Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Via Live 125 and Florida maps..Dual use ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Via Live 125 and Florida maps..Dual use ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dazzabird
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:45 am    Post subject: Via Live 125 and Florida maps..Dual use ? Reply with quote

Hi all

Any help would be greatly received.

I have a Via Live 125...Had several devices over years but this is my latest with the HD traffic ( not bad )...Had RDS receiver previous on other devices.

However i have placed a 16mb memory card in the device becuase i am going on holiday to florida in a few weeks and i want the map etc.

Can i install direct to the device and use when i get there or do i need to over write the maps i have...?

Also i want to pre-program several POI's into it for use when i get there or is there a seperate POI that is available ?

Hope someone can help

Darren
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised no-one answered you yet!

Did you really mean a 16MB card? That won't be anywhere near big enough for a map. Did you mean 16GB?

Assuming you did, you should be able to buy and install the US map straight to the unit.
Unlike the older models, the new ones just see the internal memory and the SD card as one big pool of storage space, so it decides for itself where to put stuff.

Once the US map is downloaded, you can use "Switch map" in the settings menu to go and have a look at it before you leave the UK.
You can search for POIs and even plan routes and demo them.

And you can add all the POI files you want anytime.
Again, it works a bit different from the older models. When you add the POI files (using MyTomTom to do it), they all go into that big lump of memory rather than into a particular map folder.
The system then works out which ones to show you when you search for a POI type.

For example if you loaded a POI file for American hotels, the system would work out that there were none of those in Europe and not bother to show that POI category if you were currently switched to the Europe map.

Finally, there's no single POI file for the US, you have to find the categories you want on the web.

PGPSW has great POI files for the UK and also some for the US, but I've no idea how extensive they are.

Some other sites for US POIs are:
TomTomForums.com - POI forum - US based, mainly US and Canada coverage
GPS-DataTeam.com - US based? International coverage.
POI66.com - US based, International coverage.
POIFactory.com - US based, mainly US and Canada, some UK.
Tomo
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking of doing similar but as we have an iPad, we downloaded nav free from the app store and then the voice pack. Worked pretty well to be honest and saved the cost of the USA maps.

So, if any of your family have an iPhone, iPad (3G version so you have gps), android phone then this is a cheap solution. You don't need a data connection for it to work.

Ironically, I'm typing this sat at Newark airport on the way back from Florida, Laughing Out Loud

Steve
dazzabird
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the replies..most helpfull

Now i know im a little dim BUT how do i put in a place i want to go to ?

Example:-

When i pick up car in USA i wanna switch sat nav on and navigate to place where i pick villa keys up from ? Like a favorite if you like.

However when i switch maps i no longer see how to do it ?
Am i doing something wrong here ?

Also on a seperate note, will my VIA live work straight away in the USA or do TOMTOM need to enable the SIM to work there ? Like phone roaming ?

Thanks again

darren
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your LIVE services will not work in the USA as the sim card on your Via works with the Vodaphone network in Europe. American LIVE models rely upon AT&T for their services. The network cards are not compatible.
dazzabird
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not fussed really about the LIVE services working in the USA..
Is there no roaming agreement in place ?

As long as when i get there i can turn the thing on and navigate around the florida area that would be good...

Just gotta work out how to do the POI's

Darren

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: