Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Akenori DriveCam trip video recorder reviewed
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Akenori DriveCam trip video recorder reviewed
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Akenori DriveCam trip video recorder reviewed Reply with quote

The Akenori DriveCam is a small device that records HD video as you drive in your car. It incorporates a GPS which is used to embed the time, location and speed of the vehicle into the video. With many incidents of bad driving, accidents and 'dodgy' insurance claims this device could both reduce your insurance premiums and also be used as evidence to attribute blame if you are unfortunate enough to have an accident. The Akenori DriveCam is priced at £269.95 and is available from Exeros Technologies www.exeros-technologies.com

The Akenori DriveCam is just over 2 inches wide and tall and just a tad more deep. The camera points out towards the rear whilst the front sports a 2.4" display. The whole assembly hangs off a mounting bracket that is glued to your windscreen with very strong double sided tape. The device does not have an internal battery for recording, but then it doesn't need one, simply wire up the the USB power lead to your cigar lighter outlet and the DriveCam will switch on with the ignition. This feature will only work for accessory power sockets that are activated by the car ignition.

Click here to read the full review.
email icon

mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Akenori DriveCam trip video recorder reviewed Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:
As you are driving along the screen of the DriveCam can be showing either the image being recorded, your current speed, the time, or nothing. By default it displays the image being recorded.

Is this actually legal in the UK as the screen is within the drivers field of vision, I appreciate you can turn the screen to a blank display but having the default view showing the road ahead could invite the Police to have a more than healthy interest in your car when behind you - Mike
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this not true of other similar devices?
carl_w
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's be honest, if you had slotted in behind the Audi as you should have when you realized it was going faster than you even though you were in the overtaking lane, the Astra would never have been able to undertake.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carl_w wrote:
Let's be honest, if you had slotted in behind the Audi as you should have when you realized it was going faster than you even though you were in the overtaking lane, the Astra would never have been able to undertake.

Hmm I was not in the overtaking lane, but in the correct place to join the carriageway travelling at the correct speed limit.
carl_w
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would disagree -- if you were not travelling faster than the Audi then why not use the left lane?

However, this highlights the problem I have with these sorts of devices. I can imagine it won't be long before they're mandated by insurance companies (or effectively mandated by making your insurance ludicrously expensive unless you have one). And TBH whilst I'm not the world's worst driver I don't drive like a saint all the time.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

carl_w wrote:
... if you were not travelling faster than the Audi then why not use the left lane?
Presumably because there was a car in the left hand lane that would preclude such a move. Wink

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
carl_w
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
Presumably because there was a car in the left hand lane that would preclude such a move. Wink
A fact which is not recorded on the camera, limiting its usefulness IMHO.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
Quote:
Presumably because there was a car in the left hand lane that would preclude such a move.

Not at the traffic lights, although nobody in his lane but moved into overtaking lane and subsequently car pulled up at nearside lane after.
johnnym100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:58 am    Post subject: So how does it compare to a RoadHawk? Reply with quote

Mike

Thanks for the review and the professional video clip, and I am keen to stay away from any driving etiquette discussions.

I do have some questions:

How does it compare with a RoadHawk? (I have an RH-1 but even comparing with the DC-whatever would be useful). Putting the Video screen & speed camera warnings aside as those are not features on the RoadHawk.
How does the video quality compare? I assume much better quality on this device as my RoadHawk can only make out a number plate from about 15 feet away. Any info on how Low light performance compares?

As the camera hangs down from the mount (or mirror I think from the video) does it obscure windscreen view to the nearside? Is this legal e.g. The dangling air fresheners, trinkets, furry dice etc are MOT failures.

As a pocketGPSworld subscriber, can your speed camera database be installed on it?

John.
Philhen
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:00 am    Post subject: The In-Car Camera Reply with quote

On a completely different tack, I have just finished working as an accident investigator (over 12 years) and whilst a large number of accidents happen at the front of the car, there are also a large number that occur on either side and at the rear. You cannot rely on the fact that it will happen in front of you, it just doesn't work that way. Rear end shunts are all too common! Another area of incident is where someone pulls out onto an apparently clear road, and before you know it, there is a motorcycle (or a car) travelling at high speed which ploughs into the side of your vehicle, usually with distastrous consequences and not unusually fatal. All motorcyclists claim that they were travelling under the local speed limit at the time of the accident!
My point in all this is that an in-car camera is not worth spending money on unless it can see all round your vehicle - it is then, and only then, that you are protected from all the spurious claims from 3rd parties and their legal representatives!
Philhen.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: The In-Car Camera Reply with quote

Philhen wrote:
...a large number of accidents happen at the front of the car...

...an in-car camera is not worth spending money on unless it can see all round your vehicle - it is then, and only then, that you are protected from all the spurious claims from 3rd parties and their legal representatives!

But if a large number happen in front of the car then a device such as this would be useful in a large number of cases. It's also useful from a witness point of view. If you're following a vehicle and someone crashes into the side of it you can offer the camera recording as evidence of what happened instead of just relying on eyewitness accounts.

MaFt
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if it just prooves you weren't speeding, you didn't suddenly slam on the brakes or that YOU weren't the one that jumped a red light a forward facing camera can still prove a lot. Not worthless.
TonyIshUk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roadhawk have told me they are expecting a HD camera in the near future, Not sure if it will replace the DC 1 or addition to stock. No price quoted yet.

Rgds
BunnyBallerina
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you able to YouTube the actual output of the camera so we can assess its quality - eg how far away you could read a number plate etc

BB

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: