Topo 2x (.tpo)
    National Geographic Topo 3,x/4,x (.tpo)
    Navicache.com XML
    Navigon Mobile Navigator (.rte)
    Navitrak DNA marker format
    NetStrumbler Summary File (text)
    NMEA/GNIS Geographic Names File
    NMEA 0183 sentences
    OziExplorer
    PathAway Database for Palm/ OS
    Quovadis
    Raymarine Waypoint File (.rwf)
    See You Flight analysis data
    Sportsim track files (.ssz)
    Suunto Trek Manager (STM)
    Suunto Trek Manager (STM) Waypoint Plus
    Tab delimited fields
    TomTom Itineraries (.itn)
    TomTom POI file (.asc)
    TomTom POI file (.ov2)
    TopoMapPro Places File
    TrackLogs digital mapping (.trl)
    US Census Bureau Tiger Mapping
    Universal csv with structure in first line
    Vito Navigator II tracks
    Vito SmartMap tracks (.vlt)
    WiFiFoFum 2,0 for Pocket PC XML
    Wintec WBT-100/200 Binary File
    Wintec WBT-201/ G-Rays 2 Binary File
    Yahoo Geocode API data
lxm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject: GPSU Reply with quote

I have been using GPSU (download from www.gpsu.co.uk) for some time to convert other formats to *.GPX for importing to Satmap (which converts to *.MAP). It could hardly be easier.

So far as I can tell, GPSU can open pretty well any kind of data (including Memory Map *.mmo, AA Milemaster *.trp, Anquet *.aef, *.adf, *.arf, Garmin, Google Earth, Google Maps, and about 100 others).

Once open all you need to do is "Save As" [F12] then select format type "GPX interchange file", and your data will converted to a format which can be imported to Satmap (following the instructions in the first posting in this thread). The conversion process loses all comments and altitude data.

The one fly in the ointment is that unless you pay $60 (£30) for the "full version", the GPSU download limits the number of waypoints. I think the limit was 20 but I can't now be sure. Well worth the £30.

Alas, GPSU does not yet support *.MAP files, so you cannot open and edit your Satmap files (adding comments etc using a full keyboard would be a big improvement on the onscreen keyboard on the A10).

lxm
robertharvey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject: POI and Memory Map GPX Files Reply with quote

Does anyone know a way, or if Satmap are working on a solution to get POI's from Memory Map sync'd up with the Active 10?
J-K
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had an issue loading some of SatMap's .gpx files into GPSU where I end up with multiple routes coming from a central hub rather than one continuous one.

Apparently, according to GPSU's author, the answer is that the GPX file contains many route waypoints with identical names, and in between every unique ID waypoint there are 2 other waypoints called 'WP'. These are not unique IDs. E.G. the sequence is

SP--WP--WP--WP2--WP--WP--WP3 .... etc.

GPSU requires that all waypoint names are unique within a dataset
file so that they can be used to specify a route. Presently this gives a very odd route file in GPSU though it is when imported into Anquet Maps V6.

The author of GPSU says that there is a system for detecting this situation and adding suffixes to WP IDs so as to make them unique and will look into the implications of implementing this for GPX file import, but in the meantime, he asks, is it possible to get SatMap to produce unique Waypoint IDs or to suppress the spurious WP IDs?

I do not believe it is with the limited software provided so far but before replying to that effect, can this be done?

Thanks.
J-K
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPSU has now been updated to resolve the above waypoint issue. The updated version is 4.9j.

That's good service from the author of the program.
AlexPerry
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: Download Google directions to Satmap Reply with quote

Just thought that I would add this to this thread since I've found this very useful and it may be for others out there.

This does not really add anything new to earlier posts and just uses standard browser - gpsbabel and SatSync. But it is not totally obvious how to do this so thought that I would document it.

This is only really of any use for someone (like me) who does not have a Sat Nav device in their car and wants to use their Active 10 to find the way to the start of a walk/bike ride.

1) Get directions from google maps from your start point to destination
Go to www.google.co.uk - select maps - Get Directions
Enter start/destination (ie as post code or name of village etc)

2) Download the directions from google as a kml file (Google earth Keyhole markup language)
Select the link option and copy the Paste Link text (Right click- copy)
Paste this link in the address bar for your browser
Add "&output=kml" (without the speech marks) to the end of this address
Press return and your browser should offer to download the file
maps.kml - Select to save to disc (or use your download manager) to get a copy of this file in your download directory

3) Convert this downloaded maps.kml from kml to gpx using gpsbabel
Note by default this is a series of waypoints - I don't find waypoints too useful in the car (the default proximity of 32feet is way to close for mirror,signal,manoeuvre - apologies to anyone who was behind me when I tried this!) - in the filter section for gpsbabel select transform waypoints-routes

4) Download gpx file to satmap using Satsync

You now have a route (unnamed) which you can activate on your satmap for driving directions (or without the transform in step 3 a series of waypoints which will pop up the directions text when you are close.

Hope that someone else finds this useful

Alex Perry
rog62
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:38 am    Post subject: from Tracklogs to Satmap Reply with quote

Thought it would be useful to share the following experience of loading tracks from Tracklogs to Satmap:

I am using the latest version of Tracklogs 3.12.3 and the latest version of
SatSYNC 10.23 my Satmap is running v1.2.

The track that I have been trying to download has a number of waypoint descriptions on it in Tracklogs. I tried to save the track as a .gpx file on Tracklogs and then Import on Satsync. The transfer successfully creates a .map file on the Satmap. However (after switching the unit off/on) there is no route file visible on the route menu on the Satmap . The wayppoints do however show up as a new set of POI's.

Interestingly SatSYNC still shows the .map files on the Satmap. Deleting these files (using SatSYNC) does not delete the POI that were created - these can only be deleted directly on the Satmap itself. This does therefore seem to be a way of uploading Tracklog Waypoint data into Satmap POIs.

now to get the track to display....

I tried using GPSBabel in various configurations/filters to remove Waypoints and translate Tracks to routes etc...all to no avail.

If I edit the Tracklog track and remove all the waypoints and then save as a .gpx (just using Tracklogs functionality) and Import through Satsync the transfer is a success the .map is created and the route shows up on SatMap...the name is blank but this can easily be edited on SatMap.

So the message here is that if a Tracklog track has Waypoints associated with it you have to remove them before you can upload the route to Satmap...uploading with Waypoints will create POI on Satmap but you have to delete the .map file using SatSYNC to keep it clean.

Hope this is of use.....
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to let readers know that I have been trying to get the nice guys at GPSBabel to include conversions to and from the .map format.

The initial reaction was that it should not be too difficult and work was started but then it turned out to be a bit more difficult and other more pressing priorities have put it onto a back burner.

So if any of you would like to see GPSBabel include conversions to and from the .map format (for routes/tracks not the actual maps) then you may wish to register an interest with GPSBabel and push up the priority.
Satsync 1.525
Westlothian
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This site offers Free POIs that can be loaded to the Active10. Comma Separated Value .csv files with lists of POI can easily be converted to .gpx for importing to the Active10 by using this little piece of conversion software: http://www.masterclass.com/gpxtopoi/gpxtopoidownload.html
Borichar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little tip I have recently discovered when loading gpx files into the SatMap.

You may want to rename the route so it appears meaningful on the SatMaps route list. (Downloaded walks from Walkingworld show up as just a number)

Re-naming the gpx file just by rename on your PC won't cause the new title to show up on the SatMap.

You have to open the gpx file up in, say Notepad or any text editor and find the (name)******(/name) tag. Just amend the characters between the tags to your chosen title.

If those tags are not anywhere in the file, then the chances are that the route won't appear on the SaMap route screen, although it will show on SatSync. If that is the case then simply type (name)******(/name) anywhere in the gpx file betwenn (route) and (/route) tags.
Norm-de-Plume
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Satsync ignores the names of tracks for my files, and the tags are correct. It just sets the track names based on the name of the file, adding -1, -2 etc. after the filename for the track name. It may be because the converter doesn't like multiple tracks in one file, which is unfortunate for me because one of my GPX files has over 1000 tracks in it.

I found the simplest option was to just use the gpx file splitter at gpsvisualizer (http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/forerunner/) which worked beautifully.

Edit: It turns out that this is configurable under the Satsync settings. I've just successfully imported a single file with 2000 tracks in it and the names now look fine. It's a very strange default setting - if the information is in there, why would you want to ignore it and use the filename?
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All, a few years since the last entry, please can you confirm that nothing has changed and that I have got my facts straight before I start whinging with SatMap Customer Services.

In an ideal world I would like to plot a route on a web-site such as bikeroutetoaster.com and export it as a .gpx/.kml/.csv file. Remove the SD map card from my SatMap, plug it into the PC, transfer the file, pop the SD card back into the SatMAp and go for an explore.

What could be simpler?

Does the SatMap still not recognise these file types? and everything must pass through SatMap via USB cable to SatSync to convert the file into .map format? despite the SatMap being able to export a route as a raw.gpx file.

My SatMap has v1.5 platform 3. I understand that I can purchase an update to this system to v1.5 platform 29(?), which I would gladly do if I thought that it would provide a solution to this problem, but I don't think that it does.

So, In summary

1) Does SatMap still not recognise a route unless it is a .map file?
2) If not, is anybody aware of a file converter (preferably on-line, web based) other than SatSync to convert regular GPS files into .map format? I have tried the usual suspects such as GpsBabel and GpsVisualizer, but no joy.
3) Has anyone raised/suggested this with SatMap before? and what reply can I expect?

Many thanks, Ali.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
Gibbo10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi AliOnHols

To answer your question, gpx / kml / csv files need to converted by satsync into .map formats, nothing has changed.

What's the issue with using satsync to do the conversion, why are you looking for another convertor?

Why go to the bother of removing the sd card, just plug it in with the USB cable to the PC, fire up satsync and transfer the files - what could be easier, is this not possible on your version then?

I've never found a convertor for .map format as I think it is unique to satmap.
My Blog Geocache Trails
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for your reply Gibbo10.

Firstly may I say that I'm in a really bad place with my SatMap at the moment, everything it does (or doesn't) is winding me up while my Android SmartPhone is excelling in comparison. I'm hoping that it's a passing phase as I really want to get to love my SatMap, hence my original question to confirm that I have got my facts right before I contact SatMap with my wish list.

I know it may sound like something of nothing but having to use SatSync is, to me, an annoyance. The SatMap clearly understands .gpx files as it can export them. Having to boot the SatMap, connect it by USB cable, fire up SatSync perform the file conversion and transfer it is just a parlarva. If the SatMAp can convert .map to .gpx on-board why, apart from SatMap , can't it follow a .gpx trail or convert it to a .map file on-board?

As I mentioned earlier, I think that the ability to transfer a .gpx/.kml/.csv etc. file directly on to the SD card and then go walking would be such an improvement over the current situation especially as the vast majority of web-based route planers export routes in these formats.

Couple that with the fact that I do not use Windows or Mac so having to use SatSync just to go for a walk is a real chore; it's all of the above and a reboot out of Linux and into Windows. I don't expect SatMap to make a Linux version of SatSync for 'Lil-Ol-Me and my kind but an On-Line converter would be a boon. I don't really mind if it's provided by SatMap themselves or they assist the likes of GpsBabel or GpsVisualizer to develop their file converters, just so long as one exists, anywhere.

And don't get me started on Xpedition, I never use Xpedition since I pulled all my hair out once whilst trying to use it.

Please don't get me wrong, I do understand what a fantastic bit of kit the SatMap is but by side-lining SatSync, I think it could be a whole lot better.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: