Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Poi Loader and Custom POIs Driving me round the bend!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Poi Loader and Custom POIs Driving me round the bend!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frglee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:39 pm    Post subject: Poi Loader and Custom POIs Driving me round the bend! Reply with quote

Hello All,

Has *anyone* successfully managed to install custom POIs onto a Garmin device using PoiLoader?

I've just bought a Nuvi 1390LMT and have spent hours trying with no luck!

I've searched the Internet for solutions and tried them all including:

installing direct to the device.
installing to the memory card while it's in the device.
installing to the memory card while plugged into the computer then putting the card into the device.
Transferring from the memory card to the Garmin's internal memory.

I've tried PoiLoader 2.7.1 (the latest version) and 2.6.1

I've followed the instructions on this forum which mentions a bug in PoiLoader but all to no avail.

It's just a simple eight location poi and it does appear on both the memory card and the device as a gpi file in Windows Explorer but when I go to Extras/Custom POIs on the 1390LMT there's nothing showing up.

If anyone can offer a solution (other than going back to my TomTom One!)I'd be extremely grateful.

Regards, Lee.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only POI's I load are the cameras from here.

I've never had any issues using POILoader 2.6.1 to load the cameras directly onto the device (2200).

The first check I would do is to see whether the GPI file has been loaded onto the device. Perform a Windows search on the device with *.GPI as the term. It should reveal the .GPI file with the filename you selected via POILoader.

If it's not on there then that's the issue, if it is on there then you have missed a setting on the device to enable it.

Which is it ?
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
frglee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You for your quick reply

DOH!! I've spent two days doing it right without realising it Embarassed

When the "Extras" icon is pressed, a screen comes up with "Custom POIs" at the top. I assumed the POIs would be listed below that but no! - the "Custom POIs" wording has to be pressed then lo and behold! all my POIs appear Very Happy

Than you for saying that you had no trouble in installing the speed cameras otherwise I would have gone on assuming it was PoiLoader that was at fault.

Best Wishes, Lee.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
bradders2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just upgraded from a nuvi 760T to a nuvi 2595LMT. Having read the installation guide for custom POIs for latest Garmins, I expected a problem loading the speed cameras. The guide states that the custom POIs are stored in "Extras" a category that did not appear to exist in a 2595. I found that the extras are actually stored in "Other Categories" under the Categories button.
The 2595 appeared in My Computer as an entry, but without a drive letter. The POI Loader did not recognise it. Having read some more, I realised that I needed to update the POI Loader to the latest version. 2.7.1. This I did and bingo! the new nuvi was recognised. Very Happy I then installed the latest camera database, which loaded as advertised. On disconnecting the nuvi, it re-booted; I then rechecked the Categories, "Other Categories" selection, which now had Custom POIs as an entry. On selecting them, all the cameras appeared after a short delay. Now all I have to do is to road test them.Question

It has taken me several hours to get to this point, so I thought it was worth airing what I have had to do, in the hope it might save others all the bother. Exclamation

Garmin nuvi 2595LMT
Garmin nuvi 760T
Memory Map Adventurer 2800

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: