Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Changing format
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Changing format
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maxdot
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:50 pm    Post subject: Changing format Reply with quote

I want to add custom POIs to my TT 825 via Add Community Content on MyTomTom. For this I need to have *.ov2 and *.bmp files of the same name. Some of the files I am trying to get from Garmin *.gdb which I have run through GPSBabel to change their format. The process looks as if it is successful. The files have duly changed their file type but they are classified as 'documents' not, as with the speed camera database files, as 'Unix Executable Files' which seems to be the necessary format although both files are labelled the same *.ov2. And I note that when I copy my custom POI files to my computer from my unit they are also saved as *.ov2 documents not as *.ov2 Unix Executables. What am I doing wrong or what step have I left out?
Help gratefully received!
Regards
Maxdot
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First I would ensure that "hide file extensions" is turned off in folder preferences. This will show the full filename. I suspect the files have another bit after the .ov2 which is why Windows is showing a different description.

Windows gives descriptions based on the file extension. I doubt that any two of us here have exactly the same list.
Brodit ProClip mount
maxdot
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to say that I'm using a Mac not Windows
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a mac user so I can't be specific, but I'm guessing something similar is going on.

When you look at ANY files on your Mac, do you normally see the three letter extension for ALL types (.doc .txt etc.)?

If your computer is set up to hide the ones it knows, it still shows ones that it doesn't know what to do with.
With Windows that makes it quite easy to end up with "double extensions" such as ".ov2.ov2" or ".ov2.txt" and not realise it.
Unless you have the view set up to show all extensions, it can get quite confusing!

So... I THINK you can ignore what the Mac is actually calling them - they aren't documents OR Unix executables. If it works like a PC, it just gives them file types depending on the three letters not what they really are (as Gerry C says). But you need to work out WHY it's giving them different file types.

I suppose, the bottom line is... do they work when you add them to th TomTom? Try it and see, you can't do any harm.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So long as the extension is .ov2 then it should be fine.

I've noticed that Mac OSX can show different 'types' for files with the same extension depending on how they were created and the last app you used to open them. E.g. if I opened abc.ov2 in TextWrangler it would show it's type as being a document or textfile whereas xyz.ov2 that was downloaded from PGPSW would show the type as a unix executable.

Have you tried copying the converted ov2 files to your device?

MaFt
maxdot
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for that. I tried installing onto my unit from my computer a *.ov2 document file that I had copied from my unit to my computer on MyTomTom (so it should work for heavens sake!) (as opposed to a *.ov2 unix executable file) and got the following message
'The content you are trying to install cannot be used with your device. Check that you have the correct file.'
So that doesn't look too good. I'm not sure where on my Mac I would specify hidden extensions to be visible if they aren't already!
Regards
Max
maxdot
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the end I ventured to consult TT, but like cars never going wrong when you take them into a garage for a look-see, the moment I tried to reproduce the error message to send them I managed to download my POIs correctly. Sorry for having taken up your time!
Regards
Max
NukeThemAll
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:55 pm    Post subject: converting garmin csv to ov2 Reply with quote

Having searched the forum and found this, I'm having much the same problem - converting .csv to .ov2 under Mac OSX (have tried various programmes and online converters)

Files are apparently successfully produced with the .ov2 extension but which the Mac does not recognise as 'true' unix executable files but as 'documents.

Unfortunately my TomTom also does not recognise these as valid .ov2 files when they are loaded.

Would love to hear if anyone has successfully carried out this conversion on a Mac

Thanks
NukeThemAll
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more experimentation.....when the file is loaded into my TT, it apparently has the correct file type (but not when on my Mac, only when on my TT) ie it's recognised on the TT as a Unix executable.

But when my TT tries to use the file, it has a full point before the file name when listed on my TT (ie 'navigate to POI', select the POI file from the list) but there's no full point visible in any Mac file explorer.

And the TT says it has no content ie 'no POIs found'. Crying or Very sad
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure about the validity of all this "Unix executable" stuff, but then I don't understand Macs.

On my PC all .ov2 files are referred to as "TomTom Binary" but I assume that's because I have POIEdit installed, which has told Windows what to call them.
(I think Windows itself is pretty dumb and needs a suitable program to tell it what the files may be).

Maybe you should list the converter progs you've already tried? Then people may see they have used a different one...
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NukeThemAll wrote:
Some more experimentation.....when the file is loaded into my TT, it apparently has the correct file type (but not when on my Mac, only when on my TT) ie it's recognised on the TT as a Unix executable.

But when my TT tries to use the file, it has a full point before the file name when listed on my TT (ie 'navigate to POI', select the POI file from the list) but there's no full point visible in any Mac file explorer.

And the TT says it has no content ie 'no POIs found'. Crying or Very sad

Looks like you're copying over the 'dot files' to the tomtom. these are basically temp files on the mac but are usually hidden. other OS will show them - e.g. if you look in a mac folder via a windows machine you will see them. You could remove the dot files via a windows machine if you wanted.

there may also be a way to view the dot files in Finder on the mac to remove them that way but it's not something i've had to do often enough to be able to tell you exactly how!!

the 'unix executable' is a red herring. regardless of what OSX classes the file as, it's still an OV2 file.

Andy: In Windows if you change what a file extension opens with then it changes it for ALL those file types - eg if you said to always open .ov2 files in Word then it'd show ALL ov2 files as "Word Documents" (even though they are still fully functional ov2 files). Where as in Mac OSX it will not change ALL file 'types' just the one you are opening, there is an option to change all though but this doesn't usually happen. Basically, it is still an ov2 file regardless of what Windows or Mac OSX classes it as.

MaFt
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:

Andy: In Windows if you change what a file extension opens with then it changes it for ALL those file types - eg if you said to always open .ov2 files in Word then it'd show ALL ov2 files as "Word Documents" (even though they are still fully functional ov2 files).

Yeah, that's what I was trying to say (not very well!)
Windows doesn't actually "know" what a particular file is, it just has a look-up table which tells it what to call a file with a certain extension.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
there may also be a way to view the dot files in Finder on the mac to remove them that way but it's not something i've had to do often enough to be able to tell you exactly how!!
Reading from This Post may help.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
NukeThemAll
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. The .filename is in fact the only file that's created by the translation programmes (will try some again and list them) and as I've said, it appears to be a 'normal' file on the Mac called 'filename' but only becomes a .filename when copied to the TT. I will have a re-read of the various posts above and on other threads and experiment a bit further.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:

Maybe you should list the converter progs you've already tried? Then people may see they have used a different one...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: