Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Satnav Supper: Ordering Your Food Via SatNav
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Satnav Supper: Ordering Your Food Via SatNav

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: Satnav Supper: Ordering Your Food Via SatNav Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.com
Thanks to developments in Japan, drivers could soon be getting their hands on their hamburgers much quicker by ordering it through their satnav system.

According to the Telegraph, a highly advanced in-car "Intel Transport System" (ITS), which is already being used in Japan for navigation, will now use wireless to allow drivers or their passengers to select items off a Mcdonald's menu thus allowing them to order their dinner before they physically reach the establishment.

The function is only available when drivers are within a set distance (of a couple of kilometres) of the restaurant, with the options chosen on the satnav screen relayed through the ITS network to the relevant establishment.

If the user uses an e-wallet or e-payment scheme, then payment could even be taken automatically, to make the process even less disruptive.

McDonald's was chosen by ITS because of its network of easily accessed drive-through facilities. This means users will be able to order and collect their food as part of their normal journey, making the decision to purchase a take-away less disruptive to general driving routines.

Whilst the system is initially going to be trialled in Japan - with the first test of the system planned for next month - a more widespread implementation is expected with ITS UK eager to introduce a similar system on British roads.
email icon

Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Satnav Supper: Ordering Your Food Via SatNav Reply with quote

News Team wrote:
McDonald's was chosen by ITS because of its network of easily accessed drive-through facilities. This means users will be able to order and collect their food as part of their normal journey, making the decision to purchase a take-away less disruptive to general driving routines.

Oh, no money changed hands then? Who'd have thought food could get even faster?
Kia In-dash Tomtom
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Satnav Supper: Ordering Your Food Via SatNav Reply with quote

Guivre46 wrote:
Oh, no money changed hands then?

Possibly, but not necessarily so. If the trial works well, both companies could profit substantially from it, so it could have been a freebie.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually quite like this idea although without paying up front I can see it being abused!

Having said that, I think a better way to carry it out would be a mobile website that hooks into any device's GPS location rather than a navigation device - we've already got lots of silly stuff on a NAVIGATION device Wink

MaFt
JG
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they have a long way to go.

I would be more impressed if they could deliver the Big Mac into your car via your gps device ......
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Satnav Supper: Ordering Your Food Via SatNav Reply with quote

News Team wrote:
If the user uses an e-wallet or e-payment scheme, then payment could even be taken automatically, to make the process even less disruptive.

I read this as meaning that you did have to pay. It's just a question of paying as you order or on collection (no pay, no grub). Swiping a NFC enabled phone/card when picking up the burger is already available.

Sorry, I've got an image in my head of a non-stop drive-thru where everything is dropped through the sunroof as you pass by. Confused

Gerry
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And it's not technically difficult to do, even without NFC.

PizzaExpress allow you to pay for your restaurant meal using a smartphone and a PayPal account. MacD's could offer the same service, load the app, order your food, make your payment and then join the drive-in queue.

The bigger questions is, given our growing waistlines, why is it so difficult to park and walk the 10 yds to order your 2,000 calorie food!
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
The bigger questions is, given our growing waistlines, why is it so difficult to park and walk the 10 yds to order your 2,000 calorie food!

They're my calories and I will spend them how I please!
JG
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deliveries can take on a new meaning. With the new tech on your phone, you can be "found".

So after you order...... 10 minutes later I can see the pizza delivery boy on his motor bike, delivering you your pizza at 70 mph in the fast lane, with Mr Stobart closing in on him from behind...........

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: