Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Uncomfortable posts
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Uncomfortable posts

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Guestbook and Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bmuskett
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:42 am    Post subject: Uncomfortable posts Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
bmuskett, what's your purpose in this thread at the moment? Well, other than trying to stir up trouble?

For those not familiar with the incident from November 2009 (over 2 years ago!) the user 'Capvermell' accused us of breaching the Data Protection Act. These allegations were investigated (as we are legally required to do so) alongside the Data Commissioner for clarification. The outcome was that no offence had taken place. Emails were exchanged explaining the outcome to all parties yet Capvermell continued to abuse us in the forum posts so the threads were locked - it was a pointless discussion. Capvermell continued to start more and more posts and so he was banned and his subscription refunded in full.

It was a very rare occurrence. He accused us in public. This accusation was unfounded. He continued to accuse us even after proving that he was wrong. We acted fairly and legally investigating his claims to the full but the abuse and accusations still continued.

I am not willing to discuss the incident again as it is not relevant to a GPS discussion forum.

OK, I've moved this over to the feedback forum where it is relevant.

I'm not trying to stir up trouble. My purpose was merely to remind Dennis that TomTom aren't the only ones that delete uncomfortable posts and suspend people. Especially as he was involved in this example.

And you're being selective above as Capvermell's original complaint was about his treatment by a moderator, Dennis, and those posts were deleted.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom ban people for simply saying that HD Traffic is not as good as it should be and that people pay.

When our data is criticised we work with the person/people involved in order to resolve the issue, update our data (if required) or help with their setup (if required). We do not ban people for criticising/querying our data.

The incident you brought up was an accusation of breach of data-protection act. Capvermell accused Dennis of abusing his powers to search out and post personal information about him - this is what we investigated and found to be false.

It is completely different to what TomTom ban people for and to what Dennis was referring to in the other post.

MaFt
bmuskett
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
TomTom ban people for simply saying that HD Traffic is not as good as it should be and that people pay.

When our data is criticised we work with the person/people involved in order to resolve the issue, update our data (if required) or help with their setup (if required). We do not ban people for criticising/querying our data.

The incident you brought up was an accusation of breach of data-protection act. Capvermell accused Dennis of abusing his powers to search out and post personal information about him - this is what we investigated and found to be false.

So would you like to tell us exactly how Dennis found out what he did about Capvermell?

MaFt wrote:
It is completely different to what TomTom ban people for and to what Dennis was referring to in the other post.

There were no such caveats in Dennis's post.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That he had been convicted of speeding? A fact that he alluded to in his copious forum posts!

I don't recall the exact circumstances, it was some time ago now, but I can categorically deny that he used any information he had access to as a moderator.

In fact, armed only with capverlmell's user-name it took me 10 secs to find his name on Google and from that the news item about his speeding offence.

Capvermell alleged that we had abused the DPA which was absolutely false.

Now can we move on, I have no desire to waste more time on Capvermell.
bmuskett
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
That he had been convicted of speeding? A fact that he alluded to in his copious forum posts!

I don't think he did, that was his whole point.

Darren wrote:
I don't recall the exact circumstances, it was some time ago now, but I can categorically deny that he used any information he had access to as a moderator.

Interesting wording. Does that mean moderators can see our profile data including email addresses?

Darren wrote:
In fact, armed only with capverlmell's user-name it took me 10 secs to find his name on Google and from that the news item about his speeding offence.

I'm impressed. What search terms did you use as I've looked and haven't been able to find it?

Darren wrote:
Capvermell alleged that we had abused the DPA which was absolutely false.

Now can we move on, I have no desire to waste more time on Capvermell.

No need for you to. I'm sure Dennis could clear this up in a trice.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
No need for you to. I'm sure Dennis could clear this up in a trice.
Why on earth should he - what's to clear up at this late stage for ****ness sake? This is all VERY old hat stuff from 2 YEARS ago, which was of no interest to others of us at the time, and is even less now Twisted Evil ?

Why has this suddenly come up out of the empty blue with such force? "A Capvermell by another name", me thinks, or a friend Shocked ?

Time to start locking threads again perhaps? There isn't much of relevance here to me at the moment as it happens, with Navigon being on the slide perhaps, but seeing this sort of stuff is at the limits Rolling Eyes .
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmuskett wrote:
I don't think he did, that was his whole point.

OK, it was over two years ago, I don't recall the fine details.
Quote:
Interesting wording. Does that mean moderators can see our profile data including email addresses?

Moderators can ONLY see email addresses if they're set to publicly viewable by the user. They DO NOT have access to user details other than those visible by every other user.

I'm not saying anything more on this matter, we wasted far too much time on it the first time around.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So here's a trice and this is the end of it - I really don't care to feed the Troll any more, so there'll be no more from me after this…

Once - Capvermell did indeed refer to his speeding conviction in previous posts. I would not have known about it otherwise.

Twice - I was told at the time (after being instructed by pgpsw management to make no further posts), that all relevant posts were removed from the forum under the terms of the investigation into possible abuse of DPA. Not that they would have helped greatly, as Capvermell had a disquieting habit of editing his posts beyond all recognition after anybody found discrepancies in them. But pgpsw did find his own reference to his speeding conviction.

Trice - This is what I can see of your profile in my capacity as a Moderator - is that any more than you can see of mine?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
bmuskett
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
I'm not saying anything more on this matter, we wasted far too much time on it the first time around.

Not even to tell me how you found Capvermell on Google? I am genuinely curious. I thought I knew my way around Google. A pm will do.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fifteen seconds found this There are more. Find even more if you put the name in quotes.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And once you know someone is a Yahoo user, a quick Google search for discussion groups with 'Yahoogroups' and 'capvermell' reveals:

http://dir.groups.yahoo.com/group/1worldspace_radio/message/602?o=1&d=-1

And bob's your uncle. I concede that 10 secs may have been a little off kilter, but it took no more than a minute. Now can we move on?
bmuskett
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk wrote:
Why on earth should he - what's to clear up at this late stage for ****ness sake? This is all VERY old hat stuff from 2 YEARS ago, which was of no interest to others of us at the time, and is even less now Twisted Evil ?

Why has this suddenly come up out of the empty blue with such force? "A Capvermell by another name", me thinks, or a friend Shocked ?

Neither. I'll own up. I've always had a problem with Dennis as a moderator, although he has mellowed recently, possibly as a direct result of the Capvermell episode. This came out of the blue as a result of a post from Dennis about TomTom's treatment of their forum users, which I thought was rich considering what happened to Capvermell as a result of a disagreement with Dennis.

BigPerk wrote:
Time to start locking threads again perhaps? There isn't much of relevance here to me at the moment as it happens, with Navigon being on the slide perhaps, but seeing this sort of stuff is at the limits Rolling Eyes .

It can be locked as far as I'm concerned. But as people always say, you don't have to read these threads. My policy when reading forums is that if I can't work out from the thread subject whether I'm likely to be interested, I don't bother. I don't have time to read every post in every thread in every forum. And if I read a thread and find it's not relevant after all, I don't bother with it any more.
bmuskett
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
So here's a trice and this is the end of it - I really don't care to feed the Troll any more, so there'll be no more from me after this…

Once - Capvermell did indeed refer to his speeding conviction in previous posts. I would not have known about it otherwise.

Would you point out the post where he did that? I can't find one. It appears I'm not having much luck finding stuff these days.

DennisN wrote:
Twice - I was told at the time (after being instructed by pgpsw management to make no further posts), that all relevant posts were removed from the forum under the terms of the investigation into possible abuse of DPA. Not that they would have helped greatly, as Capvermell had a disquieting habit of editing his posts beyond all recognition after anybody found discrepancies in them. But pgpsw did find his own reference to his speeding conviction.

Again, I can't find one, or an edited post of his before your reference to it. Sorry.

DennisN wrote:
Trice - This is what I can see of your profile in my capacity as a Moderator - is that any more than you can see of mine?

Nope.
bmuskett
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
And once you know someone is a Yahoo user, a quick Google search for discussion groups with 'Yahoogroups' and 'capvermell' reveals:

http://dir.groups.yahoo.com/group/1worldspace_radio/message/602?o=1&d=-1

And bob's your uncle. I concede that 10 secs may have been a little off kilter, but it took no more than a minute. Now can we move on?

Be my guest.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Guestbook and Feedback All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: