Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 740 Replacement advice please. Very urgent
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

740 Replacement advice please. Very urgent

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emjaiuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: 740 Replacement advice please. Very urgent Reply with quote

Hi all. My Go 740 has stopped working ( I'm posting a query on this in another thread). I am in need of a replacement very urgently whilst I try to get the 740 fixed and would like some advice as to what to buy.

My requirements are Traffic, Full European mapping, ability to load custom poi's and a screen which id no worse than the 740's in sunlight. Ideally I would have bought a refurbished 750/950, but there don't seem to be any around at the moment. Would a 550 with european maps be as good as a 750?

Also as a stop gap for today, which iPhone navigation app, including europe is recomended. I would prefer not to pay for the TT version if possible since I would only be using the phone app temporarily.

Malcolm
justbrowsing
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 740 Replacement advice please. Very urgent Reply with quote

emjaiuk wrote:
Hi all. My Go 740 has stopped working ( I'm posting a query on this in another thread). I am in need of a replacement very urgently whilst I try to get the 740 fixed and would like some advice as to what to buy.

My requirements are Traffic, Full European mapping, ability to load custom poi's and a screen which id no worse than the 740's in sunlight. Ideally I would have bought a refurbished 750/950, but there don't seem to be any around at the moment. Would a 550 with european maps be as good as a 750?

Also as a stop gap for today, which iPhone navigation app, including europe is recomended. I would prefer not to pay for the TT version if possible since I would only be using the phone app temporarily.

Malcolm

Any 540/550 with additional Euro map would be fine (and would incl UK in Euro map too) or another 740?
emjaiuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I could find another 740 I'd snap it up! Laughing
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

540, 740, 550 & 750 will all need a MicroSD memory card for the maps to be stored on, make sure you get a card of at least 4GB otherwise you will end up with the stupid zonal European maps rather than the single map coverage in one data set.

The 940 or 950 have 4GB internal storage so you could just use the built in memory but due to the age of these devices the built in memory won't have too long left on the planet forcing users to switch to MicroSD cards.

If you are going to use your iPhone for navigation make sure your car has a powered holder for the car as any Nav app will hammer the battery, from a 100% charge it can be flat in little over an hour! The TomTom app isn't bad and you can still have the HD Traffic via this app if you choose, just be aware though while away from the UK you will be paying the tariff for the data connection so while on mainland Europe HD Traffic could get rather costly in use - Mike
emjaiuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Mike

I've got a 4Gb card in my 740, and at the moment the most likely outcome due to the urgency is a 550 from TomTom and purchase W&CE map onto another card.

The problem I have with a iPhone app is that i can't hear the phone in the car. Is there a way around this? It's paired with the radio for hans free which works perfectly.

Your comment about memory wearing out is interseting. Although I'm in the process of reinstalling the OS under TT support guidance, do you think installing the operating system om the SD card would help, and if so how wwould I do that?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emjaiuk wrote:
The problem I have with a iPhone app is that i can't hear the phone in the car. Is there a way around this? It's paired with the radio for hans free which works perfectly.

Your car system probably only supports Bluetooth HFP profile which the phone uses for hands free, to stream audio (music or the audio from the TomTom app) the car system needs to support the Bluetooth A2DP profile. I added a device called iO-Play to my car some years ago which offers HFP AND A2DP so I get music, spoken nav instructions and phone calls all through the car system, iPhoe is held secure in a Brodit powered holder.

emjaiuk wrote:
Your comment about memory wearing out is interseting. Although I'm in the process of reinstalling the OS under TT support guidance, do you think installing the operating system om the SD card would help, and if so how wwould I do that?

I assume you have a full back up of what was on the device before it went pear shaped? If so simply copy the whole lot to the card, insert the card and device will boot from the memory card ignoring whats on the internal storage.

If you don't have a full back up then recovery of the files is possible by direct download of those files required from the server at TomTom, this will be far more involved but I can supply the links and guide you through whats needed if your original back up is missing. If the internal memory has died on your device as long as you still have a recent map on your computer it should be possible to recover the unit to run from the card without any outlay - Mike
emjaiuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Mike

I've got a backup thats 2 months old, ie before the Since my last post, I've discovered that the files that TT support asked me to delete got reinstalled onto the SD card by mistake, with no fifference. I'ts still locked up/rebooting on startup. It works fine via My TomTom & 'Operate my TomTom' , does this mean anything eg memory is ok?

Malcolm
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Connect the device to your computer with the memory card still inside it, if TomTom Home fires up on the PC shut the software down.

Start Windows Explorer and you will see two drive letters associated with the TomTom open the first drive letter and look for the Western_Europe map folder, open it, locate and delete the file "MapSettings.cfg"

Open the second drive letter associated with the TomTom and locate the Wester_Europe map folder, open it and look for the "MapSettings.cfg" file and delete it.

Doing the above ensures that even if you have ended up with the map installed to both locations the offending file will be removed, disconnect the device from the PC and let it re-boot, you will have to re-enter your Home location and any POI warnings as a result of deleting this file but it should cure the rebooting issue - Mike
emjaiuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the delay in replying

I've managed to buy a second-hand 740, so the urgency has disapeared.

Clear flash x 3, Winows check disk and MapSettings.cfg were the first things I tried, also replaced statdata with a copy from my last backup. I get the same problem whether booting from internal memory or card as i had before reinstalling the os.

This evening I'm going to format the whole thing and see what happens. If that fails I'll probably send it to http://satnavrepairservice.com/ unless you or anyone else can suggest a better place.

One thing I did notice, was that on the info page you get after a long reboot, (black page, small white lettering,) after startup preferencees it's got 'reboot'. Is that significant?

Thanks again for your help

Malcolm
emjaiuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well this is now closed.

I'm totally amazed, but reformating both the 740 and the SD card has provided me with a working TT 740! I've been speaking to a Tech Support guy at TT called Daniel who was really helpful. I take back (most) of what I've said about TT support. (Although I think I was lucky speaking to this guy).

So I've now got two working 740s!

Malcolm
justbrowsing
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emjaiuk wrote:
Well this is now closed.

I'm totally amazed, but reformating both the 740 and the SD card has provided me with a working TT 740! I've been speaking to a Tech Support guy at TT called Daniel who was really helpful. I take back (most) of what I've said about TT support. (Although I think I was lucky speaking to this guy).

So I've now got two working 740s!

Malcolm

Congrats Malcolm; result x 2!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: