Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Bad Routing
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Bad Routing
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navman Handhelds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steveee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are in the right place as your problem is with the software.

With regards your complaint, the main problem with finding place names in countries such as France (and some other European countries) is that they use special characters, e.g. é. To find Gerardmer you actually had tp type Gérardmer which is not easy with the iPaq keyboard. Not even sure an acute e is available with the Navman630! Smile

With regards duplicate towns, this is more to do with the map source. You probably have the same problem with TomTom as they use the same map source.

In terms of routing - yep that's a problem with the Navman. If I spot that the routing has unexpectedly changed I tend to ignore it. I have had it route me off the M1, round a roundabout and then back on the M1. Not sure why it changes it's mind, may just decide this is a slightly shorter route! The product also appears to not be able to differentiate between single track A roads, dual carriadgeway A roads and Motorways for routing. It always chooses the Motorway. I haev seen the ETA drop by 10-15 mins when I ignore the suggestd route and take the A road option. Rolling Eyes

With regards one way roads, this is because the mapping software can be up to 2 years out of date. In some cases the local authority have changed routing and the map company has not caught up. The same goes for bus lanes, new and re-routed roads - that's why you appear to be driving through fields. The M6 toll road is not on many maps yet. Crying or Very sad

In short, they all tend to be like this to some degree. Depends where you are in the product lifecycle.

The main problem is with unexpected routing. Evil or Very Mad

Unlike using a paper map, you are continuously looking at the GPS map and spot all errors. Also paper maps show planned roads. Can't do this with GPS maps as it might try and route you over a road (or bridge) that does not yet exist! In order to keep any where near up to date, the GPS companies would need to re-issue their maps every 6 months at a cost to the user of around £100-£150 per issue!!!! They tend to opt for giving you less regular updates bundled with s/w upgrades.

I am not apologising for the errors, but you do need to understand why they exist and take account of them when using the products.
GO 920 (retired)
Garmin Oregon 550T
Garmin Drivesmart
sfi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the last few posts that the unexpected routing is a real problem. The fact that it changes it's route even when you follow the original route really does cause problems (I sent evidence to Navman about this back with V1.91). I've also had some of the problems that others have experienced, (spoken instructions that don't match the map display, being told to continue for say 10Miles on a road and then almost immediately being told to exit onto a side road and often being sent down side roads only to be brought back onto the original road). As it stands I have little confidence in the routing and more often than not have to ignore many of the instructions as i have ended up at a dead end or a road that isn't passable (a lot worse in Europe) far too many times.

I don't know what the solution could be but the use of waypoints and also more options in the routing where you could give priority to different classes of roads (like autoroute for example) may help as the "Quickest, Shortest" options just don't seem enough to overcome this deficiency.

My next GPS upgrade will be the software that gives me reliable routing that i can count on as this is the most important thing for me. Any views to which software currently gets somewhere close ?
HellFire
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Copilot 5 is good, the best thing you can do with Navman is put it in the bin Laughing

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navman Handhelds All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: