Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT MapShare and Mini Roundabouts
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT MapShare and Mini Roundabouts
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:19 am    Post subject: TT MapShare and Mini Roundabouts Reply with quote

Do TT not "recognise" mini-roundabouts?

I've had a couple rejected on the MapShare Reporter site that are definately there!!

I know they are only mini roundabouts but it does affect the priority of the roads at that point and it's nice to know one is coming up.... (Yeah i know about the signs etc...)
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: TT MapShare and Mini Roundabouts Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Do TT not "recognise" mini-roundabouts?

I've had a couple rejected on the MapShare Reporter site that are definately there!!

I know they are only mini roundabouts but it does affect the priority of the roads at that point and it's nice to know one is coming up.... (Yeah i know about the signs etc...)

TomTom's official stance is that they don't treat mini roundabouts as roundabouts, but they are inconsistent in this approach I have seen a number of mini roundabouts on their maps.

I keep on reporting them. Hopefully one day, TomTom will get the message....
Stampy72
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had the same problem....

I pass over 3 new ones constructed in the last year on my way into work , TT say they don't exist.... Rolling Eyes

I just keep reporting them as well.... Smile
GPS v1.20, Boot 5.5138
Map : "Europe_North" v 900.4602
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my experience, when they are just on a crossroads, they seem not to accept them (go straight ahead if not told otherwise). However, when it would otherwise not be obvious (eg 3-way ones where there's no obvious T-junction effect), they appear to accept them.

Probably depends on which side of the bed the editor got out of. Confused

Gerry
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid that mini roundabouts are the reason that I stopped submitting map changes to TomTom.

I keep a log of all of the map changes that I have submitted to TomTom. Nearly three years ago, on 15th May 2009 (using TomTom 730T and Western and Central Europe 2GB V825.2157 map) I submitted a roundabout in Wheatley, Oxford. Three years on and the TomTom maps still don't have it. If you click on the link you'll see that Google maps have it and it is plain to see on satellite view too, so TomTom don't even need to send anybody to verify it!

The Highway Code wrote:
188. Mini-roundabouts. Approach these in the same way as normal roundabouts. All vehicles MUST pass round the central markings except large vehicles which are physically incapable of doing so. Remember, there is less space to manoeuvre and less time to signal. Avoid making U-turns at mini-roundabouts. Beware of others doing this.

If the The Highway Code says that mini-roundabouts should be approached in the same way as normal roundabouts then why does TomTom decide to miss some out.

If anybody from TomTom reads this thread - please investigative all map submissions and include mini-roundabouts if they exist!

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
beeceegee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed recently that my TT1005 fails to recognize a couple of quite large roundabouts as such. Instead it will navigate a right turn as "turn left, turn right, turn right, turn left". It saw them correctly until about 6 months ago
BrianG
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some long time now, I have submitted only half a dozen mapshares, really for my own convenience, and I have uploaded them just in case any of you care/dare to use them.

Three of them are mini roundabouts in Keynsham and after my regular submissions from at least four devices simultaneously (each time a new map came out), they are now on the map. Whether this is due to my several submissions or some other reason, I have no idea - I've never had any acknowledgement of them. Or maybe they have simply been retained and carried forward from my previous mapshare corrections? They show on Streetview now.

51.41816,-2,50437
51.41604,-2.49976
51.41402,-249787

In every case, I added a text comment ... "Mini roundabout, no road reconstruction, only road markings."

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
.....maybe they have simply been retained and carried forward from my previous mapshare corrections?

If they are showing as roundabouts graphically now, then I think they must have been accepted and have actually been corrected on the new map.

If they were just "carried-forward" mapshare corrections, then the voice instructions would refer to them as roundabouts, but the visuals would still show the old junction layout.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. All my roundabouts have been rejected!!

Quote:
If the The Highway Code says that mini-roundabouts should be approached in the same way as normal roundabouts then why does TomTom decide to miss some out.

Exactly my point. In many cases it turns a main road crossed by a minor road into a roundabout junction completely altering the priorities..

I'm sure initially they started to add them. As Tim says i've seen some junctions change (not ones i've submitted mind) and some (ones i have submitted) rejected.
mccririck
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have submitted a lot of mini roundabouts, but I have wondered if TomTom bother about them as most never seem to change and I have to submit them again every time I get a new map update. It gets tedious.
superplum
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a forum lurker who uses an "old", but up-to-date, XL Europe occasionally. I understand the frustrations when Mapshare corrections are ignored or take forever but do not understand the problem relating to mini-roundabouts. After all, the satnav is only a routing device; it does not indicate road priorities for drivers. Your eyes and road signs provide that service. What improvement would be gained by showing mini-r'bouts when you can plainly see them? Also, there are no priority roads in the UK, only roads where you are required to give way - its a subtle difference but an important one no-one has priority.

Just an after thought, how many road atlases show mini-r'bouts?

Rolling Eyes
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

superplum wrote:
What improvement would be gained by showing mini-r'bouts when you can plainly see them?

Good point, but I think it's more for the sake of having correct/accurate data - especially when some are in their data but others aren't. It would, however, be useful as voice guidance "in 1 mile go straight on at the mini roundabout" - driver then knows that in a mile there's a mini-roundabout. It's more natural eg if I was giving directions to someone to my house I'd say "go up Thornton Road from Bradford City Centre, after about 4 miles go across the double mini roundabout....". They make useful markers.

superplum wrote:
Also, there are no priority roads in the UK, only roads where you are required to give way - its a subtle difference but an important one no-one has priority.

If you have to give way to someone then surely that means they have priority?

superplum wrote:
Just an after thought, how many road atlases show mini-r'bouts?

Very Happy

MaFt
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

superplum wrote:
there are no priority roads in the UK, only roads where you are required to give way - its a subtle difference but an important one no-one has priority.

Now I don't want to seem to be ranting, so don't take it personally, but this topic makes me go all grumpy. When I learned to drive we were told quite clearly there are "priority situations" which we should observe and I honestly can't see how the physical reasons for the definition have changed, other than that all the road hogs now have black cars. And "Cross (or go right/left at) the roundabout" is a useful addition to driving assistance.

My favourite was that when you turned left/right at a corner junction, any pedestrians crossing the road inside that road had priority, so you were required to give way to them (they weren't considered valuable enough back then to have pedestrian crossing facilities at traffic lights, so common courtesy was amplified by priority rules in the Highway Code).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And don't you have to give way at give way signs and to traffiic from the right on a roundabout? Is this not 'priority'? What about the sign with red and black cars that says something like' Give way to oncomming traffic' I rest my case.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi superplum,

superplum wrote:
I understand the frustrations when Mapshare corrections are ignored or take forever but do not understand the problem relating to mini-roundabouts.

Good question and it's nice to see a forum lurker jumping into the forum. Thumbs Up

1. Like everybody else, I want my SatNav to be as accurate as possible, especially as I'm running the latest software on my SatNav and I've paid to have the latest maps.

2. I understand TomTom Mapshare to be a procedure where users can report errors. If somebody takes time to report an error it should be acknowledged, verified, and if correct included as early as possible into the next map update.

3. Regardless of whether TomTom regards a road feature such as mini-roundabouts worthy of featuring in a map. The UK Highway Code includes them. Other map "providers" include mini-roundabouts. See the mini-roundabout shown on the Google map of Wheatley, near Oxford.

4. If TomTom are notified about a road feature such as mini-roundabouts (which is easily to verify) and don't include it into the next map update then it does send the message that it isn't worth sending updates to TomTom as they do not process them so why should people take the time to send other updates to TomTom?

I still submit updates to the PocketGPSWorld Camera Database as I know that they will definitely be looked into and if correct will be included into the next version of the database. I do this for the greater good of the community that uses the PGPSW database.

I would do the same for TomTom Mapshare, if I thought my submissions were at least considered but my own experiences indicate to me that they are not. Which is a real shame because TomTom Mapshare has the potential to provide extremely accurate map data.

If anybody from TomTom reads this post and would like to assure me that TomTom Mapshare does now consider all submissions (including mini-roundabouts) then I would be pleased to hear from them. Either post in this topic thread or email me via the email button.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: