Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - SatMap Expedition
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

SatMap Expedition
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lostme wrote:
If you emailed your views to Satmap on your concerns of having to pay for the new route planner did you have a reply or not.

If you're asking me, I reported on their initial response on 16th Feb (see further up this thread). The impression I got was that they MIGHT consider doing something, when they had evaluated the feedback from customers.

So, if you think you've got a case, keep sending them feedback!

Satmap Active 10+ v1.50 with full UK 1:50k map and 1:25k/1:10k County maps of Hampshire & Warwickshire
lostme
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rkm_hm wrote:
Quote:

I've just received a reply from Satmap, which I'm not going to publish at this stage because I don't want to back them into a corner. Their reply sets out to justify their current stance, but it also gives a small hint that they might modify that stance when they have evaluated the feedback they get from users.

So, if any of you feel that the A10 package which you bought made you feel morally - if not legally - justified in expecting free access in perpetuity to a Route Planner which includes 1:25k OSGB maps, I urge you to make your feelings known to Satmap. If you don't, they'll assume you're happy with what they're offering

I followed this advice and have not had a response from Satmap. I just wondered if I was alone in this or if this was the same for other forum users.
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have given my views to Satmap and have had a response. I can't say I am delighted with the response but they thought about it and sent one. They have some difficult commercial decisions to make. It is in all our interests (as Satmap users) that they stay a viable/profitable company. At the moment the direction they seem to be going in relation to charging for Xpedition is not one that pleases me but they have offered everyone a free year at the premium rate.

As things stand I have said that I do not see myself putting much if anything on Share unless I become more comfortable with their charging plans.

I should also add that when I bought my A10 and found that despite the sales blurb there was no on line planner I bought some software to do it on my PC. I still have that and so I can get by without Xpediton though I have to say that the premium version is an improvement on my software in several (though not all) ways.
Satsync 1.525
lostme
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lostmike wrote
Quote:
despite the sales blurb there was no on line planner I bought some software to do it on my PC.

What software did you buy please?

Can anyone else recommend software as I often want to plan new routes on holiday when I do not have an internet connection. Up till now I have relied on the satmap planner at home but given the future I am looking at spending my money on off line alternatives as I only need it for the areas I go to.

Suggestions welcome please.
Gibbo10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lostme wrote:
lostmike wrote
Quote:
despite the sales blurb there was no on line planner I bought some software to do it on my PC.

What software did you buy please?

Can anyone else recommend software as I often want to plan new routes on holiday when I do not have an internet connection. Up till now I have relied on the satmap planner at home but given the future I am looking at spending my money on off line alternatives as I only need it for the areas I go to.

Suggestions welcome please.

for offline work I find quo a good product, as you just download the tiles you want.
My Blog Geocache Trails
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Tracklogs. I bought it some time ago and don't know how the alternatives compare today. What I can say is they have always been very responsive to questions etc.
Satsync 1.525
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:04 pm    Post subject: The Future maybe ? Reply with quote

Maybe premature, but my concern has always been Satmap themselves...great to deal with and some really helpful people, but, as a GPS Outdoor supplier they are a pretty small fish in quite a big pond. If you take the latest TOPO US maps Satmap are offering and supplied by National Geographic, (and now tied up with 'AllTrails' in the US,) you will see the list of supported GPS units with Magellan seemingly being promoted as the 'favourite'.

http://www.natgeomaps.com/gps

My guess is that sooner or later, somebody is going to be knocking on their door in Leatherhead, or maybe a further visit to the US has already been planned perhaps ?
SmellyBoots
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like LostMike I'm a long-time Tracklogs user but won't buy any more mapping than what I have as for me it's been made redundant by Xpedition. May be I'm boring but I always do the routes before I go on holiday so don't need access while I'm there.

One thing I would say about Tracklogs is that they are pretty much tied in with Garmin and Tracklogs will load directly from a Garmin but Satmap has to save routes to your hard drive and then import from there. I did email Tracklogs a couple of years ago suggesting they offer native suppport for a fellow British product but all I got in response was guidance on using .gpx files which I already knew.

You can try most mapping software, including Tracklogs, before you buy. Ebay generally has stuff on offer depending on what you choose.
Xcell1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:26 pm    Post subject: 2 simple questions.... I hope! Reply with quote

How do I type in post codes or OS grid references into xpedition so that I get a POI or a flag at that location? Ideal I would want to copy from a spreadsheet and paste in.

If I create a POI or flag on the map, can I copy the OS grid ref so I can paste it into a spreadsheet?

Thanks in anticipation
SmellyBoots
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: 2 simple questions.... I hope! Reply with quote

Xcell1 wrote:
How do I type in post codes or OS grid references into xpedition so that I get a POI or a flag at that location? Ideal I would want to copy from a spreadsheet and paste in.

If I create a POI or flag on the map, can I copy the OS grid ref so I can paste it into a spreadsheet?

Thanks in anticipation

Use the Search Bing Maps facility under the Extras icon. Paste in a post code using Ctrl + V and it will drop a POI at that point.

Right click on a POI icon to display the details and you can copy the location using Ctrl + C.

It works for Post Codes and Lat/Long references but OSGB GB references seem to end up in the States but not always if you make it a 10 figure number!! If you figure out the OSGB Grid reference post the answer here.

Hope that helps.
Xcell1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for that, that certainly works, but surely that is a step backwards from what we had in the old planner? It looks like Silverlight doesn’t allow simple cut and paste using a mouse what’s the point in that! And why on earth can’t you enter os grid references, is this not a British product which one of the main selling points is OS mapping?
Gibbo10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that it is a missing that you can't search by OSGB Grid references.
The issue is with Bing maps I think although I have written to Satmap to see if they can write an app like this one below

http://www.bing.com/maps/explore/#5003/0.60236=1:a/5872/style=r&lat=54&lon=-2.5&z=6&pid=5874

Which overcomes the issue.

In the meantime if you enter the OSGB reference into the above link then copy and paste the WGS84 reference into the the planner search it will find the spot.
My Blog Geocache Trails
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got me really excited Gibbo10 but I can't get that link to give me anything that will recognise the grid refs I put in. Would you like to check it or give us a hint at the precise format you use?
Satsync 1.525
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LostMike wrote:
You got me really excited Gibbo10 but I can't get that link to give me anything that will recognise the grid refs I put in. Would you like to check it or give us a hint at the precise format you use?

I've just tried it, and it seems to work. As a test, I entered the grid reference of the Rowridge TV transmitter on the Isle of Wight (SZ447865) into the box labelled "Jump to a Grid Reference" and then pressed GO. Up popped a map, with a little blue square round the specified location.
Just above the legend, it gave the WGS84 Lat/Long as 50.6769,-1.3680
I copied this to the clipboard, went to Xpedition, clicked on the "Search Bing Maps" magnifyer icon, and pasted the Lat/Long into the seach box, and clicked Search.
It displayed a map of part of the Isle of Wight with an orange diamond at the specified location.

A bit long winded, but it certainly seems to work.

What sort of reference did you try?

Satmap Active 10+ v1.50 with full UK 1:50k map and 1:25k/1:10k County maps of Hampshire & Warwickshire
Gibbo10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LostMike wrote:

Mike, just as rkm_hm has detailed.
My Blog Geocache Trails

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: