Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Forced to replace my 720 with a 1000
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Forced to replace my 720 with a 1000
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikewall
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:37 am    Post subject: Forced to replace my 720 with a 1000 Reply with quote

Not been on here for too long but back now. Need some advice please.

After having my cab broken into my company are replacing my TT 720 with a TT 1000 live (a refurbished unit for £150). I have a few concerns tho!

1. Does the 1000 have a SD slot?

2. Have TT Removed itinery planning?

3. How does the 1000 fair with trucks? (I'm a class 1 HGV but drive rigids mainly)

4. Can you still use GPSW camera database on this unit?

5. I've still got my RDS TMC receivers (both types jack plug and a USB one) will these still work?

Thanks in advance.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Forced to replace my 720 with a 1000 Reply with quote

mikewall wrote:
After having my cab broken into my company are replacing my TT 720 with a TT 1000 live (a refurbished unit for £150). I have a few concerns tho!

Bad luck on loosing the 720 as it did far more than the newer units are capable of

mikewall wrote:
1. Does the 1000 have a SD slot?
No it doesn't

mikewall wrote:
2. Have TT Removed itinery planning?
Yes it's been replaced with a four stop "Via" system, useless when compared to the old 48 stop capable itinerary mode

mikewall wrote:
3. How does the 1000 fair with trucks? (I'm a class 1 HGV but drive rigids mainly)?
It is a car based Nav system, you could really do with the truck based equivilant see Here I haven't held back in the past when I have said the device is crap due to a number of reasons but the capability the device offers falls a long way short of the 720 you are used to, it's reliant upon the useless MyTomTom PC interface where you can't even make a back up of the device and the screen is so reflective you can use it as a mirror. Actually in a truck that last point might be its main use, a mirror for when you need to have a shave!

mikewall wrote:
4. Can you still use GPSW camera database on this unit?
Yes

mikewall wrote:
5. I've still got my RDS TMC receivers (both types jack plug and a USB one) will these still work?
Nope, the RDS receiver for the 1000 needs the same style plug as fitted to the device so it will require another RDS device, note you get 12 months free HD Traffic with the 1000 but it can only see out to a distance of 40 miles these days which is rather useless in the UK - Mike
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed over the weekend that Currys & PC World have been selling the 1000 UK & ROI for just over £100, so either they're also fed up with it or there's a replacement due out very soon, meanwhile I'll plod on with the slower much more visible 550
mikewall
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Mike, tried to get them to get a TT 720 or TT 940 but the company they deal with only have the TT 1000 or Beckers! Mind you this TT 1000 has to be better than the co-pilot on the company MDT (Microlise Systems Motorola N410)

How many via points can you have ie if I enter Start as Banbury and Finish as Banbury, say I have 10 drops can I enter them all as via locations?

Banbury Depot
BK Victoria
Belego Covent Gdn
Kings Head London Bridge
BK London Bridge
KFC Camberwell
Pizza Hut Greenford
Ect
Banbury Depot

Can you save as a route? So I can use it again.

Is HD Traffic worth the £50 per year? Or is the RDS TMC a better option?

Like I said the company are replacing this for me so I am greatful for that and as a trucker I always take what any sat nav says with a pinch of salt and engage the best routing tools ever a map and a brain! As the police don't accept the "But officer the sat nav said turn right, down the 6' 6' wide road with a 9' bridge" they get a bit miffed!
mikewall
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry also can you make a manual backup? As in copy the contents of the flash memory using windows rather than TomTom home.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikewall wrote:

How many via points can you have ie if I enter Start as Banbury and Finish as Banbury, say I have 10 drops can I enter them all as via locations?

As Mike said... only 4 VIAs possible (and that's dropped to 3 on some of the new models)
All you can do is split it up into individual routes.

mikewall wrote:
Can you save as a route? So I can use it again.

No, not a route. You've never be able to do that on any TomTom, except as an itinerary. No itinerary feature, no saving routes

mikewall wrote:
Is HD Traffic worth the £50 per year? Or is the RDS TMC a better option?
It's probably still better. As it's free for a year, try it and see how you get on.
You also get the other LIVE services too, the most useful of which is Google Local Search, which works very well (makes up for the crap POIs on TomToms!)

mikewall wrote:
Sorry also can you make a manual backup? As in copy the contents of the flash memory using windows rather than TomTom home.

No. The new models do not appear to Windows as external drives at all (they act like mini web servers!), so there is no way to view the contents, move them around, or back them up.
You don't use "Home" at all, there's a new program called"MyTomTom, that uses a web browser interface for updates etc. According to TT, there's no need for backups now, because everything is re-downloadable at any time (pigs might fly!).

The only things you can do yourself are add POIs, map colour schemes, vehicle icons, start-up and shut-down images, recorded voices and warning sounds.
One improvement is that your Favourites are now saved as a standard POI file, so you can back those up and move them from one unit to another.

Oh, and Mike is being a LITTLE unkind about the screen. Yes it is terribly reflective, but it's also a lot brighter than the old screens, so is far better in strong sunlight.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was using Add Community Content yesterday to copy community sounds to the computer. I selected one to copy but it never did. I haven't pursued the issue as I was also tied up doing other things but I gotta get back to it to see if there is a bug somewhere.
mikewall
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! Sad Can see this going on eBay and trying to get a older model! Don't TT get the "IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T FIX IT!" rule. At least I can uninstall the clunky TT home Laughing Out Loud.

I take it you can still set up custom poi warnings using TTS?

Does TT LIVE include there speed cams? And if so can they be turned off?

Thanks again! That little scroat in Waltham Cross has alot to answer for Mad
Makes me glad that my battery was shagged so the unit powers down after a few seconds they just ripped the unit off window snapping the cable leaving plug behind! Hopefully renders unit unsellable! And my details will come up when turned on!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikewall wrote:
Great! Sad Don't TT get the "IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T FIX IT!" rule?

TT have their own version - "IF IT AIN'T BROKE, BREAK IT". And they're pretty damned good at following it!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikewall wrote:

I take it you can still set up custom poi warnings using TTS?
Does TT LIVE include there speed cams?
And if so can they be turned off?

Yes, yes and yes. (But if your POI warnings are for the Speed cams from here, it's quicker to use the downloaded voice warnings from here too).
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1000 is a good device, with very little wrong with it.

I have never noticed any reflections on my screen, and if anything the display is much easier to see than my old 930.
Rickj2903
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just replaced my 940 (slow connection problems) with a 1000 and I have to confess I love the 1000.

I switch it on and it does everything it's supposed to. If and when it does have a fault at least I know that it will be TT's problem to sort out (agreed that's a problem in itself) and won't have been caused by something that I have done accidentally.

The display is crystal clear and I wouldn't say that it was any more reflective than the 940, I certainly haven't noticed it.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

technik wrote:

I have never noticed any reflections on my screen.
Rickj2903 wrote:
I wouldn't say that it was any more reflective than the 940, I certainly haven't noticed it.

Blimey! Are you two vampires, and only go out after dark? Laughing

As I said in my first post though, the extra brightness of the screen goes quite some way to help.
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
technik wrote:

I have never noticed any reflections on my screen.
Rickj2903 wrote:
I wouldn't say that it was any more reflective than the 940, I certainly haven't noticed it.

Blimey! Are you two vampires, and only go out after dark? Laughing

As I said in my first post though, the extra brightness of the screen goes quite some way to help.

It helps if you take a photo from an angle that a real driver would see. Obviously your photo is posed in a worst case scenario with the satnav on a blank white menu screen that in real world does not exist.

I can use my plasma TV as a mirror, but in actual use reflections are not an issue.

Picture clearly shows the GO1000 angled upwards where the model on the left is down tilted.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

technik wrote:

It helps if you take a photo from an angle that a real driver would see. Obviously your photo is posed in a worst case scenario

Sorry??? The picture was taken with the two units on the windscreen in the position I was using them while driving, and I was sitting in the driver's seat looking at them through the viewfinder. I don't see how much closer to "real" I could have got.

technik wrote:
.... with the satnav on a blank white menu screen that in real world does not exist.

Not true. Actually the Go940 had just SWITCHED OFF and the GO1000 was still on. So I'll accept that unfortunate difference, but I don't think it detracts from showing the obvious bad reflections on the Go1000.

technik wrote:
Picture clearly shows the GO1000 angled upwards where the model on the left is down tilted.

As I said they had not moved from where I had been using them while driving.
But, if you buy a Go1000 you spend an AWFUL lot of time moving it around to all sorts of strange angles to try to get rid of the reflections of yourself and the surrounding scenery, so maybe they weren't at EXACTLY the same angle. On the Go950 it doesn't matter what angle you have it at....

However, if it bothers you that much, next time it's sunny I'll take another one with a spirit level up against them and exactly the same image on screen.

And think about this general point..... If I had not been REALLY bothered by the reflections, why would I have gone to the trouble to take those photos in the first place? Cool

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: