Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT Live traffic. accuracy of road closures!!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT Live traffic. accuracy of road closures!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
porge
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 2:59 am    Post subject: TT Live traffic. accuracy of road closures!!! Reply with quote

is it just me, that seems to be becoming enraged at the accuracy of road closures?

im a courier and depend on this service, especially at night, when im on the M6 - M1 - M25 each evening thru the night, and as some of you may know, (especially on the M25 at night) there are plenty more than ever! road/slip road closures for repairs etc.

one example thats frustrating me, is for example J18 on M25 Anti-Clockwise, exit slip, has been closed at night. but the bright people at TT Live show it as being closed about 100 metres before the slip! hence the SatNav thinking the M25 is closed!!

do i accept the new route taking me down the M1 into London (when heading to Heathrow) which is 25 mins longer on the sat nav! (when on a time critical delivery)

i also passed earlier J11 southbound on the M1 it showed the exit slip as closed, it was open!

and for the last week the M1 over J11 Northbound is closed! no! its open,

i would say, when there are queue's due to heavy traffic that its pretty accurate, it just when there are issues like above (often on slip roads OR when a road still shows as closed day/s later after its re openned!

has anyone complained to TomTom?
has anyone noticed similar issues?

is there a better service available on another Sat Nav Supplier like Garmin for example? (only ever used TomTom)

cheers
Neil[/b]
robbooth
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, they don't seem to clear roadworks / lane closures off the system - the M60 has been showing closed lanes for at least 3 months on a section (J4/19/23) where they have long since disapeared.
Garmin CoPilot & Nuvi 200W (now retired)
MRCC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Road closures seems to me to be the weakest part of the HD traffic service by far. On more than one occasion my 540 Live has diverted me around long queues via a complicated detour only to bring me out at the road closed point from a different direction. The long queues were people diverting around the road closure.

I can understand that closures due to accidents might be difficult for HD traffic to pick up quickly but roads closed due to planned repairs etc surely should get on there by someone at TT entering the info - i assume planned closures are notified and therefore available to TT?
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom's Traffic, yet again. Yawn.
It's rubbish. Live with it. Rolling Eyes
robbooth
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:

Here's a suggestion - if you see a topic that mentions HD Traffic or Live services in the title, don't click on them, then you won't get upset - simples! Very Happy
MRCC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robbooth wrote:
M8TJT wrote:

Here's a suggestion - if you see a topic that mentions HD Traffic or Live services in the title, don't click on them, then you won't get upset - simples! Very Happy

Well said Very Happy
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MRCC wrote:
robbooth wrote:
M8TJT wrote:

Well said Very Happy
But this thread has neither HD Traffic or Live services in its title. Rolling Eyes
Has all the hundreds of whingeing posts both here, on the TT forums and elsewhere actually done any good?

Like you, I will choose what I read and reply to.
Oh, and by the way, I am not upset. As I said before, I don't have a TomTom therefore have no need to whinge about my satnav, so I just whinge about people who whinge about their satnavs instead Very Happy .
robbooth
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
I don't have a TomTom therefore have no need to whinge about my satnav, so I just whinge about people who whinge about their satnavs instead Very Happy .

So you're admittting you're troll then? Wink
Froggy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MRCC wrote:
Road closures seems to me to be the weakest part of the HD traffic service by far. On more than one occasion my 540 Live has diverted me around long queues via a complicated detour only to bring me out at the road closed point from a different direction. The long queues were people diverting around the road closure.

I fully agree - especially as we have no road closure information in Scotland (or Wales) Twisted Evil

I was recently unable to use my normal exit from Glasgow Airport due to the M8 on slip being closed... I followed the alternative route suggested by my 750 Live, only to arrive back at the same point 15 minutes later!!!

This is the whole point about Tomtom not showing road closures - if you are unfamiliar with the roads surrounding a closure, you are quite likely to be given totally inappropriate directions. Locally, I have been able to circumvent Tomtom's ignorance, but not on unfamiliar routes.

Unlike M8TJT, I feel that we have a right to complain about a service which we are PAYING FOR! I object to paying for a service which does not route me round road closures which are shown on Google maps, RAC Traffic and BBC traffic.

A number of roads were closed recently - for several months - because of a major fire in Glasgow, yet according to Tomtom, they were all flowing freely Razz

Maybe the Scots and Welsh should get a reduced price for the reduced service???

"TomTom HD Traffic
Get the best real-time traffic information on motorways and secondary roads."

is the claim on their website - but not in the real world...
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robbooth wrote:
So you're admittting you're troll then? Wink
Yep Supreme Angel I'll stop now Very Happy
I must admit, it must be frustrating seing as you've paid good money, and TT advertise it as UK and it's not fully implemented here. It seems to me that it's a jolly good idea for those who travel a lot, but the implimentation could be a lot better (as an understatement).
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT is NOT a troll, he's making a valid point. Because I'm one of those who regularly breaches his level of tolerance for repetitious TT Traffic moans I can see he has a point even if I don't agree with it.

But I assume, like me, his idea of participating in the PGPSW forums is to look at as many topics as he can and add comments where he feels the urge. I for one welcome all contributors, irrespective of fitness, age or sex (even southernersoftypantses and you can't be fairer than that!)

If I thought he was a troll, I'd be really horrid to him, even though I'm so good natured and tolerant you wouldn't believe. Supreme Angel

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C'mon then Dennis. I was trolling (a teensy weensy bit), so do your worst you aaard northern git turned southwesternsoftypants who lives in a place better known for the Infra-draw football pools fiddle by HCB Laughing
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You disgusting, tired, old man - you can't even troll with conviction. And I'll have you know it was Horace who gave TomTom their slant on marketing hype.

And if I remember correctly, if you didn't win with the lines he sold you, he'd give you another set free. TT weren't listening to that part! Twisted Evil

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: