Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Remove French Speedcams, simple question
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Remove French Speedcams, simple question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Nissan Connect
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JMBNISSANNOTE
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: Remove French Speedcams, simple question Reply with quote

Hello everyone.

I have a 2011 Note with Connect.

The unit knows about French Speedcams which is now illegal in France and wil get you a 1,500 Euro fine if caught. This came into force only in January 2012 but has not been well publicised.

Question: If I subscibe here and buy/download only the UK Speedcams, and upload these POIs to the Connect, will the French Speedcams have gone?

Don't want to do this if, after all, the French will still be there!

Thanks
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been well publicised here and we even have a warning on the download page.

When you choose the Euro data you can opt-in or out of having French speed cams:

JMBNISSANNOTE
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: Just to be sure... Reply with quote

Darren

Thank you for your prompt response.

And just so I am sure, if I subscribe, and download (minus France) the existing French POIs will be gone when I upload to the Connect?

J
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that's correct, each upload overwrites the existing database.

And in a typically French way, we've been told that, regardless of the new legislation, French Police would require a warrant to examine any satnav or smartphone, so quite how this new law is expected to work remains to be seen. There have, as yet, been no prosecutions or fines for speedcam POIs.
JMBNISSANNOTE
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject: Thank You Reply with quote

OK, I will subscribe and download the new data now.

Thanks for the quick replies, and on a Sunday as well.

Regards
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you currently using our data? I think you MAY be referring to Nissan's own data?

If so then you would need to contact Nissan for how to remove the built in speed cameras. Although from what I understand there is no way to remove them but I may be mistaken.

Uploading our speed camera database is simply an additional speed camera database as opposed to replacing the built in one.

MaFt
JMBNISSANNOTE
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject: Hm Reply with quote

OK, I subscribed and downloaded the UK data and EU data (minus France and Swiss). I put the 4 files on the stick as instructed.

Put the stick in the Connect and confirmed I wish to upload. Got error message "size exceeds available memory" and the upload failed.

Further questions then:

1) Does the stick have to be empty except the POI files (my stick has music on it as well).

BUT

2) The ENTIRE pupose of me subscribing, as I made celar above, was to remove the French Speedcams but MaFt now says they WON'T be removed.

Can you confirm MaFt is correct (that they cannot be removed) and if so, can you refund my subscription.

Thanks
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My apologies, as you were asking about our cameras I assumed you were referring to our database when asking about removing French cameras.

Our database has nothing to do with that supplied with your car and so you would need to address that question to Nissan UK.

In light of this I have cancelled your subscription and issued a refund. Please confirm you have deleted the UK/EU files that were downloaded.
JMBNISSANNOTE
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: Refund and Further Question Reply with quote

Hi Darren

Thanks once-again for the prompt reply and of course for the refund which has come through to Paypal. I can confirm that I have deleted the files which I had down-loaded though for some unknown reason they wouldn't load into the Connect anyway.

I have one last question: If the data you provide is supplementary to the 'in-built' data, won't every camera which happens to be in both databases (which would be most of them I guess) be alerted twice by the Connect?

Or am I missing something?

Thanks
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we first started offering data, the Connect had a database that was overwritten, all well and good.

However, a later system has a hard coded database which cannot be overwritten, presumably it's burnt into the map database. It's a ridiculous thing to do but that's how it is. I don't think it's even possible to deactivate them.

It make the whole feature on affected models pointless. Might as well not offer it at all. A pity as, the earlier models worked fairly well, for a factory fit system.
JMBNISSANNOTE
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:37 am    Post subject: OK I will refer this to Nissan Reply with quote

Thanks Darren.
I shall refer this to Nissan then (wish me luck).
If I hear anything useful I shall post it here.
J
actd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just read this so don't know if this reply is too late.

Navteq now do camera updates for the Connect - they are nothing like as up to date, or accurate as those from PocketGPSWorld, but if you buy the latest one from them (I think it's about £10 - £15), it WILL remove the French cameras from the built in database - you only need to do this once after which you could always re-subscribe to the PocketGPSworld and get the latest updates anyway.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actd wrote:
I've just read this so don't know if this reply is too late.

Navteq now do camera updates for the Connect - they are nothing like as up to date, or accurate as those from PocketGPSWorld, but if you buy the latest one from them (I think it's about £10 - £15), it WILL remove the French cameras from the built in database - you only need to do this once after which you could always re-subscribe to the PocketGPSworld and get the latest updates anyway.

That sounds like a plan! Shame that you have to pay £15 for the privilege of making their database legal again :/

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Nissan Connect All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: