Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Increased Road Fines May Reach £100
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Increased Road Fines May Reach £100
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject: Increased Road Fines May Reach £100 Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.com
Fixed penalty notices issued to those found guilty of committing driving offences are set for sizeable increases, with some even reaching £100.

The fine, which currently stands at £60, may increase to £80 or £100 as part of the new plan which has been proposed by Justice Secretary Ken Clarke.

The additional revenue received from the higher penalties will be used to fund road safety schemes, whilst also contributing to the compensation received by victims of crime.

Those who have suffered serious injuries will be prioritised under the new scheme and British victims of terror attacks could receive this compensation - even if they are living abroad.

The increased fines are also designed to deter motorists from committing offences such as speeding or driving whilst operating a mobile phone.

Despite the scheme's intention to reduce speeding and other motoring offences, some automotive bodies have condemned the action.

The Director of the RAC Foundation, Stephen Glaister, explained that whilst he appreciated "speeding motorists are law breakers" he felt that "their punishment should fit the crime."

He went on to condemn the proposed scheme for taking additional money from offenders simply because the process is "easy" before stating the plan "goes against any sense of justice."

The Head of Road Safety at the AA, Andrew Howard, supported these views and explained that using motorists to raise money for crime victims was something the body had "opposed in the past."

Source: Mirror
email icon

Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I as reading this yesterday, and thought, great just what we want. One of the articles said that parking on yellow lines and not wearing a seat belt was also included.

I think poor old Ken has lost the plot, considering some of the other little gems he has come up with around prisons and prison sentences.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'll go and steal some stuff from a shop. It's much cheaper if you get caught Shocked . Or will they be increasing that as well with a victim surcharge Rolling Eyes
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
I think I'll go and steal some stuff from a shop. It's much cheaper if you get caught

Very Happy I think that about sums it up.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Increased Road Fines May Reach £100 Reply with quote

News Team wrote:
The additional revenue received from the higher penalties will be used to fund road safety schemes, whilst also contributing to the compensation received by victims of crime.

The increased fines are also designed to deter motorists from committing offences such as speeding or driving whilst operating a mobile phone.

I'm confused. Is this to increase income or to stop offences being committed?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Increased Road Fines May Reach £100 Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:

The former. The increased income from a motorist going over the speed limit will be used to compensate the family who's dad got stabbed by a smack-head on the street. Because it's obviously the drivers fault that this poor fella got stabbed so he pays for the compensation. The smack-head, meanwhile, gets a Playstation 3, LCD TV and 3 warm meals a day for his punishment.

MaFt
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Increased Road Fines May Reach £100 Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
The smack-head, meanwhile, gets a Playstation 3, LCD TV and 3 warm meals a day for his punishment.
The meals need to be hot, or he will be claiming even mor compensashun, paid for by the 'Victim surcharge'
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:18 am    Post subject: Re: Increased Road Fines May Reach £100 Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
MaFt wrote:
The smack-head, meanwhile, gets a Playstation 3, LCD TV and 3 warm meals a day for his punishment.
The meals need to be hot, or he will be claiming even mor compensashun, paid for by the 'Victim surcharge'
NO!!! Warm, else he'll be suing for a scalded mouth.

M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn. Just like the last Government, I didn't think it through enough to come up with all the possible outcomes. And the ones that I hadn't thought of are several orders of magnitude worse than the ones I did.
bmuskett
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Increased Road Fines May Reach £100 Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
News Team wrote:

Both - see bold.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must stop doing sarcasm!

bmuskett
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do sarcasm?
TieJustice
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

253 wrote:
I as reading this yesterday, and thought, great just what we want. One of the articles said that parking on yellow lines and not wearing a seat belt was also included.

I think poor old Ken has lost the plot, considering some of the other little gems he has come up with around prisons and prison sentences.

Guess they need to rewright the high way code for the people that park on yellows and don't have seat belts next it will be mobiles and ok to park in disabled to(if you have a disabled famile member you would know how frustrating this is)

If you do the crime pay the price simple as that. Speeding should carry a £100.00 per a mile over the speed limit so if you do 30 in a 20 school zone you should pay 1,000.00 and 3 points + speed awareness corse, second time in 1 year it would double 2,000.00 and 6 points, there is no 3rd time you simply should be banned for life as you simply have a driving problem.

This country is to soft on drivers that brake the law.
Yes I'll be the one at the front of that long tail back doing 29mph (or less) in a 30 zone
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They seem to have dropped the compensation angle, it's just your money they want.
Kia In-dash Tomtom
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, I'm going to take a different tack on this one.

We all know that despite what the authorities say, the scameras are a form of revenue collection. If the authorities not only came clean and admitted that the scameras were a form of revenue collection and (this is the important bit) did away with the points thing then I think that would be a lot fairer! If you were to speed then you would risk being taxed for speeding.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: