Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Reducing max speed to 60mph yields a 10% fuel saving
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Reducing max speed to 60mph yields a 10% fuel saving

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:54 am    Post subject: Reducing max speed to 60mph yields a 10% fuel saving Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.com
DriveGain is an iPhone app which provides audible and visual feedback on your driving style to help you save fuel.

Using GPS and acceleromter data the app scores your driving out of 100 and rates you on your driving smoothness and braking. The basic core functionality is free but you can unlock additional features for a small payment.

I've been using the app for a few weeks now and it's a useful driving aid. The audio feedback means you needn't be distracted by the display and it provides useful guidance and reminders on ways to improve your fuel consumption, planning ahead so you aren't braking at the last minute, using the optimal gear for your speed, avoiding unnecessary acceleration etc.

DriveGain claim you could save up to £170 a year in reduced fuel consumption by following the advice. The app also shows you how just backing off the accelerator a little can make a big difference. Reducing your maximum speed from 70 to 60mph gives you a 10% reduction in fuel usage and only lengthens your journey by an average 2mins.

Source: DriveGain

email icon

Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and Damon Hill says in today's Telegraph that he sees so much rubbish driving, the speed limit should be reduced to a maximum of 55mph.

Edit: Telegraph pinched this from the Radio Times.
Kia In-dash Tomtom

Last edited by Guivre46 on Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely correct.

I have been doing the same daily commute for years. For the last few months though I have dropped my speed down to 56 - 60 mph in with the trucks. I'm finding it so much more relaxing than constantly watching the mirrors when lane changing on the M25.

My weekly mpg has risen from 38 to 43 mpg.

My journey time has only risen by a few minutes each way for my 20 mile journey.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Jaz666
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:
Absolutely correct.

I have been doing the same daily commute for years. For the last few months though I have dropped my speed down to 56 - 60 mph in with the trucks. I'm finding it so much more relaxing than constantly watching the mirrors when lane changing on the M25.

My journey time has only risen by a few minutes each way for my 20 mile journey.

I'm the same, once you get over the feeling that you are "holding people up" you find journeys much more stress free. I just have to watch my blindspots when passing entry ramps.

In my Diesel the 22 miles to work at 70mph guzzles 45 to 50mpg.
Cruising at 56mph takes 2 minutes longer, but sees my mpg rise to 60 to 65.
Multiply that twice a day, 235 days a year, and it saves me hundreds.
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaz666 wrote:
Kremmen wrote:
Absolutely correct.

I'm the same, once you get over the feeling that you are "holding people up" you find journeys much more stress free. I just have to watch my blindspots when passing entry ramps.

In my Diesel the 22 miles to work at 70mph guzzles 45 to 50mpg.
Cruising at 56mph takes 2 minutes longer, but sees my mpg rise to 60 to 65.
Multiply that twice a day, 235 days a year, and it saves me hundreds.

Same here too, I spent years with a heavy right foot in the outside lane of the motorway chasing my self rushing to meetings. Using a similar system TomTom Optidive I've discovered by dropping my speed my fuel has gone from average 32-36 to 48 -52 mpg in a 3.0 Diesel and same again only adding a few minutes to journey times. This looks a great app I'm downloading it now
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Reducing max speed to 60mph yields a 10% fuel saving Reply with quote

News Team wrote:
. Reducing your maximum speed from 70 to 60mph gives you a 10% reduction in fuel usage and only lengthens your journey by an average 2mins.

Selling your car, and going by bus saves even more money.

If people have to drive slow to save money they should not own a motor vehicle.

There is nothing worse than getting stuck behind slow drivers in their little 1.0 litre engine cars.

Do we really need an app to tell us what speed to drive at?
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Reducing max speed to 60mph yields a 10% fuel saving Reply with quote

technik wrote:
......If people have to drive slow to save money they should not own a motor vehicle......

Shocked

Thought that I may have logged on to the Jeremy Clarkson forum for a moment!
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Reducing max speed to 60mph yields a 10% fuel saving Reply with quote

technik wrote:
Selling your car, and going by bus saves even more money.

I disagree. It costs me £2.80 on a bus for the 4 miles into town. Then the same again to come back. Plus my wife and 2 kids (half fare) that ends up £16.80 for a return trip into town.

If I drive then I've got probably £1 max for petrol. 50p for a days worth of car tax (£90 for 6 months) and about £1.40 for a days worth of insurance (£500 per year).

So, really, is it cheaper to get a bus? And that's just for a basic trip.

If I want to go to Clayton (the next village, about 2 miles away) it takes 5 minutes to drive it. On the bus I would need to get a bus into town (see above) and then a bus back out to Clayton. They're impractical for local trips.

MaFt
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and when I went to Mike B's earlier in the year it took me 4 hours by car. Train would have taken 12 hours and cost more. The bus would have been impossible.

MaFt
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And dispite them being 'slow' drivers, they'll get there only a few minutes later than you and without all the stress.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There is nothing worse than getting stuck behind slow drivers in their little 1.0 litre engine cars.

But just think of the money they are saving you with your improved fuel consumption. Razz
johnnym100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: 60 or 70 or just looking ahead... Reply with quote

I have tried various styles of driving.

Driving at 60 rather than 70 does improve economy but not as much as looking ahead and anticipating.

Like most people I have my moments of heavy right footedness but taking the foot off the accelerator to cruise up to a roundabout or junction rather than the racing driver "foot on a pedal all the time"; whether accelerator or brake, is the game changer. Similarly, lifting off the accelerator as soon as the car in front starts to slow down or brakes has similar benefits.

As for Damon's comment of poor driving; no-one is perfect (nor am I) but the number of people who seem to drive believing that:
A. The motorway middle lane is the one to be in, even if the left hand lane is empty.
B. Indicators mean "make space, I'm barging in"
C. If you can't read the small print on the number plate of the car in front listing where the car was bought, then there is enough room to get another car in between.

....seems to be increasing, then in M3-M4-M25 territory, I have to agree with him.

John.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M3 - M4 - M25 is my neck of the woods as well.

I can't agree with the indicators mean I'm barging in, I tend to find they just barge in anyway Wink

Anyone who pulls in front of me without indicating gets a lengthy full beam flash to indicate I'm there as they seem to have not seen me.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happens all the time the amount of people that think they have right Of way when joining a motorway dOnt seam to realise that 44tonnes will flatten the car

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: