Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Should I update my One V3??
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Should I update my One V3??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GranpaTurismo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject: Should I update my One V3?? Reply with quote

Hi guys
I hope you can help me with this one.

Some years ago I bought a TomTom One V3 Europe & was really p**d-off to find that they had "decontented" this from previous versions & that Itinerary Planning was no longer supported. However I found instructions on the web to enable me to build a custom menu & bring this functionality back & it has worked well for me.

Fast forward to today & I'm planning another European jaunt & its about time I updated my maps - the only problem is that when I connect to TomTom it is stating that I need a software update. I'm worried that if I do the update then my menu "hack" will no longer work & that I'll lose Itinerary Planning.

Has anyone had experience of this?

I suppose I can make a full backup (not using TomTom software) & recover back from this if the update does mess-up? Or will the update prevent my PC from seeing the TT as just another device?

For the price of the maps update, maybe it would be better to buy a newer machine.

What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks

Gordon
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on how long ago you connected to HOME, and TT, is it HOME that is trying to update? Which version of HOME do you have?

Which Software Version is currently on the Unit? And, in case it's relevant, what is the Map Version? Some newer maps won't work on older software versions.

According to TTs Website the latest app version is 8.010

There is a work-around to fool HOME into thinking that you have the latest version, but we can look at that when we know what you have. Smile

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
GranpaTurismo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick response TT Home is up to date, so plugged everything in - its now making a backup for me.
Hopefully it wont go on to update without my say-so.
Where do I find out what version the app is?
Can I find it through looking at he files frpom my PC or does it have to be via TT Home?
GranpaTurismo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The App version is 7.130
The maps version is 710.1561 - apparently there have been 17 updates since I bought this!

Shocked
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When HOME checks for updates you might be able to un-tick the updates, except the software one, and see if the Itinerary Planning will still work with the old map, and new software.

GranpaTurismo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had to re-install HOME after going through the rigmarole of completely uninstalling it.
Instructions here http://us.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9545/?locale=en_GB

Then it installed the latest version 7 on the unit, before installing the latest version 8.

At which point when trying to use Itinerary Planning (as the custom menu was still in place) - the thing froze & thereafter wouldn't re-boot.

So I'm now recovering back from my original backup, & will try again; testing each step of the way & making a new backup each time.

Will let you know how I get on.

Gordon
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just stumbled across This Topic again. Rolling Eyes

If you scroll down quickly until you find the RED TEXT it explains that the Itinerary Function will not work under version 8.xxx software. Sad

Sorry.

GranpaTurismo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep - that's what I've found.

There is mention that there is a navcore 7.903 that will work with Itinerary Planning & the latest maps - but I've no idea how to find or install this without TomTom HOME doing it for me - & thats not likely!

Looks like I'll stick with my 5 yr old maps then.
Itinerary Planning is more important to me than having bang-up-to-date mapping. I use it mainly for planning continental jaunts, & the roads in the Alpes Maritime don't change that much - leastways not the more interesting ones that I want to use.

Unless anyone can recommend a new unit that deffo does have Itinerary Planning. TomTom seem particularly coy about revealing whether it is or is not present & to what extent (ie 4 locations would be useless)

Cheers

Gordon
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GranpaTurismo wrote:

There is mention that there is a navcore 7.903 that will work with Itinerary Planning & the latest maps - but I've no idea how to find or install this without TomTom HOME doing it for me - & thats not likely!

You can download v7,903 direct from TT here:

http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/navcore/navcore_7.903.9183.one-onev3.cab

You should be able to find help on installing it on the forum somewhere.
If you have trouble finding it, then just shout and one of us will gide you through it.

The essential thing to do first though is to make a FULL backup of your existing set-up, using Windows explorer (not TT Home) to copy everything from the One to somewhere safe on your PC.
GranpaTurismo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have opened the 7.903 cab & extracted most of the files to the TomTom root directory, only copying those that were already there (by name).
I have also found & installed fastactivate 1.8.8 - & run it - but its still showing me as having the 7.116 navcore.

Help!

Gordon
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit I've absolutely no idea of what "fastactivate 1.8.8" is or what it's for!

There must be some instructions for manually installing software on here, but the easiest one for me to find is one I wrote on another forum, so forgive me if copy and paste from there...

It doesn't seem much different from what you've done already, but there might be some subtle difference.

1. Make that backup (I hope you have already!)

2. When you've got it (the downloaded software), it will be in a .cab archive. Although there are ways to extract all the individual files just using Windows, it's a lot easier to use a utility like "WinRar" to do it. (Google it to find a download).
This should create a new FOLDER on your desktop called "navcore_7.903.9183.one-onev3". Leave it for a moment.

3. Connect up the TomTom to the PC and use Windows Explorer to examine the contents of the sd card. It should be found as a new disk drive with a drive letter (like your main PC hard disk is called "C". You should see a whole bunch of folders (including one with the name of your particular map) and a few loose files.

4. Now carefully DELETE all the loose files that are NOT in any yellow folders (blue on a Mac OS). DO NOT delete any of the folders or any of their contents.
You should be getting rid of about half a dozen (or could be quite a few more) files with names like ttsystem, system, data.chk, etc.

5. Now get back to seeing your desktop (if you can make the open Explorer window small enough to just drag it to one side, so much the better).
Locate the folder "navcore_7.903.9183.one-onev3" that you saved in step 2, right click on it and select "Open". This should open a new Explorer window with seven items in it. Select all these by whatever method you are most comfortable with (you could go to the "Edit" menu and pick "Select all" or you could left click and drag the mouse over the names so they are all highlighted or several other methods).
Once they are all highlighted, go to the Edit menu and select "Copy" (or right click on them and select "Copy")

7. Finally go back to the OTHER Window (the TomTom, with all the folders still there) and either go to the Edit menu and select "Paste" or just right click in an empty part of the window and select "Paste".
Say yes to any requests to replace files.

This should put all seven new items onto the TomTom exactly where the old ones were, the files outside any of the existing folders and the folder contents merged with the existing ones.

8. BEFORE you unplug the Go, click on the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon, in the PC's system tray (next to the clock). Wait until that says it is OK, then unplug the TomTom.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: