Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Has Live Traffic Range Increased Recently
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Has Live Traffic Range Increased Recently

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flashyphotos
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:05 pm    Post subject: Has Live Traffic Range Increased Recently Reply with quote

Just noticed this morning on viewing live traffic range seems better than before

Getting reports from approx 75/80 mile radius

Based Nr Mansfield and Getting reports from Nr Kendal Lake District North West and Hitchin Herts South East

Lot better radius than I have seen recently

http://www.ebaystorage.webspace.virginmedia.com/traf1.jpg

HUGE image changed to a link ;) - MaFt
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it has for me. After the 430 firmware update, I thought it had changed significantly, and had a massive area for about 5 minutes before it decided that was enough optimism and cut back to the usual small square. Check yours after 15 mins and see if it is the same. I wonder if the device asks the server for the radius later in the process, and that can be delayed.
Flashyphotos
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matthewj wrote:
I don't think it has for me. After the 430 firmware update, I thought it had changed significantly, and had a massive area for about 5 minutes before it decided that was enough optimism and cut back to the usual small square. Check yours after 15 mins and see if it is the same. I wonder if the device asks the server for the radius later in the process, and that can be delayed.

Had it on for over an hour now and still showing the improved range

Device is a 1000 (42 Country Euro), Running Custom Firmware 10.837

Fingers crossed it lasts this way!
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the moment from London I am seeing the top left corner of info as M6J11A/M6JT8 and everything South East of that point.
Antoeknee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Checked and still same kind of range I'd had before, as the crow flies about 70-80 miles.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like the range I've been seeing for quite a long time. For me, basically setting off from Bristol, I can't see Birmingham or London traffic. But have you checked by zooming in on the detail? - I have found it to be roadworks, rather than traffic incidents.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a lot of roadworks a long way off but at the moment from London I can see delays at M6-J7, some 120 miles away by road.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
There are a lot of roadworks a long way off but at the moment from London I can see delays at M6-J7, some 120 miles away by road.

Great. Can you see anything in London, because I can't and I'm setting off for SW1P 1RT in an hour's time. I mean, this still doesn't even show Hammersmith Flyover!!! The TT Route Planner and Live Traffic website does show it, as a 12 minute delay. So they've got the information, just not putting it out to Live devices. GRRR!! - I've paid for this service.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Bunty1948
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Has Live Traffic Range Increased Recently Reply with quote

Flashyphotos wrote:
Just noticed this morning on viewing live traffic range seems better than before

Getting reports from approx 75/80 mile radius

Based Nr Mansfield and Getting reports from Nr Kendal Lake District North West and Hitchin Herts South East

Lot better radius than I have seen recently

http://www.ebaystorage.webspace.virginmedia.com/traf1.jpg

HUGE image changed to a link ;) - MaFt

I've always been confused on this issue. Almost since the beginning (Dec 2010) I have had a range of about 100 miles. Living in Northallerton I receive reports as far north as Berwick upon Tweed 113 miles, and south west to Chester 118 miles.
However, it always appears to me that there is a line drawn west east along the the latitudes of Sheffield and The Tweed. Anything between these two lines is displayed no matter how far away as the crow flies. However, on a recent trip to Bath I noticed that the range changed significantly. Maybe it's affected by the number of incidents and not the distance at all.
The North East has less motorways and less congestion so is that the answer. I'd really like to know?

Alan

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: