Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Off Topic Forum?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Off Topic Forum?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Guestbook and Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AndyCr15
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 7:13 pm    Post subject: Off Topic Forum? Reply with quote

I just wondered if there was any chance of an Off Topic forum? Give everyone the chance to discuss other matters, other gadgets etc Smile

www.lanarchy.co.uk for LAN gaming near London
delboy0754
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Idea Andy,

It could be called "Freedom Forum" knowing you won't get a posting locked. As happens in another forum i visit, just for telling the truth.

I give my vote.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A great idea, I'll speak with the team and see if we can get this added Smile
delboy0754
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
A great idea, I'll speak with the team and see if we can get this added Smile

It's a Pity then you didn't get this up and running, because

Dave Closed a message thread that got off topic.

See this.

posted by DAVE,

Thanks to everyone who have PM'd and sent emails in regarding this message thread, I can only apologise on behalf of the selfless few that have ruined this topic by discussing totally off-topic information.

These forums are for discussing GPS related information, not Easy Jet, Qantas or any other airline for that matter!

This thread has now been closed and will be re-opened when TomTom release the latest version of the software. Meanwhile anyone wanting to see it first hand can join us at the Stratford Manor Hotel this Saturday (4th Sept 2004) for a glimpse of what's to come as we still have official clarification from TomTom Management to display the latest version!

Again, I can only apologise for the few that have spoiled this topic. If you are subscribed to this thread you will receive an email when we re-open this thread and post about TomTom GO's latest version.

TOPIC CLOSED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE

This is why an OFF Topic Forum was requested.

We ask a simple question, about any more news of "Confirmation" about new software release, then another poster come on about Transportation.

CLOSING a TOPIC is CHILDISH. This is moderation going to far.

Give us an OFF Topic forum, where it wouldn't matter.

Blimey, if people can't take critisism, only praise, it's a bad do.

Or is the New Sotware release for the TOMTOM Go a BAD subject ?
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Closing a topic is a bit extreme.

Threads going off-topic are frustrating and cause threads to become unnecessarily long and cluttered so it does need to be stopped. I think it much better to inform the posters to refrain from such postings then delete the offending posts but keep the thread open! If it continues then get more severe.

I'm sure persistent offenders can be dealt with without penalising everyone else and locking threads!
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delboy0754 wrote:

We ask a simple question, about any more news of "Confirmation" about new software release, then another poster come on about Transportation.

First, closing a topic isn't childish.

Second, the thread started into an off topic talk about Easy Jet and where where people were flying from. How does that link in with "Confirmation about new software release" ?

Third, if everyone who was talking about Easy Jet and other airlines are going to talk about anything other than the topic at hand then it's off-topic.

Fourth, when you start receiving hundreds of complaints from fair minded readers of this great website complaining that you and others are forcing them to keep receiving emails, then it DOES BECOME A PROBLEM. Sure they can unsubscribe, but they don't want to, they have subscribed because they want to know about the latest information regarding the software release, not you and flying!

Closing the thread was the only way to stop you and everyone else ranting on about Easy Jet. I'm sorry, if you don't like it, but that's life! We don't run these forums to discuss about Easy Jet business. These forums are for GPS discussion only.

We have been discussing over the past few weeks about setting up an Off Topic forum it became a decision over all by everyone who voted not to have it created. We may over rule this and still set one up over the next few days, but if you want to talk to about Easy Jet, I strongly suggest you find a site that discusses Easy Jet, or perhaps send an email to Easy Jet and ask them to setup their own website with a forum attached! Geez for christ sake! This isn't just aimed at you, it's aimed at everyone who was continuing the subject.

delboy0754 wrote:

Quite the contrary, we have no problem with TOMTOM Go or POI's as being a subject. We have all along been given permission to announce it on our website from Directors in TomTom, we have been given permission to show it at the Stratford meetup, and we have now been given permission to release the article detailing full screenshots today. We don't see a problem here! Never have done.

What we have had a problem with is off topic posts and people who are outwardly attacking other members of the forum!

We have always been factual with the truth! and will continue to do so.

If you have any further complaints on this subject, you know my email address!
delboy0754
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
delboy0754 wrote:

First, closing a topic isn't childish.

Second, the thread started into an off topic talk about Easy Jet and where where people were flying from. How does that link in with "Confirmation about new software release" ?

Third, if everyone who was talking about Easy Jet and other airlines are going to talk about anything other than the topic at hand then it's off-topic.

Fourth, when you start receiving hundreds of complaints from fair minded readers of this great website complaining that you and others are forcing them to keep receiving emails, then it DOES BECOME A PROBLEM. Sure they can unsubscribe, but they don't want to, they have subscribed because they want to know about the latest information regarding the software release, not you and flying!

Closing the thread was the only way to stop you and everyone else ranting on about Easy Jet. I'm sorry, if you don't like it, but that's life! We don't run these forums to discuss about Easy Jet business. These forums are for GPS discussion only.

We have been discussing over the past few weeks about setting up an Off Topic forum it became a decision over all by everyone who voted not to have it created. We may over rule this and still set one up over the next few days, but if you want to talk to about Easy Jet, I strongly suggest you find a site that discusses Easy Jet, or perhaps send an email to Easy Jet and ask them to setup their own website with a forum attached! Geez for christ sake! This isn't just aimed at you, it's aimed at everyone who was continuing the subject.

delboy0754 wrote:

Quite the contrary, we have no problem with TOMTOM Go or POI's as being a subject. We have all along been given permission to announce it on our website from Directors in TomTom, we have been given permission to show it at the Stratford meetup, and we have now been given permission to release the article detailing full screenshots today. We don't see a problem here! Never have done.

What we have had a problem with is off topic posts and people who are outwardly attacking other members of the forum!

We have always been factual with the truth! and will continue to do so.

If you have any further complaints on this subject, you know my email address!

If you happened to read the question put, I was just wondering why TomTom haven't even mentioned it. letting customers know what changes are on it, and what bugs have been fixed, etc.

is was another member who went on and on about his transportation.

And i wasn't ranting on about easyjet, in fact i mentioned it ONCE in reply to the other members rantings.

As for the off topic forum,, who voted,, i didn't.

Back to the original question, a new poster had asked for info on the new software release, and that nobody knew anything, and it had gone quiet.

Now MikeB has provided the answer to a simple question, it was ALL that was needed.

What complaints, i didn't say i had complaints. Anything a say ,i say it the open.
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I felt the need to post again because I too get annoyed with off-topic posts and also duplicate posting but not to the point of complaining. Maybe I should, but it sounds like you get enough of them already.

I dont wish to promote or fuel what could turn into a heated debate but everyone is guilty of off-topic posting occasionally.
For instance, I am following the GPS meet thread and I dont really want to see posts about 'John Smiths' and 'getting drunk'!

I'm not condoning the 'Easy Jet' posts, nor am I complaining about getting drunk. What I am suggesting is an alternative to locking down a thread because of the actions of a minority of members. I'm sure the locking was done in the heat of the moment and wonder if the 100's of complainants expected or wished for the thread to be locked?

Inform the posters of their misdemeanor and delete their off-topic posts. I am sure the members responsible would then stop. If they continued then there is cause to take it further by whatever means the team deem appropriate.

I also believe there is no need for an off-topic forum. After all, the forums are about GPS. If people want a general chat i'm sure there are many other mediums to do it through.
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
delboy0754
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

icsys wrote:
I felt the need to post again because I too get annoyed with off-topic posts .

I see it's OK for the Moderators to go off-topic, ranting on about Booze, what has THAT got to do with GPS.

Dave wrote:

I did wonder if you had sunk too many John Smith's. I downed a bottle of red the other night, felt totally okay until the following morning where I started feeling a little drunk! Not good! Luckily I didn't have to drive anywhere and it was the weekend too!

Back to JS and Guinness!

Taken from this thread,
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=10846&start=45

I think they should practice what they preach! Evil or Very Mad
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really dont mind being quoted but you could at least quote the full sentence!
Quote:
I felt the need to post again because I too get annoyed with off-topic posts and also duplicate posting but not to the point of complaining.

TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
AndyCr15
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote:

Surely they have subscribed to that thread because they want to know the latest posting in that particular thread. It is far from forcing them to receive hundreds of e-mails (one per visit to the forum is hardly a strain on their inbox...)

Its funny. This is the first forum I've used that doesn't want to encourage people to post on it (by restricting the topic). Show me another forum without an offtopic and I'll show you 10 more with one...

Anyway...never mind. I don't disagree this forum is good for GPS info. Your decision is to keep it restricted to that, so be it.

www.lanarchy.co.uk for LAN gaming near London

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Guestbook and Feedback All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: