Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Old camera data - with reference to Frant, E Sussex
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Old camera data - with reference to Frant, E Sussex
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RSavage
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
@ RSavage, I would STRONGLY advise your friend to get over to the
http://www.pepipoo.com/Speeding.htm website ASAP.

If anyone can advise on what to do next, they can.

Thanks Andy

He's spoken to his employer's insurers - who blithely said that they have many people on their books who have enough points for a ban but are still driving (legally) having submitted effective 'consequential hardship to individuals and business statements' - and to their solicitors - who have advised him to represent himself in court because that will present him in a better light than if he turns up with a solicitor but also that he should take his boss to explain the consequential loss to the business if he is unable to drive and his unique position in the business. His boss had already offer to attend with him. He's the sole H+S bod for a large (600+ staff + unknown subbies) construction firm. And, although there are many other such bods gagging for jobs, he has, since joining them, replaced three other bods because he had qualifications outside the run-of-the-mill H+S realm.
RSavage
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:

I disagree. They need the piezo strips to trigger the camera - if these are only present on one side then how can they prosecute drivers on the otherside when there are no speed sensors?

MaFt

Forgive my ignorance, but what are the 'piezo strips that trigger the cameras'.

This suuggests to me something in the road bed?

Rgds

Richard
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSavage wrote:

Forgive my ignorance, but what are the 'piezo strips that trigger the cameras'.

This suuggests to me something in the road bed

Just that, Truvelo uses three piezo strips buried embedded across the carriageway being monitored.

See http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/gatso09.htm
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's all very well, fine and dandy, but there are no fixed cams in Frant! Just the two flashing speed signs as seen on SV.

The Truvelo nearer Tunbridge W is still present and correct. So it was not outside the Abergavenny Arms he was caught unless it was a scam van parked thereabouts.

My 45 min return home via the 'scenic route' turned into 90 mins much to the chagrine of Mrs. M8
RSavage
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
That's all very well, fine and dandy, but there are no fixed cams in Frant! Just the two flashing speed signs as seen on SV.

The Truvelo nearer Tunbridge W is still present and correct. So it was not outside the Abergavenny Arms he was caught unless it was a scam van parked thereabouts.

My 45 min return home via the 'scenic route' turned into 90 mins much to the chagrine of Mrs. M8

Thanks for incurring Mrs MB's wrath. I'll speak to my mate when I can find a tactful moment - post-sentencing perhaps!

Richard
RSavage
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:54 pm    Post subject: Very odd. Reply with quote

My friend has escaped with a 7 day ban and tiny fine!

We went through Frant this evening and he showed me the device that he is adamant took his photograph. It is a pair of cameras, one pointing towards Tunbridge Wells and the other into Frant, each of which appears to have two lenses and an IR source. They are atop a very tall green pole with a square base immediately opposite the entrance to the Abergavenny Arms. The base is surrounded by the 'egg box' concrete hard-standing for mobile camera vans.

He saw a flash as he drove into Frant from Tunbridge Wells and, when he received the NIP, requested a copy of the photograph. It is labelled 'Frant' and places him just south of Church Lane on Frant Road. He is going to send me a copy of the photograph. He knows two other people who have been similarly caught in Frant.

Very strange.

Richard

PS. In the feint hope of securing a lifetime membership, I have submitted a camera at the location in question.

R
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I don't know. There were no 'normal' fixed cams when I went through, but I did not notice any cams on a high pole, but that was probably because I wasn't looking for that sort of thing. When you get the photo, see if it was taken from a high angle, if not, it was almost certainly a mobile. If the cams you saw had infra red illuminators, he would not have seen them flash anyway. Could it have been a mobile van in the bus stop layby just north of the pub and south of church lane?

Keep us posted
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Very odd. Reply with quote

RSavage wrote:
It is a pair of cameras, one pointing towards Tunbridge Wells and the other into Frant, each of which appears to have two lenses and an IR source. They are atop a very tall green pole with a square base immediately opposite the entrance to the Abergavenny Arms. The base is surrounded by the 'egg box' concrete hard-standing for mobile camera vans.

I've no idea what this is but it certainly isn't a speed camera if it's atop a very tall pole. Sounds more like either local CCTV or traffic monitoring of some kind.

Much more likely that the hard standing was occupied by a van. The pictures will answer that.

Did you take a picture of the cameras on the pole perchance?
RSavage
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi yes I did take pictures - but in the dark! I will go out at the weekend and take some proper pictures.
RSavage
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Frant pictures Reply with quote

I've put some pictures here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/OldGit007/FrantCamera?authkey=Gv1sRgCLvknK-o1sXgUg

Please let me know if you can't access them. Sorry that the close ups aren't great - small, dark object against a bright background and poor camera.

Richard
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah now that is interesting. I'm pretty sure that's a C3 ANPR set-up. An automatic number plate reading camera, not a speed camer.

Your image:

C3 ANPR Camera:

http://ndi-rs.com/ukrs/static_systems
RSavage
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost identical, but the Frant camera has, what appears to be, two lenses behind a single screen and an IR source behind its own screen. Not three separate screens/lenses as in your picture.

I was using my cheap 'n nasty office camera. If I get a chance I will take a better camera with me when I'm next in that direction.

What would an ANPR camera be doing in Frant? They are for vehicle tracking purposes, yes? By which I mean they don't detect motoring offences, just note the location of number plates.

My wife commented that there is a similar set-up in Eynsford, Kent just down the hill from the garage at the junction with Gorse Hill (Death Hill). It has a pair of cameras to cover the road in both direction but she says that the IR sources are separate.

R
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The suspect cam looks like it is Here and the car photo was deffo not taken from those cams, angle too low, and was probably taken from the pub entrance Here
And that was the photo they used to prosecute him Shocked

I wonder if this is where they 'plug' it into?
RSavage
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
The suspect cam looks like it is Here and the car photo was deffo not taken from those cams, angle too low, and was probably taken from the pub entrance Here
And that was the photo they used to prosecute him Shocked

Yes, the camera is directly opposite the entrance to the Abergavenney, which is where I took the picture with the black car passing the post. I included the car photo to give some scale for the height of the pole. All the photos in my link were taken this afternoon and are not the ones used for the prosecution - I am still waiting for them.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ANPR cameras are not just for tracking - they identify a vehicle which is the subject of some notice or other for tracking - e.g. existing notice that the vehicle is know to have been associated with crime. And the ANPR function can check for Road Tax, Insurance etc.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: