Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Map Display - HTC Desire
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Map Display - HTC Desire
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Android
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chookman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Map Display - HTC Desire Reply with quote

I have been using the excellent PGPSW camera database on TomTom devices for several years but have recently acquired an Android phone (HTC Desire). I am about to change my car for one with a built-in SatNag system (Skoda Columbus) that won't be able to provide voice alerts. I have,therefore, installed the CamerAlert app onto my phone in the hope that it will give me the voice alerts that I would like to use.

I readily admit to being a technobozo, but despite extensive searching cannot get the CamerAlert app to display a map!

When I start the app it searches for a GPS fix but although it seems to know where I am (and Google maps does too) the display only shows a grid, not the underlying map.

I should be most grateful if some kind soul would point me in the right direction to resolving this and saving me from tearing out my few remaining hairs!

Many thanks.
exportman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Have you got your data link open Can you use google maps?

The app I think piggy backs google maps so the data is downloaded as required. If you don't have a data package or you have a poor link it will so the grid until it finds the map data
chookman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick reply exportman.

I have set the CamerAlert app to start Google Maps when I start the app. I get the Google Maps showing on the screen with my correct location shown but if I switch to the CamerAlerts app I am only seeing the grid. I will try turning on WFi and Mobile and see if that makes a difference but am a bit concerned that I will incur huge data charges.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What exportman says above, you need a WiFi/Data connection to download the maps from Google.

And, make sure that you have the box to show maps ticked. Goto CamerAlert; Menu; Settings; ShowMap. You have a choice of Never, Always or Near Cameras.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
exportman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

To use the mapping you do need a mobile data account.

If you tell it not to show the maps it will give the distance and direction to the nearest cameras, and you wont be downloading data.
alanlakes
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chookman wrote:
Thanks for the quick reply exportman.

I have set the CamerAlert app to start Google Maps when I start the app. I get the Google Maps showing on the screen with my correct location shown but if I switch to the CamerAlerts app I am only seeing the grid. I will try turning on WFi and Mobile and see if that makes a difference but am a bit concerned that I will incur huge data charges.

You do not need to set Cameralert to start Google maps. just do wahat AliOnhols states
- And, make sure that you have the box to show maps ticked. Goto CamerAlert; Menu; Settings; ShowMap. You have a choice of Never, Always or Near Cameras.

Alan
chookman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, thanks for your help.

I have a monthly data allowance of 500Mb that is hardly ever used but I am unsure about how quickly that would be used up if continually updating the maps. Do you have any idea about this, please?
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chookman, are the maps now working? As for data usa, I don't know as I have my settings on Near Camera because my data plan is only 300MB.
I'd suggest that you download from the Android market an app to measure your data usage, such as network counter. Go for a short drive to assess how much data gets downloaded. Be careful though, I believe that if you start the app while still connected to a wifi network it downloads some local map tiles and stores them into cache so this may give you a false reading.
When you are in the market also check out an APN widget, it will allow you to control your data usage better
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
chookman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha! I think that explains why Google maps seems to work OK without having WiFi and mobile enabled. I have only been trying it out in a small area near to my home - which is probably cached!

Thanks for the tip about network monitoring - I'll have a trawl around the market for a suitable app and do a bit of monitoring.

One supplementary question, if I may. If I use the CamerAlert in text mode as against map mode will I still get the voice warnings. If so, the mapping bit becomes irrelevant as the VAG Columbus unit can provide the mapping function. I also understand that it will display the speedcam locations (albeit with a bit of fiddling around).
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, all the voice warnings work in non map mode. This mode is good at night as its on a dark background.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
chookman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for that info. I look forward to trying it all out when I get my new car on Monday!
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are still looking for a data monitor App, I used 3G Watchdog which is free. Liked it so much I bought the Pro version (gets rid of adds etc). Costs about £1.95, but I managed to get it cheaper during one of the Market offers - 50p I think.

There are others such as Data Counter widget, also free.
chookman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you 253, notification of your post arrived just as I had started trawling through Android Market. You've saved me a load of time!
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colin, I too can vouch for 3G watchdog. Brilliant little app and also monitors wifi (separately) as well as 3G. The ads are not very intrusive so I use the free version. The data usage with Google maps is reasonably low - I did test it once and from memory it was about 20 - 30 MB per hour of driving, but that would depend on speed of course.

If you are worried about data usage you can always set the map to appear only when near a camera. If you then set the warning for a reasonable period before it will give the maps time to download
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
chookman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers, Peter! I have just downloaded the 3G Watchdog app and will be going for a bimble near some local cameras to test it all out (using my wife's car as a testbed!). I'll post up how it all goes a bit later today.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Android All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: