Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - iPhone with satnav a good substitute for a proper satnav?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

iPhone with satnav a good substitute for a proper satnav?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mini7racer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: iPhone with satnav a good substitute for a proper satnav? Reply with quote

I have a garmin 1390t at the moment, but I am considering if to upgrade or update or use my phone?

The maps on my 1390 are now about 18month out of date, and I am tempted by garmins offer on lifetime updates, but it does seem to have a habit of freezing every so often... So I am also tempted to just get a new garmin which comes with the traffic and free life time maps (I find the traffic on mine quite useful as I do travel a bit some months for my job)

Or do I use my iPhone? As I have just downloaded freenav and it seems to be ok on first look, but I have read that the maps can be abut lacking in areas.

If I do go for my phone option i would need one where the maps are stored on the phone as it is a works contract so if I run up a big data charge I'll be in trouble. Also I may well miss the traffic option but I guess I'd get used to it unless there is a app out there that can give me traffic?

So what do the experts recommend?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Garmin iPhone app is quite good as is the offering from TomTom, so far to date map updates have been free which is a major plus point but how long this will continue for is anyones guess, in the current ecconomic climate I can't see this carrying on for too much longer.

Both the apps I mentioned above run from the device and don't rely upon a data connection unless you decide to subscribe to their traffic warning systems.

As for using the iPhone in a car you need to ensure it's secure in a decent powered holder otherwise the battery will go flat in a very short time, also the volume is somewhat lacking, I bluetooth the audio from my iPhone through the car system which is more than loud enough - Mike
mini7racer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just used it to get to a customers, seemed ok but abit slow to recalculate when I didn't go the route it wanted, also like you said the voice is pants! I'm picking up a xcarlink iPod adaptor to day to link the iPhone to my radio which will add power too the iPhone too and Bluetooth when I get the add on module, so after that I'll try and get the directions via the radio.

Still not sure if this is the route I want to go, and the 70 quid for the garmin Europe is a bit steep to just have a look..
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use my iPhone exclusively now, it does all that my satnav can do and more and my preferred app, TomTom runs faster on my iPhone than it does on a dedicated TomTom satnav.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For most navigation I tend to use Navigon on my iPhone 4 in co-operation with the PGPSW Mobile POI site and CamerAlert. As Darren says the interface and overall speed of the apps are far better than virtually all the dedicated PNDs available on the market.

However for long journeys I still use a dedicated SatNav (TomTom VIA Live) although I'm not sure why - maybe out of habit really. I'm off to Cornwall next month so I might use my iPhone as number 1 (preferred as it means I can a) use CamerAlert without having to mess about installing camera data and b) use it to stream my music from Google Play too). I'll still take the TomTom though as a 'just in case' item :D

MaFt
mini7racer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how do you find the voume? is yours coming through the car radio? I have been playing with mine again tonight, and now I have my ipod kit in and working, which helpfully when playing music via the iphone and using the satnav on the iphone turns down the music and plays the directions via the car speakers... but it only does this if I ma listening to my music via the iphone, if I have the radio on it does nothing.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a Bluetooth connection to my car via its iO-Play Bluetooth kit I get the nav instructions interupting the radio or any other audio source the head unit is using, I can also stream music from the iPhone at the same time as getting the nav instructions and Speed Camera warnings from the iPhone via the bluetooth connection - I guess it depends upon your BT connection and what it offers in way of connection - Mike
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Havent used a dedicated sat nav for at least 2 or 3 years as my own full time nav currently I'm on iPhone using copilot truck it can be running for up to 15 hours a day and it's totally reliable

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
mini7racer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it looks like the iphone is the way to go then, I just need to find a good hands free kit that will allow the satnav directions to come through the car speakers (the xlink ipod kit i have got luckly for a very cheap price has the option of a bluetooth unit for handsfree calling, but abit of digging on the net shows it only actually works when I am listening to the music on my iphone.. if I have the radio on it wont mute it etc.. so its pretty useless as I listen to the radio quite a bit too)

cheers guys, now off to see what hands free kits will work with nav
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
With a Bluetooth connection to my car via its iO-Play Bluetooth kit I get the nav instructions interupting the radio or any other audio source the head unit is using

I'm intrigued as to how that actually works, Mike.
All I can think of is that your radio needs to have a pre-amp out and power amp in connection loop on the back that the iO-Play can access, so it can inject it's own audio along with (or instead of) the radio sound.

Is that how it does it?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or it just imitates hands-free? Most head units will mute if they support a hands-free input?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
I'm intrigued as to how that actually works, Mike.

You can read up on the iO-Play by clicking Here where I detailed installing it to the Ovlov, since fitting it to my car I have added one the wifes Ovlov and a few mates cars, I seem to remember MikeB had the same units fitted to his car??

It has it's own amp and Bluetooth receiver, the cars headunit is switched out of circuit when the A2DP OR HFP connection is active and it connects it's own amp output to the cars speakers, when the BT connection goes quiet the unit switches the headunit back to the car speakers. If I use the phone for HFP (Handsfree connection) I can use the A2DP (Stereo Audio connection) from the TomTom and the device still handles everything as it should do with the phone calls taking preference over anything else, the ability to handle two devices via Bluetooth simultaniously was the really clever trick this accessory added to my car.

Getting the iO-Play to work with a Volvo system involving a fitted power amplifier is rather difficult but it can be done using an accessory lead known as a SOT-1000 and some home made leads converting the 6 pin DIN plug to RCA then RCA back to 6 Pin DIN Socket with the amp remote bridged between the DIN plug and socket, a real mess to sort out but I have installed this to at least one car that is working fine - Mike
mini7racer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen a video of someone using tomtom with the ioplay and it's looks to be nearly spot on, the only annoyance is the fact the radio cuts and doesn't just fade down then back up.

The unit as I am using now just fades the song down tells me the direction then fades back up again, but like I have said this only works when playing music via the lead, if the radios on the satnav says nothing unless I unplug it,

It would be brill if I could find the perfect solution to this,
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't seem to find iOPlay for sale at the moment, is it being replaced with a new model?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

£70 for a new one from the "bay" but I don't think they are too easy to find these days, used to be stocked by Halfords etc but I guess it's only end of line clearances that are available these days from a few outlets - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: