Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New CamerAlert user - Good and bad feelings!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New CamerAlert user - Good and bad feelings!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Apple Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonnyprice
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject: New CamerAlert user - Good and bad feelings! Reply with quote

Hey all

I just wanted to drop a quick line to say how much im loving the CamerAlert app.

Im a recent convert to Apple devices, and switched to an iPhone 4s from a BlackBerry 9780. Im really pleased with the apps that can be downloaded, and was expecially chuffed when I spotted that CamerAlert was now free, so I decided to giv it a try.

After a few teething problems, I decided that RTFM was the way forward. Once I'd read the manual I understood how to work the app and was very happy with it. I even managed to make my first submission using the app for a camera that the software seemed to know about, but it thought was facing the opposite direction (so no warning was given), and was really pleased with its ease of use.

I use a TomTom dedicated SatNav, and have the PGPSW database on there too, but I must admit it is a bit of a pain to connect it up to my PC and update it every time a new database is issued. The sooner TT allow OTA updates from other sources the better.

I think the best feature I've used so far is the fact that the database can be downloaded OTA, and as I'm on unlimited data allowance I can do this often with no worries. This is certainly a massive improvement upon having to remember where my USB cable has gone, and boot up my aging PC!!

The worst feature I've found so far is the sound. It would be really neat if the app developers could find a way to develop the software to use Bluetooth ONLY when it needs to speak. That way I can enjoy my music or radio programme at whatever volume I wish, and not have to worry about missing a camera. My built-in SatNav (which is horrendously out of date) has such a feature, but I suppose this is easy as it is connected to the car already. Perhaps PGPSW could develop their database for inbuilt satnavs like mine? But I think that CamerAlert using Bluetooth only when a camera is in range would be a better option.

My 4s' Siri uses Bluetooth in this way - I press for Siri and it connects to my hands free. Im no developer so I dont know how easy it is to create such a thing?

Overall Im hapy with it. It's much more convenient than the database for the TomTom device, and can be updated on the fly, which is probably it's best feature. Lets see what the future brings, but I think this app is going to go from strength to strength.

J
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: New CamerAlert user - Good and bad feelings! Reply with quote

Siri connecting to Handsfree is a different bluetooth protocol altogether. That uses the handsfree calling profile whereas sending audio (music, alerts etc) uses the A2DP profile.

As far as I'm aware though it DOES only use the A2DP profile when it has to give a sound. I think the issue could be your stereo - if your stereo detects BT audio does it automatically switch to that mode? or do you need to keep it on the BT audio input option?

One option could be to use the iPod app on the phone to play your music through the BT on the stereo the, when CamerAlert needs to talk, it can pause or lower the volume and give the alert through the stereo?

It's difficult to say though without knowing your exact set up - what music are you listening to? how is your phone connected tot he stereo etc etc

MaFt
jonnyprice
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey MaFt,

I've just been reading through other forums where the type of bluetooth is mentioned. I'm a techy by trade (Fixed telecoms & Data) so will read up and try and understand.

I've not tried to play music via bluetooth as yet, but will give it a whirl this evening.

In terms of the stereo - it automatically switches to the bluetooth when there is an active 'connection', so for example when I press the home button and Siri kicks in, the stereo will automatically cut to the bluetooth connection, however it sees Siri as an 'active call' so I suspect I may be unfortunate enough to have the type of stereo which won't support music. It would be interesting however to see what happens if I ask Siri to play music.

If I press the homoe button and talk to Siri (e.g. 'Remind me to take an umbrealla to work today at 0700'), but then cancel my request (e.g. Siri: 'Here's your reminder for 0700 today. It says 'Take a unicorn to the seaside today. Shall I create it?' Me: WTF? 'No. Cancel'. Siri: 'Ok. I won't remind you'.) The 'Active call' stays active, but there is no sound. I then have to press the microphone Icon to talk to Siri again.

I can press 'End Call' on the phone or the stereo to kill the connection.

I've posted on a forum dedicated for my car (http://www.x-trail-uk.co.uk) to see if any of them happen to know which type of BT the car uses.

I think I've still got a bluetooth headset that I used with my old phone, so that might be an option to explore.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We will also investigate what it takes to make CamerAlert pretend to be on a Bluetooth call.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
jonnyprice
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. Cheers for that!

Just to update you, I tried to play music, and it just killed the BT connection and played music via the iPhone's speakers.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
We will also investigate what it takes to make CamerAlert pretend to be on a Bluetooth call.
Is this another call for having the iPhone play a silent track on a loop? (I'm so tech I can't believe myself!).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
lbendlin wrote:
Is this another call for having the iPhone play a silent track on a loop? (I'm so tech I can't believe myself!).

Nice try Dennis. Totally unrelated. This here is about NOT using A2DP.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did say I couldn't believe myself. Laughing

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Apple Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: